Find
Notify
Tools

I
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post

My, that looks tasty.

Perhaps Duane could add a few recipes to his Integral Barrel Machining booklet. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
The barrel would be a 2" round, tuliped to octagon, tapered over a finish length of 26". It would have a full length rib on what would be the top rib, just like a lot of the Pre-WWII Mauser Guild rifles.

It can't be that complicated to just ask Dan at McGowan; or are you guys:

a. enjoying looking ignorant of the simple facts.

b. or plain old stupid.

With the CNC machinery of the past several years, and a plethora of competent programmers, doing something like this is not beyond the capabilities of a good Machine Tool Technology two year associates degree.

Stop drinking the koolaid...

Rich,
Since you think the rest of us are "ignorant" or just "plain old stupid" why don't you enlighten us with with your educational back ground & technical expertise, or is it based on the 773 pages of your post responces on everything that you seem to be an expert on? Are you or have you ever been concidered a competant programmer? Do you have a degree in machine tool technology? This thread was started by an accomplished gunsmith showing & offering to make available a instructional guide on how to do this type of work, Then all the sidewalk experts had to chime in about the simplicity with todays equipment & EDM & how it can be done in 3 hours. Even though tuliped to octagon with raised rib is easier than the octagonal to round with raised integral rib & ramped front sight platform as seen on the custom early mausers, I still contend a custom 1 off barrel in this configuration can't be well done (finished) in the time frame you state. I base my opinion on my background & educational completion of the degrees you mention, as well as the past 40 years in manufacturing in the aerospace industry, including estimating/bidding, scheduling, programing, setup, machining, Quality Assurance.
Now if you want to continue to beleive in your little fairy tale of whipping one out with one of your magical mills that will hold a millionth of an inch tolerance in 3 hours thats fine, but don't expect those of us who know better to follow you down your primrose path drinking the same flavour koolaid you seem to enjoy! Looking forward to seeing what you receive for $560 vs the completed one Duane is working on which I am willing to bet that he would not sell you for that amount.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M4220,
Thank you!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Thank you M4220. First of all, I'm going to keep my favorite rib recipe a SECRET...maybe should have done the same re machining.

My goal is to show how I do it wih a plain old Bridgeport...a one off. I respect Mc Gowan Company. At $560.00 I'd call it a charitable contribution...even if they could do it wilth PFM instead of CNC or EDM.

PFM= Pure F...ing magic???
I have a Bridgeport, engine lathe, & surface grinder tooled & set up in my Hangar 75 yards from my house and well understand and appreciate the type of work Duane is doing and also the time it takes to do it with that type of equipment! Carry on!!

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we old fart machinists have to leave the secrets in the tool chest:

At other times we just have to leave the sleeping dog alone:

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too.

The process has always intrigued me ............ and I'm enough of a masochist to attempt it.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
M4220,Thank you!

X3 tu2

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I know you said warp has not been an issue when questioned about it, then ran across this older thread where it has been discussed before and may be worthy of review in case it should ever become an issue.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...471038351#7471038351

m4220

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I have about 30 rounds through that barrel and have seen no ill effects so far. No, that's not a lot of shooting but even so I'm more apt to think over heating when shooting would do the harm?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,
Nice work! Did you ever decide to have that one Cryo'd? I was just asking due to wondering about stress relief after machining with the non concentric areas of material left for the rib & front site ramp & wondering how that would effect the already finished bore? Duane said he has seen no warpage problems except " with button rifled barrels...EXCEPT Douglas. Of course, if you pay no attention to tail stock pressure ...anyone's guess"
So when I found the previous post where you guys had already had this same conversation I wanted to tie it with this thread as conventional reasoning would make one wonder if some method of stress relief would be required after the machining? Glad to hear that it hasn't been a problem & POI is not moving when multiple shots are fired and the barrel starts heating up.

m4220

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Steve,Nice work! Did you ever decide to have that one Cryo'd? I was just asking due to wondering about stress relief after machining with the non concentric areas of material left for the rib & front site ramp & wondering how that would effect the already finished bore? Duane said he has seen no warpage problems except " with button rifled barrels...EXCEPT Douglas. Of course, if you pay no attention to tail stock pressure ...anyone's guess"So when I found the previous post where you guys had already had this same conversation I wanted to tie it with this thread as conventional reasoning would make one wonder if some method of stress relief would be required after the machining? Glad to hear that it hasn't been a problem & POI is not moving when multiple shots are fired and the barrel starts heating up.m4220

Did not have barrel cryo'd. This is a buttoned riffled barrel and alls good. If one doesn't pay attention to tailstock pressure you could end up in trouble with a standard round barrel. I may yet do another for myself, NO way I'd do one for 500 dollars...But it does keep the gunpowder flowing through the veins. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, barely smart enough to call McGowan and ask. That, however, does put me ahead of most of the naysayers on this thread.

