Find
Notify
Tools

Back To The Future: The Wiebe Way
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Fact of the matter is this. It's a Weibe rifle.

Damn right its going to be nice. The mans been knockin out Mausers since the 60's. That grade of rifle does not happen by accident.

Go to the guild show some time, take look around.
There's not a bad rifle in the whole room!!!

I may be preaching to the choir here but man...
If you have not been...Just GO!! See it...Drool.

But most impotantly. Get one built, That's why those guys are there.

It's awesome really. There's a keeper rifle on every table as far I'm concerned.

S.C.S.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a london gun from the 1920 would have all it's screws timed, if you dont think that is importent then why did'nt you say german sporter from before the second war.

A london gun from the 1920s would not have had a Model 70 type 3 position safety either!

Who cares!

Nice Rifle.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I really can’t believe I’m taking the time to do this but here goes…

Original Holland & Holland 375

Original Rigby 350

Original Rigby 416

Original Atkin Purdey 275

Another Original Rigby 350

Original Westley Richards 318

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's how I see things:

The Wiebe rifle has so much more time and effort put into it than most the British or German bolt rifles of the pre-war period that it just isn't a fair comparison. The old bolt-rifles have a magic about them that many of us find irresistible but the truth of the matter is that the fit and finish never approached that found on best quality shotguns or side-by-side rifles from the same makers.

I like the action screws timed at 11 o'clock for the reason Duane explained. I like the little screws timed to be parallel with the bore but that's an added (and not insignificant expense) that's best left to the personal taste of the buyer.

Duane can give you a better estimate, but figure on $50 per screw to get them timed. There are about 13 small screws (eight on the rings, four on the bases and one on the bolt release) to be timed so that would have cost about $650. Any of you guys who want timed screws on your rifles be sure to let Duane know, he's fully capable of doing the job. Just be prepared to pay for them.

Since we're going to nitpick over personal choices and spending other people's money, I would have definitely used a better piece of wood, a different scope, a custom front claw mount, custom scope rings, gold wire work, a different grip cap and a checkered steel buttplate. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...it's a CUSTOM rifle and it wasn't built for ME!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously a client with taste, and a "smith" with great talent! Outstanding!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, since Forrest posted these nice pictures of some British rifles BM floor plates would be so kind as
to post a picture or two of your bottom metal floorplate just for visual reference?

I ask this in NO WAY to be critical of your BM styling at all.

Since there are variations in the style from different makers I just thought it would be nice see yours also.
I will be using two of your BM assemblies shortly so I am not "concerned" about the "look" or style of yours.

If I had the option, my favorite style of floor plate is the is the pre war H&H style like in the first picture
Forrest posted.

I wouldn't care if my rifles screw heads were indexed all the same.

Duane and Mike, what a beautiful rifle!

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, if you are going to post all those pictures of junky foreign guns with mis-timed screws, might I supply an address for you to dispose of them?

Fabulous rifle, Duane. If it hadn't been pointed out, I never would have noticed what direction the screw slots pointed. Guess I was too busy lookin' at all the other GOOD STUFF!!!

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ForrestB:
I really can’t believe I’m taking the time to do this but here goes…

Forrest,
You must be tired of watching football and eating turkey! We need to go to lunch.

Mike and Duane......very nice rifle!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
Duane, since Forrest posted these nice pictures of some British rifles BM floor plates would be so kind as
to post a picture or two of your bottom metal floorplate just for visual reference?

I ask this in NO WAY to be critical of your BM styling at all.
Yes...another 10 days ..hell I got skin an inch thick..no problem at all
Since there are variations in the style from different makers I just thought it would be nice see yours also.
I will be using two of your BM assemblies shortly so I am not "concerned" about the "look" or style of yours.

If I had the option, my favorite style of floor plate is the is the pre war H&H style like in the first picture
Forrest posted.

I wouldn't care if my rifles screw heads were indexed all the same.

Duane and Mike, what a beautiful rifle!

Allen

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos Forrest!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle!!
Any plans on a sling and swivels?
Hooks or Thong?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have a khaki canvas sling with leather on the ends and hooks to attach to the swivel posts. Got the hooks from Jeff's Outfitters:

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com...id=386&categoryid=62

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Great rifle! As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "It doesn't get any better...just different". Something to treasure and enjoy for many years to come.

Duane,
It was good to get to talk with you at the ACGG show. I hope to fit into the "...just different" category. I consider your work an inspiration to continue to strive for excellence in gunmaking and as my daughter might say, YOU ROCK
clap clap

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just finished reading Sanchez-Arino book on African calibers where he bemoaned selling his original Gibbs 505 (for a small fortune), so went cruising thru guns international and saw this, 2nd to last picture. could be an optical delusion but... would expect better for $34k.

they also had a "pair" of engraved H&H for $42k, since sold, with none of 4 action screws matching!

now, if I could affording, I would buy a Gibbs, but sure would like a bit more attention to detail.

I did afford a pair, 416 and 505, from a New Mexico gunsmith, solid work, trapdoor grip caps perfectly aligned but one opens north, the other south, so I would not get them mixed Smiler

Steve

[URL= http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100397503 ]George Gibbs 505[/URL]

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
The only thing I'd change are the initials on the shield.

I agree, to me it would look more period with an older font. The Leupold matte black scope looks way out of place too. It needs a blued steel barreled scope. The gun is absolutely beautiful. As stated the color case on the bolt is striking.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
The only thing I'd change are the initials on the shield.

I agree, to me it would look more period with an older font.

I think he meant he wanted his initials on it... Wink

Beautiful work.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
WOW! --- The posts jumped from February 1, 2009 to January 3, 2014.
MJines - Can we get some updated pictures and info regarding how the rifle has been shooting over the past five years?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spectacular rifle Mike. Congrats. Good job Duane.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote