New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Dog --
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New, about six weeks ago. Ginger is a 3 yr old (near as we know) "Red Heeler" or Australian Cattle Dog. Sometimes called "Queensland." The breed was developed from kelpies and dingos about 1856 in Australia, for cattle herding.

Ginger has some German Shepherd mix in her. She's smart, strong, agile, affectionate, loyal, protective. Adopted from a shelter, she's had problems with placement -- she's energetic and needs full-time attention from someone willing to train her and work with her. Previous adoptions had her locked in the garage while the owner worked. She also didn't integrate well with an "established pack" of "house dogs."

I'm a disabled veteran, and so she works as a "Service Dog." ADA specifies in the USA that any dog who assists a disabled person is legally viewed as a "Service Dog." The only qualifications are that the dog be under control, well behaved, not aggressive. Ginger does all that, and more. She's excellent around children, cats, other dogs, strangers.

What's nice about this status is that she can accmompany me everywhere (We don't do restaurants.) and not have to stay in the vehicle.

Off the leash, without the "service cape," and out on the beach with the ball chucker, she becomes "The Rocket Dog."

WOOF . . .

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When someone posts a photo about their new dog it's socially appropriate, "good manners," and indeed expected that you say something complimentary.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Nice solid looking dog. Besides the natural companionship and protection she provides, does she have any other training commonly associated with "service dogs"---is she able to help with any physical disabilities?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Zedo,

Healers are wonderful dogs. I have a Blue Heeler that was left by an old man on his ranch. I have never had a GS, but I know they are smart as can be.

You got a good dog there thumb

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
congrats zedo
she looks good.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I joke about this -- a woman asked me.

"She introduces me to every woman I'm interested in meeting."

She blushed when she realized it was true.

I don't have physical disabilites; it's all psychological. ADA provides for "companionship" as a "service" for the animal.

What's amusing is that I invariably wear dark glasses outdoors. With Ginger along, people think I'm blind -- until I get in the car and drive away. Big Grin

As "companions" dogs serve to lower blood pressure, relieve stress/anxiety, provide exercise, and social integration. All these are viewed by the medical community as important benefits to having a companion animal.

Ginger is a well behaved companion. She soothes others we meet -- veterans at the VA Hospital always stop to pet her. Off the leash she turns into "Rocket Dog" -- huge energy, and she's comical. That's good medicine.

Makes a huge difference in my day to day outlook.