New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sick Lab
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey everyone, just a little take on my Lab bitch that just lightened my bank account for huge medical expenses. I left town for a few days and she went off her feed, wife thought it was behavioral at first. When I got back she ate for me but was vomiting a few hours later.
Took her to the vet, and she was moments away from bloody diarreha, and very stinky to boot. Blood work was suspect, x-rays were ok. We ruled out food as a problem as my other Lab was fine. The vet said it was probably a bacteria issue, something she may have eaten. He couldn't pin a specific cause down, but said they saw maybe one dog a month there with the same issues. She is now on anti-biotics and a bland food diet and doing fine, but I have never seen anything like this, and I've had more than a few dogs in my life. Anyone had a similar experience?

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor, Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading

"The dynamite bomb must be answered with the Winchester Rifle"
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 53 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
When mine did that she had a blocked/infected anal gland. Vet did the squeeze job on her and 10 days of antibiotics, cost me $46.

Similar, but maybe not the same.....

~Ann

Posts: 19167 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky for you.. Mine had a bacterial infection, hemmoragic gastroenteritis.Blood in vomit and diarreha. 3 days of I/V fluids, 10 days of Oral antibiotics, prescription diet. $1800 later, she is spunky as ever. I'll appreciate the time with her this hunting season!!

Bill

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor, Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
My lab/shepherd 12 week old pup was in the hospital with similiar stuff. 4 days of IV fluids and Lots of meds were "just" $439.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BPCBill:
Lucky for you.. Mine had a bacterial infection, hemmoragic gastroenteritis.Blood in vomit and diarreha. 3 days of I/V fluids, 10 days of Oral antibiotics, prescription diet. $1800 later, she is spunky as ever. I'll appreciate the time with her this hunting season!!

Bill

Mine went through a similar bout with hemmoragic gastroenteritis about 4 years ago....was not good. Didn't have as long on the IV and nnly cost me about $500 though.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what the issue here as far as cost goes is there is a "Veterinary Emergency Hospital" here in Salem, OR. If your pet gets ill in the evenings, weekends, or holidays, you have no choice but to take them there. The vets with their own "Family Practice" won't see your pet. Once the weekend is over, then you have to take your pet to your regular vet, as the emergency clinic closes at 8:00 am on Monday. Scam or smart marketing, call it what you will. I miss my country vets in Montana.

NRA Endowment Member

Theodore Roosevelt

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. I think my after-hours call out only cost me about an extra $60. Small town vets are great. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote