New
Find
Notify
Tools

First LR Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I'm thinking somewhere in the 30 caliber range will do it. The 338s and up are pretty specialized rigs, and don't have much use as anything else. I don't intend to do matches, just play around at 700-1,000 yards, improving my wind and mirage-reading skills, and doing something different in the rifle arena.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy and have it shipped to me and I will glasly work loads up cor you, if you shoot CEB then it will be easy
Brent

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Brent, that's about exactly what I'm looking for. I'd love to find something similar where the load work is already done and it's ready to shoot. Wow, .1 MOA....doesn't get any better than that.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like CEB is pushing the envelope in all areas!

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah beibs, they are awesome in this weapon. I use 140's for anything under griz and moose

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just thinking back a couple years (well maybe more than that) i used a remmy 40x 28" heavy barrel in 300 winny for plinking long range dogs. (did manage one at 1200)but i used 150 gr ballistic tips behind a case full of 4831, with the heavy rifle and the lighter bullet i didn't get pounded nearly as bad as shooting matchkings, and the thing was about as good for accuracy as i could get at the time

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 40X is still a great rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your line of thinking Biebs. The big 338's would be quite a headache (literally) and not much fun, while being expensive to shoot! I am not familiar with the 300RUM, perhaps that is better than the 300WM, but, there is no such thing as a free lunch! I will follow your progress with interest. I have no access to distances beyond 850 yards.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, anything a rifle will show you, it'll probably do it within 850 yards :-)

Yes, this LR stuff is fascinating. It seems like the 6.5s are the rage now (260 Rem, Creedmore, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5x284 etc) with their .6+ BCs, accuracy, and low recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right regarding "no free lunch". The 300 RUM, 6.5x284 and other fast calibers shoot flatter, but at the expense of short barrel life and recoil. But with rangefinding making distances known, the flat trajectory is not as important as in hunting, as it is a known variable that can be calculated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to play at 1000 on in, low recoil and accurate, the Dasher, 6BR, 6.5 RSAUM (GAP 4S) and he good old straight 284 Win or 7RSAUM come to mind. All of them have low recoil and great performance in that arena.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GAP seems to make a number of 7mm WSM rifles as well....over 2,900 fps with a 180 Berger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are we inventing the wheel here? Should the F class shooters have the solution? Savage makes an F class gun which would be an excellent entry into the world of LD shooting. Comments?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, I think it's a matter of comfort level. A Savage F Class rifle is a bargain, for sure, IF IT SHOOTS. When you get a GAP, Surgeon, or a custom LR rifle from a builder, you'll generally get test targets or proven loads to verify its accuracy. Same logic as buying a Rem CDL for $750, or buying a Lex Webernick rifle built on a Rem 700 for $4,000.

When you think about it, a LR rifle is all about accuracy...if it doesn't shoot 1/2" MOA or under, it's not much use at 650 or 800 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't disagree with any of that!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Can't disagree with any of that!
Peter.

My Savage in .338 Lapua is just as accurate as my Siller/Lilja job, and cost a lot less.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post