THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Preperation for a hunt in Tadjikistan - need advice
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preperation for a hunt in Tadjikistan - need advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Anders,

Good on you for booking that hunt. I am looking really hard in doing the same in 2012, economy permitting.

I was in your same situation on a dall sheep hunt. I opted to trade up to a Z-5 BT, for just the same reasons. It's an expensive hunt, and I want all the variables on my side.

That scope is a dream. First, it has very fine reticle lines, It makes it easy to aim small at 500 meters. The old swarovski had chunkier crosshairs, which covered the entire bull eye at that distance. The thin crosshairs are a great advantage.

The ballistic turret works as advertised too. Swarovski has a computer you log into to figure the settings. You put in the caliber, speed, BC, and altitude! You can then enter your first datum point at any distance you like, 100 meters or 400. Then it will tell you how many clicks past that for your next distance, etc. So you can set your rifle to zero at 250, 350, 400, and 500 if you wish.

It paid off when my ram skylined at 446 yards. Just set the turret halfway between 400 and 500, and let one fly. Game over.

You want to keep the 30-06, no problem. I chose to take my 300 rum, only because it is point blank out to 250. It is set up out to 600, which should be enough for the marco.

You may want to look into trading or selling your S/B, the new scope may be not that much more.

And +1 on practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Stig, I'm located in Telemark, but thanks a lot Smiler

Jack, the reticle on my S&B is quite thick, and that's my main concern regarding this scope. I will try a target knob that's avail and see how it works. I still have a lot of time practising and working out things. But I'm like you. I really want all variables on my side. Smiler

Reading and adjusting for wind is another of my concerns. But normally, as I understand, the weather is quite stable with little wind. With my luck though it will be a gusting and changing wind througout the hunt Big Grin

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stigonom:
Forget MOA and inches and all the other stuff. Get a scope which have 1cm at 100 meters, then one click is 2 cm at 200, 3 cm at 300 5.3 cm at 530, 3,4 cm at 340 and so on. Very easy to know how much to move your reticle at any given distance. STIGSmiler

No kidding.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Anders you lucky stiff! That sounds like proper hunting big fella. tu2 You'll find the climbing easier than the rest of us too I should expect.

From our hunting together I can assure that your shooting is more than up to scratch, you just need to build some confidence at range.

Antelope Sniper's suggestion is so good I wish I had found this thread earlier. Set up a 8" circular target 200 yards and ghost a 2-3" ring in the middle so that you can see it close up but not from the firing point. Practice shooting off your jacket rolled up on a bag, not with a bipod for reasons I will go into later.

I say 2-3" because i think you'll be ok with a 1 1/2 minutes of an angle for those beasties to 400 yards.

Don't let the barrel get too hot and mislead you, do it like you were hunting so fire one or maximum two shots at a time, let the barrel cool completely, wander about, etc.

Once you are happy that you can more often as not keep your shots in 2-3" at 200 yards move to 300.

The wind will have much more of an effect at this range and so in my view one perfects trigger control, sight picture and breathing at 100-200 yards, adds wind reading at 300-400 and beyond there it's mostly wind reading no matter how good your technique.

You need an idea of your bullet drop and windage whatever load you're using, I know Ger was using the factory 180gr TBBC, were you using the same or can you load up your own?

Practice off the jacket because that it almost invariably how you will be shooting and bear in mind you could be shooting up or down hill, tricky with a bipod in that sort of terrain.

Here's some information on shooting up and down hill, if you don't have anywhere to practice this, it could catch you out as no matter whether you are shooting up or down the bullet will still strike high due less time for gravity to act on it and make it fall. http://www.firearmssite.com/shoot_uphill.htmhttp://www.millettsights.com/d...phillAndDownhill.pdf

I would recommend a 165 grain Speer BTSP or Nosler Ballistic tip as you're not worried about meat damage and those are pretty much the slipperiest decent hunting bullets out there. IME the Speer is more frangible than the BT, strangely enough.

I would say keep your scope, it's bloody good and from what I hear there usually isn't enough time to dial in on these sort of things.

You have two options as I see it, zero for point blank range and hold over at long distances or zero at longer range and hold under for shorter distances.

Some guys say it's easier to hold 8 inches low at 100 yards than 18 inches high at 300, I don't know as I've always zeroed for PBR and held over. My longest shot so far was at a 400 yard black wildebeest, the load was an unaerodynamic lump of a 180 grain hornady interlock at a measly 2550 from my 06. The drop was about 24" inches from my particular zero and with a little knowledge of the beast in question I knew that meant hold just above his back, it light just peeking through as my crosswire is about 3/4" thick at 100 yards and therefore about 3" at 400 yards. Got him right in the ticker, I'm pleased to say.

The bottom line is that whatever equipment and load you have now you can make it work, it's a matter of familiarity and confidence mate.

Get to know how far the distance between the thick and thin bit's of your crosshairs are, shoot the load you are going to be hunting with at the distances you think you'll be hunting at in all conditions if possible and you'll know the limits of your equipment.

Besides, getting 50 yards closer won't be a problem for a stalker of your caliber buddy.

Plaster's spiel has an error. He says his "Quick Fix" method states that at a 45 degree one should take the distance and multiply by the distance by .7. He then goes on to say for a 500 yard you should hold 450 yards. Actually, the math would be 350 yards, but in reality a hold closer to 400 is right (I used .509 BC at 2650 zeroed at 200).

Thankfully, the one thing that neither of these stories quoted is the "hold for the horizontal distance to the target." That rule is simply incorrect, and will result in rather large errors at long range. How many writers have you seen regurgitate this? Boddington, Van Zwoll, the list goes on and on...

They are all fond of saying a "bullet is only affected by gravity over the horizontal distance to the target." Bullshit. It takes longer for a bullet to fly to a target at 700 yards at a 45 degree angle than it will to go 490 yards over flat ground.

Think about this: in order for the horizontal distance theory to be true, time of flight would have to be the same. That bullet still has to fly through 700 yards of air, and that will result in a longer TOF than a bullet traveling 490 yards. Now, will it strike high? Yes, but not as high the horizontal theory would predict.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post