My college/professional background is not the issue here. What is, is the thread indicating some of you cannot fathom the simplicity of such barrel contouring operations.

Yes, it is ordered, May delivery. It will finish up at 28" length, and 5/8ths of an inch muzzle diameter. It is going to be a .450"/.400"/3" Jefferys.

I trust that meets with the self-appointed committee "of all things good and proper..." here.

Dan Wynne will make any of you that want one when he finished mine.

You have only to ask...

Merry Christmas to all,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Any new updates on the progress of the barrel machining project?

m4220

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What is, is the thread indicating some of you cannot fathom the simplicity of such barrel contouring operations.

Bwa ha ha! Excellent.

Duane, I look forward to your book on machining octagon barrels with an integral features. Everytime I read something you write I learn a little piece of information that usually results in a DUH and Ah HA! moment.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then all the sidewalk experts had to chime in about the simplicity with todays equipment & EDM

M4220
I can match every bit of you career and then some. In production a such a barrel is not a big deal. When done on a manual machine it is an adventure because one wrong move or calculation will scrap the blank.
I am not negative about Duane's process. It is the nature of low volume or onezie twozie open set up work.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR4759,
You can better my career? Have we ever met, or engaged in conversation before this post? I think your avatar say's alot about you. I am not here for a pissing contest with sidewalk experts, I just asked Duane for an update on HIS project because I KNOW what a chore it is to do the work he is doing on a conventional machine and is exactly the type of equipment most of us have available in our personal shops & what we would use in prototyping or 1 off work. I asked Duane to please give us an update as many of us are interested, please leave me out of any of your other distractions to this thread.

Regards
M4220

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m4220:
SR4759,
You can better my career? Have we ever met, or engaged in conversation before this post? I think your avatar say's alot about you. I am not here for a pissing contest with sidewalk experts, I just asked Duane for an update on HIS project because I KNOW what a chore it is to do the work he is doing on a conventional machine and is exactly the type of equipment most of us have available in our personal shops & what we would use in prototyping or 1 off work. I asked Duane to please give us an update as many of us are interested, please leave me out of any of your other distractions to this thread.

Regards
M4220

Thank you m4220,
We have been putting up with him for quite a while. I'm about ready to put him on ignore as he just occupies space.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The barrel would be a 2" round, tuliped to octagon, tapered over a finish length of 26". It would have a full length rib on what would be the top rib, just like a lot of the Pre-WWII Mauser Guild rifles.

It can't be that complicated to just ask Dan at McGowan; or are you guys:

a. enjoying looking ignorant of the simple facts.

b. or plain old stupid.

With the CNC machinery of the past several years, and a plethora of competent programmers, doing something like this is not beyond the capabilities of a good Machine Tool Technology two year associates degree.

Stop drinking the koolaid...

Where is this barrel now? It certainly should be available for viewing after almost a year, especially since this can be done by a simpleton with a 2 year machine tool technology degree & some whiz bang CNC machines that can do the machining in a couple hours & hold tolerances in the 1/1,000,000s by people who know what they are doing? We are all anxiously waiting. Oh, did it also meet the $500 budget?
popcorn

m4220

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
According to ISS's last post on the matter, McGowan took his money and has delivered nothing.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune to pick up this uncompleted project for about $100 the other day:

It's unchambered, and threaded 1" x14, but enough shank there to cut it off and rethread for a mauser. It's in 7mm. Will be a great start for a classic light european sporting rifle.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ssdave, who did the work?

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McG had a small problem. They made the barrel with a quarter-rib. I am waiting patiently for the proper one to show up on the UPS truck.

I had hoped to have it fit to my Steve Earle Wesson #1 LR action, and chambered, and headspaced by now. With the delay I went ahead and had stocks pantagraphed for the OM 70 450/375 RUM and the VZ-24 404 Jefferys and send them off to be stocked.

Any day now...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane put me on the list

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
McG had a small problem. They made the barrel with a quarter-rib. I am waiting patiently for the proper one to show up on the UPS truck.

I had hoped to have it fit to my Steve Earle Wesson #1 LR action, and chambered, and headspaced by now. With the delay I went ahead and had stocks pantagraphed for the OM 70 450/375 RUM and the VZ-24 404 Jefferys and send them off to be stocked.

Any day now...

Funny.....they missed the May delivery by 6 months+

That would never fly in my line of steel cutting....

7 decimal places.....lmao

We bust our ass to hold 4 and make money

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does not sound they are working from a set of approved drawings.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
ssdave, who did the work?

Lothar Walther did the barrel. Cost was $500+ to the original purchaser. He sold me his project at a huge loss, so I'm into it right.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Duane, thats a sweet set up...hope to see more!!!