THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    .338-06 guild rifle update. Almost finished. (Pics)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338-06 guild rifle update. Almost finished. (Pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
The term Guild rifle is used in reference to the barrel! In no way am I comparing my work to anything or body! Just wanted to make things clear on that front Wink

Well, I've gone about as far as I can with it and it's off for a checkering job and bluing. It's been a lot of fun and I really like the way it turned out. The digital camera just loves red for some reason. It's not as bright in person, but I figured I would mess it up worse if I tried to photo shop the pictures.

In about 6 or 7 weeks I should be posting pictures of the finished rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

How did you finish the stock? Did you color it first?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yes, color went on first. I used Pilkingtons english red. On the finish I used Gun-SavR Custom oil. It's a spray on finish. I also use the Laurel Mountain Permalyn stock finish, but choose to use this because it builds up quick and there is a lot less chance of breaking the finish and getting into the stain. I've done that before with stained wood and if it happens you might as well sand it back to bare wood and start all over. The Gun-SavR is a amateurs best friend. It still needs to be buffed out. I want to wait till I get it back from the checkerer before I do that. It'll be 6-7 weeks more cured by then.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Terry: Nice looking rifle, and the caliber is my favorite! Where was the wood bought, I have 2 blanks from hunterbid that i hope turn out close to that. Straight grain and black mineral streaking like yours and with a honey brown background. I plan to revamp mine after the season is over, also like the way the barrel looks! good job... thumb
Also, what is the length and final up front diameter of this barrel?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The wood came from Luxus walnut and that was a tale all in itself Big Grin To sum it up They are the most service oriented people I have ever delt with in my entire life. The first blank I bought off his web site and it wasn't big enough. I sent it back and before it was over with Adam Freeman meet me in a parking lot in Cincinnati OH with a pickup truck full of Turkish Walnut. That's service and Adam is a great guy.

The front DIA on the barrel is .560 Jim Dubell over at Clearwater Reboring did the rebore.

I just bought another one of these guild barrels recently in 8X60 so this may just be round one Roll Eyes

Terry

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Looks great Terry!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Came out really nice! Who ya gonna have do the bluing and checkering?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Looks great Terry!

Thanks Mike!

One thing I forgot to mention. Props for the new bolt handle go to Mike McCabe! It's mikes work and it's absolutely stunning. beer

Mike is a first rate smith all the way. He recently put a Husky 1640 barreled action together for me. It's at James Andersons now having the stock duplicted. As soon as I get it fitted, pictures will be posted.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Came out really nice! Who ya gonna have do the bluing and checkering?

The bluing and checkering are going to be done locally. The checkering by Tim Smith and the bluing by Jeff Colley.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. What is the LOP? It looks long. I like mine about 15", if it is too long I can take it off your hands.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
LOP is 13 7/8". Normally I like mine at 13 1/2" but when they kick I like just a little extra.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice Terry!
Is that stocked patterned after the one on your short barreled 9.3?
If so how does it do switching between irons and scope?
I have the itch to stock my 9.3 in a similar shape.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Very nice Terry!
Is that stocked patterned after the one on your short barreled 9.3?
If so how does it do switching between irons and scope?
I have the itch to stock my 9.3 in a similar shape.

Yes, it's the same pattern with a few changes. The biggest being the forearm went to 8 1/2" and I tried a few new things around the grip area. But yes, it's pretty much the same.

I find the layout on this stock to be about perfect for irons and a scope. It's about 5/8" at the wrist and 1 3/8" at the heel. I've never liked pushing my face into the buttstock to get a sight picture like you have to do on most modern designs. It's very comfortable using the scope you don't need to get down on it for the irons. I think those guy's years ago were onto something. Wink

Terry

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Looks great. How does the spray do filling the pores and how many coats did it take? I've like the idea of a reddish stain but didn't want to deal with the hassles of cutting through with the way I finish a stock.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Dempsey, I've used it for filling pours, but there are better ways to do it. I usually just mix up some rottonstone with some Permalyn sealer and make a mud. I rub the mud in the pours and let it dry. After that I wet sand it smooth. Give it a few day's to dry then seal and then spray.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Terry! I like the stain on that particular piece.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Terry
outstanding.. great work.. your best to date... wow!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's! It's been a lot of fun (and a few sleepless nights)

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry-

That is absolutely stunning!!!!!! The reddish stain is a great touch!!!

Congrats Wink

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
T

That is really really nice. can't wait for the checkering. enjoy
Rich

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Looks good Terry thumb

You must be ready for a new project. Big Grin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Looks good Terry thumb

You must be ready for a new project. Big Grin

You got it. How did it turn out out anyway? can't wait to see it.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry:

Can you give a little more info about the barrel? Do I see correctly that it has a "rib" that travels the whole length of it?

That red stain is unbelievable. I love it. Good work!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
How did it turn out out anyway? can't wait to see it.
Terry

I'm sure I could find a good home for it. Great layout, lots of contrast. I'd need to find a husky though. Not sure my chihuahua would approve of a big dog in the house.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Nice work, looks great, congrats. Well thought out, if you can refresh my memory what action bbl, etc? Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I fondled that stock (rather briskly I might add). The stock blank was just about as good as Ive seen. You have a good eye for what makes a stock blank.

Its going to be incredible when its finished. I would work on that stick in a heart beat and I would like to see pictures as it progresses.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Terry your rifles are always one to aspire to.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
pictures like these are why I log on here 20 times a day. Just awesome!

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
jsl3170, the barrel is 1/2 round 1/2 octagon with a full length integral rib. These were almost common on German custom rifles 50 or so years ago. Today the same barrel will cost you $2000+ to build, but if you look around some times you can find these old take off's at a good price. I just picked up another one this week. GunBroker auction

James, I eagerly await my package and I really like your dog Big Grin

Bill, I had no idea till the other day you and James were neighbors. All that talent on one street. I need to stop by for a visit one day! I'm glad you like the Husky stock. You think you might want to checker it for me when the time comes?

GSP7, it will look fine once checkered. Do you see the other Mauser pictured on this thread? Same pattern, same grip. Don't be hate'n , dude Cool

Terry

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
TC, thanks, is the barrel above a 're-bore' curious.

Also, what action is that? Nice handle-Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Its good having James for a neighbor. When I need serious metalwork done is pretty handy to pass the project over the fence.

I'll scratch your stock for you when the time comes.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill Wink

6.5BR, Jim Dubell of Clearwater reboring did it. It started life as a 8mm. The action is a Safari Arms M98. Mike McCabe did the bolt handle. He posts on here as Z1R. He's very good.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Thanks Bill Wink

6.5BR, Jim Dubell of Clearwater reboring did it. It started life as a 8mm. The action is a Safari Arms M98. Mike McCabe did the bolt handle. He posts on here as Z1R. He's very good.

Terry

I'll second that!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Looks like ALL involved are very good! Must be proud! Nice when things all come together, hope you enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I say start over from scratch and send that crude ugly thing to me...I am such a giver to take that charity case off yer hands Big Grin Wink

It is a beauty but even more a beauty done by yourself thumb thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry and Bill,
I just oiled up a near match to Terry's stock blank in this thread. It is inventory number 1-1602.
It is a beautiful blank and should turn like this one here.
It is not on the website yet but we will post it soon, unless of course someone calls on it. It will be in the $1,000-1,200 range. Deduct 15% for AR memebers.

Thanks for the nice comments Terry. Sorry i did not see them sooner, i have been away hunting.

Take care,

Adam

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Adam,

Bring that blank to Reno so I can look at in person. hehehe.....

Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
We will have a pile of them!

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about sending a blank to Roberson composits in canada, and have them make a quality fiberglass stock?e

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote