Notify
Tools

Sasha's Gone
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:

There. Did acting like a totally disrespectful a-hole make you feel good about yourself?

How do you figure?

I brought this thread back up to the top so other folks could also feel depressed about the loss of his dog. Didn't I?

I asked for more info about the pooch other than his admission that she had died. Didn't I?

But I get slammed for asking WHY this tale of woe is somehow related to the hunting of big game. For, you see, I thought there must have been a connection. You know, like man hunts grizzly bears...man gets caught off guard, loses rifle...Sasha bites bear in the balls and bear goes off whimpering. Man is still alive all because of his faithful DOG.

That would have put things in context and been more relevant than, the damn dog died and we don't know what caused it.

Kinda makes me wonder exactly what DOGS Man's Best Friend - No Doubt About It - Especially Hunting In The Fields forum is really for?

quote:
It was dormant for 10 days, and you felt the need to bring it back to the top for that?

Did I not wait the proper grieving period to do so? Was the wailing and gnashing of teeth still ongoing? If so, my apologies.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
That's too bad, Tony. Growing up in the country, my family lost more then our fair share of dogs to anything from cars to jackass neighbors shooting them. It's tough to lose the ones you don't get a chance to say goodbye too. Hang in there, it only gets better.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
But I get slammed for asking WHY this tale of woe is somehow related to the hunting of big game. For, you see, I thought there must have been a connection. You know, like man hunts grizzly bears...man gets caught off guard, loses rifle...Sasha bites bear in the balls and bear goes off whimpering. Man is still alive all because of his faithful DOG.

That would have put things in context and been more relevant than, the damn dog died and we don't know what caused it.

Kinda makes me wonder exactly what DOGS Man's Best Friend - No Doubt About It - Especially Hunting In The Fields forum is really for?

And this bothers you, why? Is it somehow interfering with your enjoyment of this forum?

If I felt like it should be moved, I would have moved it. End of story. Sorry if you disagree. Smiler

You'll note there have been lots of off-topic threads on this forum that I have also not moved. Apologies if this has offended you. Wink

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not offended Chris. Just curious. Curious why the OP, if the proper forum for such an announcement being the DOGS Man's Best Friend - No Doubt About It - Especially Hunting In The Fields didn't provide the expected exposure, why not go all the way to the African Big Game forum.

Doesn't that one get the most looks?

Then again, why not post it to every forum? That way everybody on AR is sure to know of poor Sasha's demise.

And that was the OP's initial purpose, was it not? So that as many as possible would join in his unendurable agony.

Every post brings this topic up to the top for more folks to view. That's a good thing, isn't it. Remembering Sasha. A dead dog. A sad situation.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not offended Chris. Just curious. Curious why the OP, if the proper forum for such an announcement being the DOGS Man's Best Friend -

Most folks that put stuff in the wrong forum, usually put it where they feel that most of the people that they want to see it are most likely to actually see it.

Under the circumstances, I completely understand.

I assume this is where most of OW's friends hang out, and not so much trying to maximize the number of views.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:

Most folks that put stuff in the wrong forum, usually put it where they feel that most of the people that they want to see it are most likely to actually see it.

Now I would have thought a PM to those folks would have sufficed. But that's just me.

Perhaps I'm not thinking this through, so correct me if I'm wrong. By letting a post like this one in the wrong forum, isn't that defeating my (or anyone else's) proper use of the search/find function?

Say a few months down the road I'm in need of a good cry and I do a search in the DOGS forum for 'Sasha' knowing that such a tale would give me that emotion. It would come up blank cause this thread is in the wrong place. Ya follow?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
There's a knife forum too...any reason why you have not raised the same concern on the "My New Knife" thread? Wink

There isn't much traffic in this forum. 7 days worth of threads display on the first page. I am not worried about the clutter of a couple of off-topic threads. I am also not concerned about the 'searchability' of those couple threads if the OP isn't. Smiler

I have given a heckuva lot of latitude on off-topic threads the last while, since the traffic is down and most of the off-topic threads have remained relatively civil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a knife forum too...any reason why you have not raised the same concern on the "My New Knife" thread?

Only one reason. At the time I logged onto AR and clicked, find--active topics , that knife thread obviously wasn't active. So I didn't see it. But this thread was. My interest got piqued upon reading the title, Sasha's Gone and I wondered what part of the American Big Game Hunting universe it could pertain to.

My immediate thought was that Sasha was a gun and perhaps it went lost or got stolen. My neighbor named his Remington 870 shotgun, Betsy. I thought maybe Tony did the same. Because that situation would have fallen under American Big Game Hunting, don't you know?

It turns out that Tony's title led me on a wild goose chase, a waste of time. I've continued posting to this today to do the same until the Florida stock car race begins. It's about to start so I'll be going now.

If every mod ignored mis-posted threads there wouldn't be a need for all the topic categories, now would there? In the future I won't give a damn where I start threads either. Not that I start many. You can check on that stat.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2,

Can I give you a little advice?

Stop talking about this thread.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
onefunzr2,

friar

Why?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
If every mod ignored mis-posted threads there wouldn't be a need for all the topic categories, now would there? In the future I won't give a damn where I start threads either. Not that I start many. You can check on that stat.

You will find off-topic threads in pretty much every forum. This site is not moderated with an iron fist, and latitude is usually given until folks get carried away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a knife forum too...any reason why you have not raised the same concern on the "My New Knife" thread? Wink

You mean this thread from 4 years ago?

A member posts a pic and description of his knife in the KNIFE forum. I don't see what's out of order? Help me out Chris. Point me in the right direction; show me the error of my ways.

I don't see what's so far-fetched by what CBNHNTR posted or where he posted it. Clue me in.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You mean this thread from 4 years ago?

A member posts a pic and description of his knife in the KNIFE forum. I don't see what's out of order? Help me out Chris. Point me in the right direction; show me the error of my ways.

I don't see what's so far-fetched by what CBNHNTR posted or where he posted it. Clue me in.

I was refering to this one..
http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/3681038941

Posted in American Big Game Hunting, 11 days ago, and about 10 posts below this one right now.

Sp, help me out Dave, why the bee under your bonnet about off topic posts?

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by friarmeier:
onefunzr2,

friar

Why?

So you can get a life and go do something that matters instead of continuing to make an ass of yourself.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was refering to this one..
http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/3681038941

Posted in American Big Game Hunting, 11 days ago, and about 10 posts below this one right now.

Sp, help me out Dave, why the bee under your bonnet about off topic posts?

Posts? Plural? No no, no bees, no bonnets, no multiple posts. Just one...Sasha's Gone.

I saw a need and decided I'd try to do my wee part to help. Every post brings this thread up to the top of page one so more and more AR folks can join in Tony's sorrow. You, and the Slug act like that is a bad thing. Why?

If more exposure was not the intent of posting to this forum, why the outcry? Otherwise it would have been buried in the DOGS forum, and really, who looks there? bewildered I'm single handedly bringing this thread to the forefront so those folks who missed the post on February 2nd have the chance now. Why is that bad? Why am I being crucified for doing a good deed?

Is Sasha's memory to be forgotten so soon?

Although comparing this off topic thread with THIS out-and-out lie, there isn't any.

I just don't know why these folks seem to go out of their way to lead everyone asunder. I guess some folks are real big attention whores.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear this. My dogs are like my children to me. I know I will be a mess when one passes.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did acting like a totally disrespectful a-hole make you feel good about yourself?

Has it occurred to you that Tony spends most of his time here and thought the message might reach more "friends" here?

Both very astute observations.

quote:
I assume this is where most of OW's friends hang out, and not so much trying to maximize the number of views.

Another dead-on observation.

Once again, thanks to everyone who commented both here and in the many PMs to me with the compassion and intelligence to realize that Sasha was an integral and loved member of our family and not just a "damn dog" that died.

And for those who now have canine family members, appreciate and cherish them while they are alive; as we found out, they can suddenly be gone.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Sasha was an integral and loved member of our family and not just a "damn dog" that died.

Will she get stuffed for an honored place over the mantle?

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Sasha was an integral and loved member of our family and not just a "damn dog" that died.

I'll say it. You're a pathetic ass-hole. Didn't you get hugged enough as a child?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'll say it. You're a pathetic ass-hole. Didn't you get hugged enough as a child?

If I recall, you already said it once before. Are you a stutterer?

Why would I give a damn about what a SLUG thinks?

BTT, but without poor departed Sasha's photo in the OP's first post. How 'bout this one?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It is very clear that your issue is not with the fact that this thread is off-topic, and is in fact with Outdoor Writer. I think your efforts to kick him while he is down are in very poor taste.

It is also very clear that many of your remarks to me and others above were disingenuous and/or facetious.

I request that you take your issue off-line.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It is very clear that your issue is not with the fact that this thread is off-topic, and is in fact with Outdoor Writer. I think your efforts to kick him while he is down are in very poor taste.

It is also very clear that many of your remarks to me and others above were disingenuous and/or facetious.

Very polite Chris; I am especially impressed you managed not to call onefunzr2 an arsehole..

Outdoor Writer,

My condolences on the loss of your dog..

Mine is 15 years old and showing his age terribly; I know the clock is ticking and I am dreading the day aweful coming..

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Classy, Dave.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Dogs, as well as horses and rifles, have been associated with hunting as far back as I can remember.

Some of us might not have any time for dogs, but others do.

Many of you know we have quite a few animals in our house, including one dog, Dogmatix. She is a smooth fox terrier, and she spends more time in our shooting room than any single individual. We consider her as part of the family. And when she dies I am sure many tears will fall from our eyes.

So may I ask those who seem not to have much time for dogs to at least spare the feelings of those who do?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67079 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, and I as a dog hunter have the feelings for those who have lost a good friend and partner. To those that don't have a dog for a hunting partner, and companion I suggest you try it before you speak.It is a wonderful experience.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Once again I will state that, contrary to your perception Chris, my only intent is to bring this worthy topic up to the top so as many AR folks can share Tony's empathy as possible. Was that NOT his reasoning for posting his dog's demise in this forum? If not I sincerely apologize.

What exactly IS the DOG forum for?

Lest you think that my asking if the dearly departed Sasha would be stuffed is out of line, I suggest you view this Thread that even posts a pic of one owner's 'man's best friend' immortalized forevermore. Although lots of replies recommended not to. But that's what AR is all about, is it not, discussion?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again I will state that, contrary to your perception Chris, my only intent is to bring this worthy topic up to the top so as many AR folks can share Tony's empathy as possible. Was that NOT his reasoning for posting his dog's demise in this forum? If not I sincerely apologize.

What exactly IS the DOG forum for?

Lest you think that my asking if the dearly departed Sasha would be stuffed is out of line, I suggest you view this Thread that even posts a pic of one owner's 'man's best friend' immortalized forevermore. Although lots of replies recommended not to. But that's what AR is all about, is it not, discussion?

You can continue to "state" all you want about your intentions, but everyone here can see that you are pissing on Outdoor Writer, this thread, and me, and telling us its raining.

Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i try not to ever get involved in childish things, but chris i must compliment you on be a gentlemen. if it was me i'd probably cal the %#%!^&!^@#%^!*&^@#*&!#*^@# a nasty name and put him on an ignore list. but hold it - i already did that

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If I recall, you already said it once before. Are you a stutterer?

Why would I give a damn about what a SLUG thinks?

BTT, but without poor departed Sasha's photo in the OP's first post. How 'bout this one?

One wonders what drives a man to poke fun at another during a period of distress.

Dave, I suggest you leave this thread.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry. I have lost alot of dogs over the years but they all are hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, new to this forum, this kind of stuff is the last thing I thought I would see from fellow hunters......

Posts: 36 | Location: New York | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt P.:
Wow, new to this forum, this kind of stuff is the last thing I thought I would see from fellow hunters......

Matt, welcome to the forum! I would implore you not to judge this community by the poor and classless behavior of one.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys have to realize that some people were screwed up during extremely important developmental phases of life.

You're seeing the direct result of that here.

I've never understood what could occur during the formative years that would make a human being despise and hate a specific animal so intensly as to take pleasure in torturing and abusing them or to callously treat other humans who care for them with disregard to their feelings.

Just so happens that these characteristics are shared by some of the most infamous serial killers in history.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will bow to the will of AR management and refrain from posting on this topic again. After all I am a guest here.

But permit me to ask one last question of moderator Chris; you seem to have the ability to read my mind rather than my words. In that vein, do you also have the ability to prognosticate the winner of this year's Stanley Cup? wave

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
you seem to have the ability to read my mind rather than my words

Your words have been plain (or, at best, thinly veiled) throughout this thread. You feign surprise, befuddlement, and offense that so many posters would take issue with what you have written. Yet it takes no great insight to see what your first intentions have always been - to denegrate Outdoor Writer - or that you have been consistent in your first intentions.

What is surprising is that you take us for fools.

Say what you will, but there has never been any doubt in my mind as to what you wanted to convey - you wrote as much in your own hand - just as it is equally clear that you also sought to deceive, obfuscate, and confuse the thread with distortions and outright lies.

And what have you accomplished? That no one at A.R. will again respect or admire you.

But on second thought, you probably don't care about that either.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to beat up the original poster, but please remember that it was only a dog, not a child. Dogs are not human. No when you crazy dog people start about liking your dog more than most people, that's your problem, I like you better than my dog. I don't see a big difference from the "My dog is my baby" types and the PETArds. I like dogs, but I get tired of hearing the eulogies for dead animals.

The original post was a "look at me" post by someone who gets paid by having people read his stuff. Onefunzr2 isn't the only one annoyed by it. He's just a bit more obnoxious about it.

I wisely ignored this thread for a while, but when I saw it still going, I knew someone had the balls to call it.

To the OP, sorry you're so bummed about your dog.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
No need to beat up the original poster, but please remember that it was only a dog, not a child. Dogs are not human. No when you crazy dog people start about liking your dog more than most people, that's your problem, I like you better than my dog. I don't see a big difference from the "My dog is my baby" types and the PETArds. I like dogs, but I get tired of hearing the eulogies for dead animals.

The original post was a "look at me" post by someone who gets paid by having people read his stuff. Onefunzr2 isn't the only one annoyed by it. He's just a bit more obnoxious about it.

I wisely ignored this thread for a while, but when I saw it still going, I knew someone had the balls to call it.

To the OP, sorry you're so bummed about your dog.

Lots of hunters have very disimilar views on the subject. I am one that treats my dogs like family, and not "just a dog", but I don't consider myself even remotely "PETA like". I have friends that consider their dogs not much more than a tool. I don't have an issue with it, because we respect each others pov.

I appreciate that you expressed your opinion with some respect for the view of the OP. Kicking people when they are down is uncalled for and classless.

I will move this thread to the Dog Forum, where I agree it properly should be, once its dropped off of the front page.