New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back To The Future: The Wiebe Way
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is truely something to be proud of. The colorcase hardening is awesome. Who did it for you?

Posts: 40 | Location: Brandon, SD | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdh600:
That is truely something to be proud of. The colorcase hardening is awesome. Who did it for you?

Duane had it done by Turnbull's. They set the standard for color case hardening.

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The colorcase hardening is awesome.

I couldn't agree more. That's something I have always wanted to do to a receiver but, never had the guts. From a technical or metalurgical point of view, what does colorcase hardening do for the hardness. I realize that it is supposed to make it harder but, in contrast to having the receiver heat treated via another method is colorcase hardening equal to or greater than other current methods of heat treating?

Sorry to bother with technical questions.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Mike! A beautiful rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

How long is the stock forearm measured from the front ring to the tip?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

What trigger did you use? Is a commercial one or the original military reformed?
Thanks,

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The timing of the action screws - are they so because the customer lives in a drier climate than Duane?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay...I always time action screws like this because after a time, re-assembling, etc..they WILL come to battery...nothing looks worse than to be past 12 o'clock

Color case....well...Don Allen told me that when he sent acions off to Turnbull, they were the same hardness as before. I suspect Turnbulls pocess is at lower temps, though there IS a very thin case! I know that parts tend to warp very little, though thin pieces have come back a little wapperjawed on occasion.

The bottom line is that Turnbulls are comfortable with the process..were they not, they would sure be left hanging.

The trigger is a Timney, I reshaped the lever more like a shotgun

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle!

I have always been a sucker for a color case-hardened receiver on any rifle, and especially a bolt rifle.

Congrats to both maker and owner!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13615 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent rifle......... Definitely abolishes the urban legend: "bolt actions can't be CC nowadays, 'cause they warp!" Also refutes the rumor stating: "Turnbull won't do anything but lever action Winchesters, or Colt single actions!"
Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Great work as usual Duane thumb

Another rifle to be treasured for generations.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1859 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Range report to follow tomorrow. If it shoots half as good as it looks, it will capable of 1/2" groups.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, as expected.

Were checkered boltknobs common on London Guns of that time, or a request from customer?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is the barrel and how much does the rifle weigh? Very Nice!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Finally got the measuring tape out.

Front Receiver Ring to End of Barrel: 23 1/4"
Front Receiver Ring to Tip of Stock: 7 7/8"
Bottom Metal: Blackburn (Duane was not making his at the time)
Checkered Bolt Knob: Blame Me
Weight: Have not weighed it yet

Mike

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
nice gun, to bad none of the screws are timed, that would have made it a very nice gun.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
nice gun, to bad none of the screws are timed, that would have made it a very nice gun.

If that is the difference between a "nice rifle" and a "very nice rifle" in your mind, . . . well let me just suggest that there are other things to consider. Like accuracy. First two shots this morning went into the same hole. Largest four shot group was under an inch. I was really pleased until I noticed that the screws were not timed, then I gave the rifle to another fellow at the range. moon

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're too much Mike. I don't think the poor guy has followed this and other threads that Duane has been on. He would know without asking why the threads are as they are.
It is a very very nice rifle!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
mike

sorry i did'nt try to dump on your gun, but it is made to a very high standard, and then when the screws are not timed that is just out of place to me.

p.s. regarding accuracy a savage 110 usually shoots extremely well, as should yours, so congratulations with that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Butch..next time, I'll make sure I put a big preamble about action screw timing...kinda get tired of plowing the same ground

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Duane,
You have explained it many times as well as a few threads ahead of his. I would get tired of doing it also.
I did get my screws and they aren't timed right. Just BSing you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Another outstanding guild gun that combines form with function. If I were a 4-legged animal, I'd be honored to take the first bullet for you.

GREAT work, Duane.

-- Brian/ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
What a great rifle. Congrats to the builder & owner. Outstanding details & workmanship. A true classic. clap

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Thanks, Butch..next time, I'll make sure I put a big preamble about action screw timing...kinda get tired of plowing the same ground

actually mr. wiebe my major thing were the claw mounts screws. i understand what you are saying about the action screws, but why not time the screws on the claw mounts, im sure your coustumers wont fiddel with them.

best regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, absolutely beautiful rifle. And Duane, flawless and inspiring work as always.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Mr. Peter...just for you. I'll index the screws next time..

