THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    how about making a 358 hawk out of a 35 whelen 7600 pump? better than a norma magnum!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how about making a 358 hawk out of a 35 whelen 7600 pump? better than a norma magnum!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
how hard can it be to make a 358 hawk out of a rem 7600 whelen pump? i know that bolt action is a religion to most, but i cant help but think this would be cool as heck! and according to hawk, it is as good as the norma magnum what do you think?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Didn't you just ask this basic question the other day??

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/287108462

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Set back one thread and rechamber. Cost $135 at http://z-hat.com/rechamber.htm

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
boomstick,
send you a pump to zhat!

it would work, but not everyone's tastes

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
fireball..that was the 338-06. (still would be awesome)says the 358 hawk (same bullet as the whelen) would be as good as the norma mag Big Grin dave that sounds pretty cheap!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the Hawk is not as powerful as the Norma. It has less powder capacity and when loaded to the same pressures, it will be less powerful. Additionally, I would not push the envelope pressure-wise with the 7600 to begin with.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Marc said. The 760 reacts poorly to high pressure and heavy bullets. Especially if there is a little extra grease on the bolt-lock lever.

For whatever reaswon, high pressure and a little bullet like the 6MM Remington or 243 doesn't suffer as badly.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problem or concern shooting full power Whelens in my 7600. Of course, I have always worked up the load and not tried to shoot loads that were too hot.
My question is what is wrong with the regular Whelen as chambered?? It seems like a fine cartridge to me? It is not a common number as is, why something even more rare?

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote