Find
Notify
Tools

Back To The Future: The Wiebe Way
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Earlier this year, after admiring his work on line and the work he has done for others like Forrest Bruch and Mike Parks, I decided to commission Duane Wiebe to build me a rifle. When Duane and I first talked I told him that I wanted to recreate a rifle that would look like it came right off of the rack of one of the London gunmakers in the 1920's. The action we used was a 1909 Peruvian. I wanted to leave the high charger hump and have claw mounts that were flush with the charger hump. The caliber was to be 9.3x62. To keep it period correct, we wanted a nice piece of wood but nothing fancy -- a red Silvers pad of course. The swivel studs should be the oversized style typical on rifles from that era. Keep the engraving to a minimum. Color case harden the metal parts to give it a bit of a distinctive look.

See for yourself, I think Duane has done his craft proud and built a rifle that I am proud to call mine. I waited to post pictures until I could unveil the final product. It was worth the wait in my opinion.

Thanks Duane. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle, congrats.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJines:
Earlier this year,..
It was worth the wait in my opinion.

Earlier this year?!?!?!?!, that aint no wait man.

But seriously, Duane obviously knows how to run a business and you obviously made a very good choice of gunsmith. Congratulations.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
That is a beautiful rifle! I know you have a special place for it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
clap " I LIKE IT "

Great idea... Great finished product!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mjines, Congradulations !! clap

This is a beautiful rifle. I really like it.
Isn't it amazing as to what can happen when you seek the help of Forrest and Duane.

I just love how the words "Mauser Original" show up on the front ring next to the scope base.

What does the barrel measure from the front receiver ring to the tip of the barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Earlier this year
Please tell me it took longer than that. I need a drink.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Wow! That'll be a family heirloom for sure. Very nice indeed.

Is that Fisher bottom metal? I like that.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous working rifle, Mike, congrats! Superb work, Mr. Wiebe!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very classy. good job.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 1927 Wm. Oschatz 9.3 and have a Type B "Obie" in 9.3 and that rifle carries on the tradition of building rifles the way they SHOULD be built! To my eyes, that is perfection, simply a superb functional work of art.

Of course, from Duane, one expects such magnificent quality. You are a lucky man and have exquisite taste.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Very nice, I like the stock blank-,

Mike, How long is the stock forend measurement from the front ring?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What has to be done to the 98/09 Peruvian receiver to handle the 9.3X62?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey..what fun to see this on AR...this was a"happy" job...The Peruvian needs to be opened up, though aftermarket bottom metal will fit, since screw spacing is "normal"

The 9.3 x 62 is cartridge that I have gained a lot of respect. A customer took one I made to the Selous and claimed it was a "death ray" one shot on everything except a sable...even a nice buff turned "turtle"

The nice thing is that very little needs to be done to the action...Had the Boers won the war, we'd probably be using the 9.3 instead of the 375.

Thanks for the nice comments,,,Duane

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, what is the story of the claw mounts?? Did you obtain those form a commercial source, or are they custom?? I don't recall ever having seen a rear base fitting behind the charger hump.

Nice gun!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the front claw base dovetailed into the ring as were some back in the day?

(edited: oops- I see the screw heads on the photo, now)

That is one distinctive CC'd bolt on that f****r- a commanding presence (all the CC is exceptional).

Also, do I see some detail on the rear edge of the thumb cut leading up to the charger slot?

Beautiful rifle. Just beautiful.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... that is a modern CLASSIC!!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL rifle. Duane should be proud. You should be ecstatic! Ain't no better words I can think of at the moment.

And what a caliber choice ... just terrific.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Mike, you and Duane should both be proud.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12698 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The only thing I'd change are the initials on the shield.

That rifle has so many neat details that I want to see in person. Tin Can, one of them is the checkering that you're looking at on the forward edge of the bolt release tab. The tab was left long as it came from the factory and wraps up and over the left side of the action.

Mike, there won't be many like that one at the deer camp.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word-WOW!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work on a great idea!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
More like...SAAAAAAwwwhhhhheeeeet!!!!!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
More like...SAAAAAAwwwhhhhheeeeet!!!!!

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me answer a couple questions: the rear base is a commercial "blank" by Recknagel...contoured to fit the brige

The checkered detail on the bolt stop forward part is owner's idea...worked well, kept everything as issued, still makes it easy to remove bolt...Thanks, Mike...I'll use your idea again!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Mike and Duane. That's a great example of craftsmanship and taste. Gives me some more ideas for a future project I'm slowly trying to piece together. Gotta find a 1910 or 1936 Mexican to start with. Then we'll get off to the races, hopefully. Gotta be a 7x57 along the same lines as Mike's.

Mike, again, beautiful. Duane, as expected. Great choice of caliber as well. Congratulations.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
outstanding!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME rifle.
Kudos Duane and Mike!!!

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Thanks a bunch for sharing this masterpiece!

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Doesn't get any better.....

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Duane:

quote:
Had the Boers won the war, we'd probably be using the 9.3 instead of the 375.

Very very true! Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly a Beautiful Rifle Srs.!
I want to ask: the opening of the action was made to the rear, the front or both ways? What brand of barrel did you use?
Thank you and congratulation for the rifle!
PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the rear as much as possible (damn little) then to the front. The barrel is a Keiger...don't think Scrollcutter was given his due...the tasteful monogram is his work. Very much like seen on early 20h century guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! just Wow!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
The only thing I'd change are the initials on the shield.

That rifle has so many neat details that I want to see in person.

+1

Mike, I agree, it sure feels great to have one of your dreams come true.

I hope to get to kill some DWJs with it someday.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beautiful! Thanks a bunch for sharing this masterpiece!

+1

Mike, please don't tell us/me that it is a "truck" gun Wink. I don't think I could live with myself.

P.S. I think it is neat or cool that you left the crest, etc on the front receiver ring. You don't see that alot.
In all sincerity, an incredible piece of "art".

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rifle arrived tonight. I looked like a kid on Christmas morning opening it. The pictures really do not do it justice, particularly the stock. The stock is a much richer color than shows up in the pictures. The rifle is stunning. Is it odd to sleep with a rifle in bed between you and your wife? Eeker

Thanks again Duane.

Mike

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Is it odd to sleep with a rifle in bed between you and your wife? Eeker

Thanks again Duane.

For that rifle, she should make an exception.

Beautiful rifle!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Breathtaking.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a nice rifle but it could get better.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It's a nice rifle but it could get better.

Loosen the chin strap on that helmet, it is obviously restricting good blood flow.

Thanks for all the nice comments on the rifle, I am sure that Duane appreciates the recognition of his artisanship and talents.

Mike