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

When most folks ask about using Mauser 98 actions I say it isn't a good basis for a custom, acording to how most are built. But this, this is the sort of rifle that should be built on those wonderful 98's.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:

actually mr. wiebe my major thing were the claw mounts screws. i understand what you are saying about the action screws, but why not time the screws on the claw mounts, im sure your coustumers wont fiddel with them.

peter

When one see a gun made by Wiebe, it is easy to think it has no budget. But most guns do, even if made by a mastersmith, and some budgets are tighter than others.
I do not know about the budget on this gun, but at some point a maker has to compromize.
And a small thing like fixing those screws actually takes time too. I have never made a gun were I have not had to admit that I have done work outside the budget - and that is not good buisness. Then again, I am leagues behind Wiebe as a gunmaker -but a budget is still a budget...

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm gonna cry !!!

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
OK Mr. Peter...just for you. I'll index the screws next time..

mr. wiebe

thank you, the guns you build deserves it.

best regards

peter

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have always been curious why some people put so much emphasis on the direction of the screw slots on custom guns. I have also wondered whether you should make the screw head conform to the curvature of the area, as I have found many German builders to do, or just put a uniform but independent curve to the screw head . When screws are retightened with use you get the same disassociation with uniformity and therefore to me it has always been a real waste of effort. Just to be different I once built a rifle withe all the screwslots perfectly aligned ------ crossways to the barrel. Didn't look any better or worse to me and after several disassemblies they were off any way. I now just uniformly round the heads as slightly as possible and use allens where possible and the problem disappears.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Maybe the solution to the vexing international problem of alignment of screw slots ("ASS"), a problem that weighs so heavily on the minds of many troubled souls, is to just use hex head screws. Cool

Mike

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Maybe the solution to the vexing international problem of alignment of screw slots ("ASS"), a problem that weighs so heavily on the minds of many troubled souls, is to just use hex head screws. Cool

cute

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
When Duane and I first talked I told him that I wanted to recreate a rifle that would look like it came right off of the rack of one of the London gunmakers in the 1920's.

a london gun from the 1920 would have all it's screws timed, if you dont think that is importent then why did'nt you say german sporter from before the second war.

the reason why the screws stay timed, is that the costumor has enough trust in his best gun maker. that he dont need to fiddel with his best gun after he recives it.

best regards

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Peter: Appreciate your efforts to point out my character flaws, but the job has already been taken by my wife. Ahh...don't have any 1920 London bolt spoters in the shop right now...perhaps you'll post photos

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I have to disagree...last time I was in London I spent a lot of time in the high end gun shops looking at many early 1900 guns and lots of them had untimed screws.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Peter,

I have to disagree...last time I was in London I spent a lot of time in the high end gun shops looking at many early 1900 guns and lots of them had untimed screws.

And I doubt VERY much the rest held the quality of the gun we are taking about. I have seen some English guns with HighEnd names that are just FUGLY.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Maybe the solution to the vexing international problem of alignment of screw slots ("ASS"), a problem that weighs so heavily on the minds of many troubled souls, is to just use hex head...."

It does sound like a good solution (for somebodys elses gun) Duane plesae don't use hex heads on my gun.

You should never build guns for jackasses, but wait until your finished with mine first!

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timed screw slots or not, I got to fondle Mike's rifle yesterday. The feel, fit and finish are exceptional. The most flawless inletting I have ever seen. First class checkering, super attention to detail on the sights, sling swivel, bolt stop and scope mount bases.
It is most certainly a "best" quality piece as bolt action rifles go.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It's a nice rifle but it could get better.

the only possible way it could be better is if the initial properly said JLS rather than MJL ..

perfect timing on the Screws, peter... no one IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, would not adjust the screws on a rifle when it went from gloomy england to africa ... that's why the best guns came with a custom set of tools, including screws drivers.

some people aren't hapy unless than find .002% fly specs in the pepper

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jawheeler:
"Maybe the solution to the vexing international problem of alignment of screw slots ("ASS"), a problem that weighs so heavily on the minds of many troubled souls, is to just use hex head...."

It does sound like a good solution (for somebodys elses gun) !

<no offense, jawheeler>

Sounds like the solution is to help the complainer unjam their head out of the problem, as one can clearly see, inorder to complain about this, once must have one's head deeply jammed into the problem.

As we can clearly see, neither Mike or jawheeler suffer from this problem

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote