THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    2,751-yard shots with a .338 Edge +P
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2,751-yard shots with a .338 Edge +P
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
3100 fps with a 300 berger from an 338 Edge cased cartridge.

80,000 psi pressure?

The 338 Edge +P chamber has a patented throat that is supposed to allow more velocity without excess pressure.

Don't know personally since I have never tried one.

My 338 Lapua was built by Shawn Carlock and I am very pleased with the results.

Isn't that called having a lot of freebore?

Just like Roy Weatherby did with all his cartridges. Usually that's not conducive to the best accuracy.

Apparently it is different and my understanding that it is patented

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Ohh well since in's patented that makes sense.... Roll Eyes

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I believe it has to do with the angle the throat to rifling engages at. I forget the correct term.

Accuracy can be the same but it's usually more sensitive to seating depth..as in they need to be seated out long to still be close to the rifling.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like many claims, this one would be easy to verify; just have the builder show up at a sanctioned LR match with the rifle and replicate it.

I really doubt that would happen!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 338 Lapua was built by Shawn Carlock and I am very pleased with the results.

Well that's one of us!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not one for internet pissing matches so I will respond to this only one time.

JTEX, since I am not even sure who you are maybe you could email me and we can straighten this out. It is not like me to ignore customer calls etc. I will say that the potential of a case like this happening is why we haven't for years now barreled actions only, I have no control over the rest of the process of the rifle build. We now only build complete customs and all are test fired before they leave the shop, that way I can without a doubt hold an accuracy standard. I am not sure how this issue would have effected my honesty in terms of video production??? Don't quite get that.

To the rest of the doubters, it is simple you can perceive what you want in the video, once you add your weight to the bench and quit moving around it is quite steady, I shoot almost all groups off of a bipod with great results. To the bring it to a real shooting match and put up or shut up comments that is easy, in 2008 I had a small party with some friends to celebrate my 200th shooting match win in various formats, long range, high power, pistol, IPSC/ USPSA, 3 gun, etc. I hold numerous state championship titles and have a national precision rifle title on the list.

About the shot itself, we shot the shot the prior day under slightly different conditions and did not fair as well. The next day for the video we shot 3 shots, first and second hit in good conditions the 3rd we could not see, could not confirm a hit or miss either way so we cut it. I have replicated that shot at almost every long range advanced class I teach, I could fill a fair sized room with the people that have seen me make that exact shot. So as I said I am not one for internet pissing matches so this will be my only comment on the matter.

Again JTEX feel free to get ahold of me at the shop 208-687-2659 to let me know who you are and what the problem is.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 24 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not one for internet pissing matches so I will respond to this only one time.

Me either. Nor do I intend to participate in one. But I know how my transaction went down and you do advertise on the internet, quite a bit. People need to see how you handle this one. I will be more than happy to give you the benefit of the doubt, so to speak. Maybe that there was just a "gap" in communications. The ball is in your court.

quote:
JTEX, since I am not even sure who you are maybe you could email me and we can straighten this out. It is not like me to ignore customer calls etc. I will say that the potential of a case like this happening is why we haven't for years now barreled actions only, I have no control over the rest of the process of the rifle build.

Glad to see you answering this. And yes this project was done about three years ago. The rifle is still sitting in my vault.

What would you like to do to straighten this out? Would you like the rifle back for evaluation? You could check the bedding and the barrel float? That was really about all that you had no control over. I have nothing to lose..... I already paid for truing an action, threading and chambering a match barrel, the machining and parts for an extended mag box and one of your muzzle breaks. I got every thing except accuracy and consistency.

Shawn it may very well be unlike you to handle your business this way but, man, that was my experience with you! Two months later than agreed to. Chips still in the bore. Shoddy packaging causing a crushed die box, damaged tang on the action and a crushed mag box. I do understand that shipping "gorillas" can and do handle packages badly. All of that is kinda moot though, I just wanted a rifle that shot well and functioned well. I didn't get that.

There was no, none, not any excuses for not returning calls or e-mails after the fact.

quote:
I am not sure how this issue would have effected my honesty in terms of video production??? Don't quite get that.

Shawn, that's an easy one there. If you are percieved as dishonest in one aspect, every aspect is tainted.

You may be a great guy, hugely honest, great customer service, that was sadly not my experience.

My name is Jim Cochran.

posted Hide Post
Got a phone #?

posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter the records the feds require you to keep do not include the phone numbers or I would have used it. I don't believe matters like this should be taken care of by typing, text, internet, forums, email, etc. I believe in correcting issues in person on the phone at the very least.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well........

Looks like I may be getting to eat crow! Actually, I hope so.

I just got off the phone with Shawn and he wants me to send the rifle back to him for evaluation.

He did apologize for any inconveniences and troubles I had getting in touch with him after the build.

I am optimistic, we'll see. I really would like this to turn out well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well Shawn,

that is certainly a different approach to business; not bothering to keep customers personal information in your records.
Your statement that "I don't believe MATTERS like this should be taken care of by typing, text, internet, forums, email, etc." is pretty telling.

I wrote for several rifle/shooting magazines over a period of more than twelve years full time. Back in the "Dark Ages" of communication we did things with business cards, and a rolodex, and used various means of communicating RE progress reports. I had custom rifles built by about a dozen different riflesmiths across the country. A couple of those gentlemen have passed away since then. I still have their information here on file.

You run a business building multi-thousand dollar rifles, and you opt not to keep those customers' contact information?

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which one of you is paying to have the rifle returned to have the work done that was paid for...

I must be getting old, I still expect a builder to check function and test fire a rifle he builds for me.

This will be a real means of generating business here.

take care,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for all of you that don't think the 2751 yard shot with a 338 edge+p is possible it is.
myself and four other buddies made that same shot while taking Defensive Edges long range advanced hunting class.
we set up on that shot both times we went to his class
every time i tell people of that video i can say i made that shot also been there done that.
I would highly recommend Defensive Edges classes to anyone out there wanting to learn or brush up on their long range hunting skills

Mr.Idaho sharpshooter I've seen a few posts on this site from you. you should probably mind your own business when problems have nothing to do with you all you see to do is want to put your two cents on every thing when you shouldn't

I have nothing but good things to say about Shawn and Defensive edge. I have gone to the course twice ordered two guns through them its be a joy so Jtex and shawn i hope you work things out

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's all just back off a bit.........

Shawn came on the board and initiated contact.

The rifle was sent back to him just today.

I have had an Electrical Contracting business since 1994, I have had some collosal screw ups in that many years. Every body has screwups, what determines the kind of man you are and what kind of business you run is how you fix those screw ups.

We did have some communications issues that shoud not have happened. But he found out there was a problem via AR here and made contact.

I (the one that had the problem) am willing to give him the same chance others have given me.

I really hope that I get to retract what I have posted about my experience with him. His opinion is that I will. From our phone conversation I am very optimistic.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Let's all just back off a bit.........

Shawn came on the board and initiated contact.

The rifle was sent back to him just today.

I have had an Electrical Contracting business since 1994, I have had some collosal screw ups in that many years. Every body has screwups, what determines the kind of man you are and what kind of business you run is how you fix those screw ups.

We did have some communications issues that shoud not have happened. But he found out there was a problem via AR here and made contact.

I (the one that had the problem) am willing to give him the same chance others have given me.

I really hope that I get to retract what I have posted about my experience with him. His opinion is that I will. From our phone conversation I am very optimistic.

Jim

You seem to be a stand up guy, I am very pleased with the 338 Lapua that Shawn built for me on a Rem-700 action.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post