New
Find
Notify
Tools

First LR Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks, I've shot rifles pretty much all my life, and have taken game out to about 435 yards when I had to. While at the DSC, I was between the Barrett and the Accuracy Intl guys, and it sparked my interest in getting a dedicated long range rig. Many, if not most, of their rifles are pretty much dedicated position rifles, as their size and weight would preclude their use for hunting. Where should I look for an ultra-accurate rifle of 10 lbs or under that i could use for long range shooting, and perhaps hunting from a fixed position? I know of Georgia Precision and Gunwerks, but there are more, I'm sure. I t doesn't even have to be a new rifle....a proven performer would be fine. Many of the rifles in this class are 308 or 338 Lapua, but something in the 7 Mag to 300 Win Mag would be what I'd look for.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
An outfit called Quarter Minute Magnums makes incredibly accurate rifles. I've used mine on varmints out to 1400 yards. This rifle is a 7 mag.
You might also check out longrangehunting.com. Great source of information and always several long range rifles available in the classifieds. They also sell their own line of custom rifles guaranteed to shoot .5 MOA.
Cooper also makes great rifles guaranteed to shoot .5 MOA. I've had 5 of them and they are shooters. Priced very well too, for this level of accuracy. Look at gunbroker.com

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, those Barrett MRAD rifles are nice, with the ability to change out carrels/calibers.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not make your own. you could take a blaser action glue on a driveshaft barrel etc. Big Grin
seriously talk to kobe and see what it would ocst to make up your own spec. there's nothing these guys are selling that can't be equaled or bettered by a good gunsmithfor less moneyh

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right, just like with ARs, many are just assemblers of bought components...gotta watch who you're dealing with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Blaser make a long range rifle (LRS)?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, yes, I have one, but I want to get out beyond 308 ranges. The newer Blaser Tac-2 is available in 338 Lapua, but that's a bit too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Don't they have one in 300WM?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next door to you-
Jim Borden builds awesome rifles from his designed/manufactured actions in Springville,PA.

It's not the arrow,it's the indian.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've had a couple hunter-weight Bordens over time. Karl Bernoski is another great builder I should check.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't they have one in 300WM?

Pete, yes, that is certainly an option, just add a barrel, Mag bolthead and magazine. Hmmmm.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Peter, yes, I have one, but I want to get out beyond 308 ranges. The newer Blaser Tac-2 is available in 338 Lapua, but that's a bit too much.

Hard to out grow a 338 Laupa.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
I shoot some longe range stuff. Out to 1300 yds on steel. Have shot lots of game in Acrica and all over really over 500 yds. Marco polo was right at 550. I have used 30 cals exclusively. First with a a lazzeroni warbird, burned barrel out in 400 shots!! I know have gone back to 300 win mag. Tried to get away from it due to the belt, but ended up going there anyway. Ammo can usually be found about anywhere around the globe. Current rig was built by Jamime Dobson out of Johnstown, PA, wolf precesion 814-262-3655. From prone on a bipod I can hold .1 MOA with my reloads. To do that the bullet has to be seated right against the lands, to the point you feel it in the bolt when rolling it over. So I back it off a touch in case it is hot weather or multiple shots and I get .2-.3 MOA. Took a prairie dog with it this past summer at 700 yds and a bunch in the 5-600 range. I put an ACIS 2.0 stock on it. Great adjustable cheek weld and adjustable LOP. Heavy though. I carry it in my eberlstock pack with a scabard.
Just my 2 cents

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent, that's about exactly what I'm looking for. I'd love to find something similar where the load work is already done and it's ready to shoot. Wow, .1 MOA....doesn't get any better than that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been dabbling in this awhile and ended up going with a Nesika single shot action, mag bf LA. 300 RUM, longer throat, 30" barrel and a McMillan HTG stock with the adjustable cheekpiece. Great feeling rig topped with a nightforce 5.5-22X50 and it'll rip 200gr Nosler Accubonds at 3250fps with Retumbo and shoots sub 1/2 MOA at that level. 600 yards is a pretty serious chip shot and it's a great performer out to 1200 or so. I feel much better at 800 and closer though. If you're looking into the 338 Lapua, I'd highly recommend a long throated match chamber and build it on a single shot action. You'll save a bit with the lack of expensive bottom metal and increase the performance with the longer throat. Those heavy 338 bullets are LOOONG! I have a really good 338 Lapua AI with a .240" freebore that does a great job in a single shot. A friend with a rifle built on that reamer is getting within 20fps of 3000 with the 300gr Bergers.

If you want to go even farther, faster, flatter, I've got a 338-408 CheyTac IMP (Big Baer basically) that will push the 300's to 3200fps. Punch that info into a balistic program and you'll smile a little bit thinking about it. Recoil is not bad, but 140gr of H50BMG throws a hell of a shockwave and gives me a bit of a headache after 15 rounds or so.

If I was looking into getting into ONE dedicated long range rifle, I'd have to define what long range is to me first. If it is 1000 on in the 300 winnie would probably do the trick in the right setup...I'd consider the RUM though. If it is 800 and beyond, maybe even 12-1400, the big 338's come into play if you want to shoot at anything other than paper IMO...haven't done anything over the 338 personally.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post