THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    2,751-yard shots with a .338 Edge +P
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2,751-yard shots with a .338 Edge +P
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since this is the Long Range Shooting Forum, I thought that some of us would be interested in viewing shooting out to 2,751 yards. The rifle is a .338 Edge +P, launching 300-grain Berger hybrid bullets. Enjoy Smiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCMfTZuWB8

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
When he leans against the shooting bench it seems to wobble quite a bit. It is hard to believe that that shooting is real.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT'S A LONG DAMN WAY!!!!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When he leans against the shooting bench it seems to wobble quite a bit. It is hard to believe that that shooting is real.

Yep. And you can trust Shawn Carlock just about as far as you can throw him!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's 571 yards further than I have ever shot with my .50 bmg. And I thought that was a long damn way then. Don't know anything about him, obviously you do?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know anything about him, obviously you do?

I know more than I want to.

Sent him an action and Krieger barrel to chamber and fit for his mighty 338 Edge. Along with a money order for payment in full. Took two months longer than quoted. When the rifle showed up it was packaged for shipment very shoddily. Rear tang of action was battered badly, dies box was crushed. Chips from chambering still in the bore.

NO RETURNED CALLS AFTER SHIPMENT.

Rifle still doesn't shoot with any of his super magic loads. Nor any of the dozens I have tried.

Every body has oopses, for sure, but no returned calls, ever? Terrible customer service and no follow up.

He is a "super Guru" on that long range forum. But I only know how he treated me.

BADLY!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

Not sure I would use that rest for 100-200yds

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is hard to believe that that shooting is real.

There does seem to be a lot of "editing" in that advertisement video. I'm also skeptical about the 3100fps claim. I still think it's an interesting watch though.

In raton they have a 338 match every month during the summer where they shoot steel out at long range. I wonder what those guys would have to say about it.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I also find this video highly questionable. Not only is he shooting off a wobbly bench but also a Harris bipod. Personally, I've never found a Harris bipod to be a super steady platform. I can shoot off my elbows better than with a bipod.

I also find it somewhat questionable that he went through all of the calculations of elevation, humidity, temperature and distance, yet he sort of 'swaged' the wind and correctly guessed 40 minutes of windage and had a 10 MOA hold-over and nailed it in one shot. Maybe he really is 'that' good, I don't know, but my gut tells me he fired about 40 rounds to get the three in the video.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't know, but my gut tells me he fired about 40 rounds to get the three in the video.

How else does one learn to shoot at any range practice.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is shooting at a mountain and his groups are a minute of mountain. Put another 30 or 40 or whatever moa of elevation on it and do it with a Ruger 30-06. So what?

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
3100 fps with a 300 berger from an 338 Edge cased cartridge.

80,000 psi pressure?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:

80,000 psi pressure?

The 338 Edge +P chamber has a patented throat that is supposed to allow more velocity without excess pressure.

Don't know personally since I have never tried one.

My 338 Lapua was built by Shawn Carlock and I am very pleased with the results.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
I also find this video highly questionable. Not only is he shooting off a wobbly bench but also a Harris bipod. Personally, I've never found a Harris bipod to be a super steady platform. I can shoot off my elbows better than with a bipod.

I also find it somewhat questionable that he went through all of the calculations of elevation, humidity, temperature and distance, yet he sort of 'swaged' the wind and correctly guessed 40 minutes of windage and had a 10 MOA hold-over and nailed it in one shot. Maybe he really is 'that' good, I don't know, but my gut tells me he fired about 40 rounds to get the three in the video.

NJET!
He calls 1½ minutes of wind and the camera guy calculates that to 40 inches.
If you're gonna bash, please fact check and get it right!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by POP:

80,000 psi pressure?

The 338 Edge +P chamber has a patented throat that is supposed to allow more velocity without excess pressure.

Don't know personally since I have never tried one.

My 338 Lapua was built by Shawn Carlock and I am very pleased with the results.

Isn't that called having a lot of freebore?

Just like Roy Weatherby did with all his cartridges. Usually that's not conducive to the best accuracy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post