It all starts with a concept

Then a block of material

Some machine work

Some more machine work

Make a special cutter for the spring retainer

Hollow out the inside

Cut out the outside

Check the spring retainer

Now on to refining the shape and finishing up the prototype for testing on customers rifle

I'll be finishing this up soon and getting it off to the customer for testing. Once that is complete It comes back to me for final shaping, finishing and polish.
This one is made of Aluminum but to make one from steel is no big issue just change the cutters and feed rates used and bob's your uncle.
Hope you guys like it

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
very good and functional

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice! How much depth was added? May work for the 500 as well.

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
This one only has .250" but could go as deep as .437" I left it with a large chunk on the bottom to be material safe. The customer will check functionality and let me know if it needs to go deeper. If not he's going to send it back to me I'll cut off the excess and polish it up.
It's nothing to set this up again and pocket it out a little deeper. My concern was running out of spring strength to get the last round held up high enough to get picked up by the bolt

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once the prototype is finished I will fit it to my rifle, check depth for all dummy rounds I have available to me, and post pictures here.

Anyone have 3 .375 or .416 Ruger dummy rounds they could part with for a little while? I will pay postage both ways and return them when I am finished. Empty cases would probably even work.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
AR dummies should go outnthis evening..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,

Thank you very much!

Still need Ruger ones, anyone out there have some?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kcscott Any idea of the cost for a plate? Just a ruff idea is great! Thanks Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing around $250 for aluminum, $275 For 4140 and $450 for stainless.

If these can be placed in a five or more piece order I'd be able to discount the price a bit. But keep in mind I'm still working out the bugs and the Viper has yet to install this on his rifle to prove it out. He's waiting on me to get the part to him. Once any final adjustment are made I'd be able to better understand what is required and what the final cost would be.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
All I heard was crickets...... Pricey?? You bet but I don't have a production shop nor to I really want to make a living making these things on a regular basis. I'm not going to license these out to a manufacture. I don't want to get involved with carrying an inventory. I do still plan to forward all the drawings and Efiles to Weibe and if he should decide to produce these things he is more then welcome to do so. But Like I said If i can get the process down the price may follow but not by much not on my machines. Duane is far better equipped then I to do a production run.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Looking good!
Post a link in medium and big bores and I'm sure your project will attract more buyers. Maybe two more 06 based carts?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I heard was crickets...... Pricey??
KC,

The prices might have driven the “look y loos” away but I don’t believe they’re out of line for the amount of work involved. Custom action parts are like hens teeth for the M77 Ruger so a coffin floorplate in CM or SS should be a good selling item once the word gets out…Especially if it works properly with shortened 338 Lapua or 416 Case cases.

Once you perfect the M77 Ruger coffin floorplate you might consider making a shortened one for the M77 SA rifle; it would open another potential market for you.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
We'll be in the garage tomorrow finishing this one up. Getting the process down. I'll post the final product pics before install. Viper of course will post pics of it installed.
Thanks for the feed back everyone

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
KC,
the price is a bit higher than what wisner was charging for his floorplates, and williams for their replacemnt m70 bottom metals.. but, and this is the but, they have volume to ovr overhead

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Is that a manual knee mill?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yes Ted with a 2D CNC kit, Like a prototrak. It's a Acurite MilPower CNC kit. Gets the job done. Would be nice to have a VMC or just a CNC mill like an old Bridgeport with a Boss 9 control. Anything that works and has Ball screws would be better then this thing but it's all I got right now. So I make due.

Once I buy a house I'll be getting bigger machines. Right now I can't upgrade cause I can't afford to move it if the land lord sells his place or kicks me out. So I need tools that can be moved sort of easily. I'm going to get a house in the next two years and with that a true CNC mill preferably a VF2 Haas then a Mori seki engine lathe and maybe a Haas tool room lathe CNC/manual style. That would allow me to build just about anything i need to make.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I was just asking....I have starred at a DRO for God knows how many days/years of my life...like it was talking to me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Been there too long my self. this is my first experience with a Retro fit CNC conversion. It's no machining center but it sure saves time cutting angles, large radii, Pockets, Bolt circles. It's really a time saver for all the jobs that take too long on a manual machine (calculations and set up) but are to time consuming to program on a traditional CNC (to simple for the machine)
It really needs ball screws though, the back lash is the limiting factor and it's just not rigid enough to be a production machine. You know never designed that way. It'll make me money for now till I can get a real machine

Old pic of the shop
Still just as cluttered not enough room to change your mind and the Manual mill now has a 2D CNC retrofit on it.

