New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Couple of Questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1. What are your feelings about using a .243 Winchester firing a (6mm) 105 grain VLD for shooting big game (deer and antelope) at long range (up to 800 yards)?

At 750 yards the bullet has 755 ft-lbs of energy and the OGW formula shows the Optimal Game Weight is 120 pounds.

2. What are your feelings about a 6.5 Creedmoor firing a 129 grain SST for shooting 6X6 bull elk at 600 yards?

At 600 yards the bullet has 1295 ft-lbs of energy and the OGW shows an animal weighing 204 pounds.

3. Do you think that antlerless big game such as doe antelope, doe deer, and cow elk should be regarded as "good long range practice targets", and antlered big game should not be attempted at long range until one has had enough "practice" on antlerless big game?

These are things a well-known long range big game hunting video producer/rifle package maker finds no problem with.

I'll fill you in with more as replies come in

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously ?
1. Only a slack jawed jackass is going to shoot big game at long range(up to 800 yds), much less w/ a 243 Win.
2. Shooting elk at 600 yds. This is simply a marketing gimmick to sell bullets, scopes or rifles to couch riders who do not have the mental capacity to do anything other than breath air.
3. Absolutely not.
THIS is the shit that happens when goreons watch too much shit television.
Watch Jimbob back off another 100-200 so he can make a long range perfect shot. You too can do this IF you buy this rifle w/ this scope and these bullets. NOW, you're a long range expert marksman/killer/hunter also---Dipshit ! PT Barnum strikes again.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. thumbdown

2. thumbdown

3. thumbdown

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that aliveincc is the slack jawed jackass in this situation.

1) The 105 VLD is a very fragile bullet, so it will probably do better at 800 than at 100 in terms of reaching the vitals, if you hit any bone. As long as you put the bullet where it needs to go, it should be fine.

2) I wouldn't do that. SST isn't as tough as I'd like. I'd also like more speed and a heavier bullet.

3) Definitely not.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, you probably put the time and effort into learning to and shooting long range. MAYBE---you can hit a deer or antelope at 800 yds----w/ your 338 LI, but the average slack jawed jackass who goes out and buys a whiz bang, much less 243 Win cannot and should not even attempt to. It'll be the same dipshit who stumbles upon hair, blood or bone from the animal and does not even attempt to follow up. Oh well, just go wound another one.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me the answer is no to all three questions. As for question number 3 I view doe the same as buck. They are not practice targets they are animals and deserve the same as I would give a trophy. If I would shoot a doe I would take the same shot on a buck.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No

No

And definitely no!

Posts: 43 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: 03 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH I think yall been "PUNKED"!

thats the funniest shit Ive read! animal

RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RUNAS:
AH I think yall been "PUNKED"!

thats the funniest shit Ive read! animal

RUNAS

Howso? Confused

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
1, Not Adequate for the distance to the Game.

2. Also not Adequate.

3. Pitiful and Pathetic.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I had a discussion with him about this. Went like this:

quote:
RC:
First, I don't have a problem with long range hunting.

I do have issues with what went on in this video.

Issue number one is with the shooter's attitude that a big game animal is a "practice target" and that the shot was "good practice". Varmints, paper, and steel are "good practice", not big game animals on which millions of dollars are spent managing.

Issue number two is the choice of cartridge. A .243 firing a 105 grain bullet is not the best choice for a long range big game cartridge. Great for prarie dogs and coyotes at that range of course.

I'd like to hear the reasoning in both cases.

quote:
JB:
I am a little perplexed by the comments concerning the 243 Win 105 VLD combo.

In the video it is very apparent that I screwed up the first shot and hit the doe right in the middle of the body. Very much a gut shot.

She is on the ground in less than 20yds. How much more should I have expected out of a cartridge?

When I talk of using the does as practice it certainly not because I personally value them less but instead because of the reduced pressure associated with a doe hunt.

In other word we can always walk away from a shot (not take it) and find another opportunity pretty quickly. As you can see from the video the buck in the group would have been a more difficult target due to the fact he was constantly on the move.

Until you are able to make it work out at long range on a less stressful doe type hunt you most likely should not be shooting at trophy bucks at long range.

quote:
RC:
As to the cartridge choice, don't be perplexed that you are hearing some questioning about it. From a common sense, experience and physics base, it is not adequate IMO for big game at 740 yards. Things go wrong as you were man enough to show. I know that antelope are not the toughest big game animal to kill and don't want to get into energy, momentum, OGW formula, or TKO values. I would simply refer to the guideline I quoted to start the post. If I were purposely going out to kill an antelope or other big game animal at the ranges you or any other long range shooter does, I would choose a cartridge capable of firing a heavier bullet that would create more damage from any kind of hit. Vital or marginal. "Marginal" happens at long range as there is more margin for error. At least choose a cartridge/bullet combo that isn't "marginal" at that range to begin with.

I have seen this problem in your one of your other videos. A 6.5 Creedmoor/129 grain SST used to kill a 6x6 bull elk at 600 yards. A 6.5 Creedmoor is not the best choice for an elk cartridge at any range much less 600 yards. Can it be done? Yes, and you proved it could. Is it the right thing to "put out there" for the inexperienced to glom onto and try to duplicate? IMO, no. Everything has to go perfectly right or it gets ugly real fast.

He never would address the issue of shooting Elk at 600 with the Creedmoor.

Here's the link to the 24 hr thread

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the hunter can hit a doe in the head with a .243 at 740yrds, he's beyond the need of my input. Let him do his superman thing, and I'll do what works for me.

Also, I agree about the doe vrs trophy buck thing. There is a lot less pressure on a doe hunt, they are everywhere (around here anyway) and letting one go for a different one is no big deal. With a trophy buck, people tend to push their limits or even blow right past them hoping to get lucky. There is no substitute for shooting at game in hunting conditions. Call it what you want, but it's true.

I saw a post on that forum about JB shooting a steel target for a group with a .264 win mag at 1780yds, that is over 1 mile in distance. I don't feel the need to tell him anything about shooting, or what he should or shouldn't do.

I can't shoot like that, so I don't. I'm not even tempted.

On the bullet energy information, have you ever looked up what is the optimal game weight for a 500grn 45-70 load at 500yrd or 600yrds is? It's quite a bit less than what a buffalo weighs, but it sure worked on them.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having the skill to hit something at long range is one thing. All that the bullet has to do is ding the steel or pierce a paper target.

When you venture into humanely killing an animal at long range, you have the responsibility to choose the cartridge that will not only result in an accurate placement of the hit, but also kills the most efficiently from reasonable choices you have.

I would think this is especially true if you are making videos for the public to see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I took from him choosing to post that video is, that it ain't always easy, and operator error can bite you. Same with a 30yrd archery shot, or a running shot, or any shot on game at all.

I once shot a running doe in the guts at 50yrds, she ran out to 110-120yrds and stopped facing dead away. I put the next shot between the ears and she dropped. That doesn't mean that I'm better at 100+yrds than I am at 50yrds, that means that there was operator error and that I rushed the first shot.

Stuff happens, even at close ranges. All we can choose to do is practice our skills the best we can or quit.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The operator error was made well before he attempted the shot.

The operator error was the pea shooter he chose to use.

IMO, you also have a short circuit if you think doe antelope, doe deer, and cow elk are "good practice"