THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    45-110 blr? cheap good boomthudder can it be this easy?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-110 blr? cheap good boomthudder can it be this easy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
o.k. i am sure some of you heard about all the 300 win mag blr conversions, how about getting the 300 blr and ordering the .458 barrel for their .450 marlin rechamber and come up with a 45-110 that should throw 500 grainers at about 2200 to 2300 fps. what do you think and how dificult would this be or am i just in fantasyland with a pipe dream? starline does the brass, this would be killer! sorry for the bad punn. i know that the 50-110 has been done, i like the .458 better

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get it in 7 rem and put a 458 win on it...
or 416 taylor

BAR would be cool, too
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Case of a .45-110 is 2.875" long.
the case of a .50-110 is 2.5" long.

such projects mystify me, but if you can deal with the recoil and the case length, it's your money.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the .458 win mag would equal it with a lot less fuss in getting it to feed etc.

Personally I would go for the big 50-110.............I have one so I have to get other people to be as stupid as me Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
o.k. i am sure some of you heard about all the 300 win mag blr conversions, how about getting the 300 blr and ordering the .458 barrel for their .450 marlin rechamber and come up with a 45-110 that should throw 500 grainers at about 2200 to 2300 fps. what do you think and how dificult would this be or am i just in fantasyland with a pipe dream? starline does the brass, this would be killer! sorry for the bad punn. i know that the 50-110 has been done, i like the .458 better

I have rebarreled the long BLR's to some heavier calibers (358 Norma, 416 Taylor, 375 Chatfield-Taylor) but have not attempted any of the rimmed cartridges. The breeching system of the BLR may not be all that amenable to use for a rimmed cartridge and there would likely be some significant feeding issues. Detachable magazines are sometimes quite cartridge specific.
I did build a couple of .45x 2 7/8 rifles on No. 1s many years back. In a strong action it's a pretty impressive cartridge and I liked the hollow sounding "thunk" of the big cartridge sliding home. I never shot anything with my rifle and eventually traded to a guy who did shoot a small black bear with it. The 400 grain Speer bullet, started off at about 2650fps, practically eviscerated the 25 yd distant bear. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 375 chat-tay has appealed to me, those of you who have done the 50-110 and the 45-110...have you had any feeding issues? how many can you fit down below?

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
boomstick,
you might try to find a could pieces of brass of the related rounds, and look at the differences... if you feel you could possibly make one from the other, chances are, it could get to feed in the change...

rimmed rounds and blr's dont' go together do to mechanics.

honestly, we answered this question for you... you can take a mag and rebarrel to another mag... as price is a stated issue for your projects, you should avoid strong/wild alterations, as these are a great deal of gunsmithin time... and that time is at a high rate of money.

i'll be straight with you... you can not put a 55-110 in a blr... you might have a prayer of a 50-70.. as you can rebarrel to 458 winmag, there's no USE in a 45-110, much less the huge feeding issues you would have trying to do that.

i wouldn't touch that project with a blank signed check sitting in my safe, awaiting the proud owner to sign off for being 100 percent satisfied... even if it was from bill gates, i'd never get to collect it.

it's nice to have these ideas, and perhaps you could buy a gunsmithing book or three and see what some of these issues are.

besides, it's pure fiction to think a 45 110 could throw a 550 grainer at 2200-2300 fps at it's designed pressure... and the recoil/boot/twist of a blr would make you cry at the wasted money spent, because a 8 pound blr -no it won't be any heavier than 9 pounds due to design- would beat the ever loving fire out of a man, and might break that skinny, sharp dropping, narrow buttstock.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffo,

not to be argumentitive, but a fellow whom posts here called Martin Potts says he has a blr that has been converted to 50-110.

When I heard I was thinking about all the stuffing around I had to do to get the 1886 imported here to Oz from the states.......would have been simpler to do it on a BLR but not as classy...........time has healed the wounds and I am happy I vae my 50-110 on an 1886 Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful what you wish for, as the saying goes. I rechambered a #1 to 45-120 and every time I pulled the trigger I got a nosebleed. That kind of horsepower in an 8lb. rifle is nasty. I have a 50-110 on a rolling block but don't load it too quick.Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
thanks jeffeosso for the warning...i have heard of others having a 50-110 in the blr and wanted some of that fun too. 35404...thanks also, i would have to do a lot to make it shootable. those of you who have a 50-110, any of you out there? what do you have to say about these issues?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick my 50-110 is on a mirouko/winchester 1886 that was a 45/70, have yet to do some shooting with it but it will be a powerful short range hog cannon !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick, here is a pic of my 50-110 on the 1886;