Some where behind the cherry picker is a lathe

CNC control

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in replying was in Canada fishing. The price is high but not out of line for a custom part for any thing Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Update
The Full solid model is complete (computer file) Posted a new Jpeg of the file at the top
And the prototype is ready to ship. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Price is high but like i said somewhere if these can be grouped together I can work on the price. MAking one is a long process making five would not add to much time to the overall process. I have a decent fixture now to make life easier. I don't think I can get as inexpensive as Duane is on his coffin plates but I can get closer.
Final approval and confirmation of function is still needed from Viperidae. He'll have it in his hands by the end of next week

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
How much for one that holds a mother-in-law?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Free.. but you have to kill her first. The last one i did like that put up a hell of a fight Big Grin Big Grin

Her's the pics I promised

Last piece is the retainer pin I'm making that right now and will ship this out to Dan tomorrow

Keep in mind he need to prove the fit and function. He will then return the plate for any alterations needed then I fly cut the bottom down to an acceptable thickness make adjustments to my drawing and start taking orders.
Dan wanted this one in Aluminum but the next ones will be 4140 or 303/316 stainless, haven't decided yet on the stainless alloy

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many here know how to use that radius dresser. I know 2 that can.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You saw that??
I didn't pay full price for it though. Gotta stay on top of deals and be ready to jump on it when you can

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
All I heard was crickets...... Pricey?? You bet but I don't have a production shop nor to I really want to make a living making these things on a regular basis. I'm not going to license these out to a manufacture. I don't want to get involved with carrying an inventory. I do still plan to forward all the drawings and Efiles to Weibe and if he should decide to produce these things he is more then welcome to do so. But Like I said If i can get the process down the price may follow but not by much not on my machines. Duane is far better equipped then I to do a production run.

Kerry,

Is this your version of a drop box?
Could one be had in QD Mattte Tactical Camo? Smile, not serious, rather commenting on the ad spinnging you will have to do selling to the masses. Good luck.

Keep up the good work,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

Kerry,

Is this your version of a drop box?
Could one be had in QD Mattte Tactical Camo? Smile, not serious, rather commenting on the ad spinnging you will have to do selling to the masses. Good luck.

Keep up the good work,

Stephen

That would be a injection molded part as I don't feel Tactical parts require all that much in terms of fit and finish stir

There are too many Rem 700 kits out there for that

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures of the finished prototype for the .470AR. Kcstott did a great job, this allows for 3+1 .470AR. It will hold 3 down .500AR but is too shallow for 3+1. It is my understanding that kcstott will deepen the plate for those building .500ARs to allow 3+1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below are some links to previous threads about this project.

Ruger 77 pocket plate

Ruger MKII pocket plate progress...

Ruger Rifles

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty darn good... !

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell from the pics but i was able to put a 2" radius on the bottom of the plate. Matching as close as I can get to the original shape.

I will be making a small production run of these over the summer. I don't want to commit to a date nor will I be accepting preorders or deposits.

I don't work that way unless I know for sure when I can deliver. And since I can't guarantee a date I'm not going to try.
When they are done and ready to ship a notice will be posted here to look in the classified section

For those that will be getting a plate you need to thank Dan big time. Not only did he cover the bill for R&D on this thing he took the time to give me feed back and suggestions on what should be done to make this more appealing to everyone.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some better / higher resolution pics of the finished prototype before I installed it. (I need to get a better camera) You should be able to see the radius kcstott is talking about. The plate looks really nice and fits far better then the original. Fitting the latch pin with a Dremel and cutting wheel took less then 5 minutes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Is that stainless steel?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Nop it was Aluminum.
But I'll be building some in stainless if the demand is there it will add about 50% to the cost though.
I plan on building a set out of 4140 first.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread again. Wow looks Great will have to keep a better track on this as I may have to have one. Clint

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool.
Aluminum that stout should do well and keep the weight down on the spritely Hawkeye African and Alaskan.
Sufficient to add an extra cartridge to the magazine.
Can we order them now?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
No pre-orders. And I don't plan on making any more in aluminum

www.KLStottlemyer.com