Find
Notify
Tools

Savage vs Mauser 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted
All my guns built around Mauser 98. Now I was offered to built light, easy to carry long shooting rifle on Savage action. I have no clue whats the difference and what this action is all about. How it is better then Remington which I never use for custom rifle. Any thoughts?
Russian

Never buy your gun from "Hendersot's sporting goods inc."

Posts: 70 | Location: London UK | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russian:

98 actions have slow lock times and are flimsy (not stiff). They aren't the easiest to bed.

Look to competitive shooters to see what they are using; I bet a 98 hasn't won a ribbon or cup in forty years.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Russian look at this website. You will find the information useful.

6mmbr.com

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Thanks big time. I can see all the necessary info

Posts: 70 | Location: London UK | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Russian:

98 actions have slow lock times and are flimsy (not stiff). They aren't the easiest to bed.

Look to competitive shooters to see what they are using; I bet a 98 hasn't won a ribbon or cup in forty years.

Where I can see this info?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been shooting competetion, Long Range, for quite a few years and can only remember one or two shooters using a Mauser 98 as their action.
Have asked same question as you long time ago and was told same reasons as mentioned above.
I am not referring to bench style shooting, but NRA prone,sling,style shooting at ranges from 600-1000yds. In reality the Savage actions were not seen until the past decade or so but from all I see and read now, they are working ok. Had one of the very first Savage factory match rifles and it shot fine, but effort to raise bolt after shot was excessive for a prone/sling shooter compared to the Rem. 700 or one of it's clones. Longer bolt handle would help to solve that problem. Extra effort to raise bolt handle in prone style shooting will cause you to "come out of position..." and break your focus or at least it did for me. I would stay with the Rem. 700 action(or clone) for it works for a large number of long range shooters and aftermarket options are endless due to it's popularity and peformance. Would mention that in August near Ottawa the Canadian Full Bore National Matches will be held(I'll be there)and you could observe what actions, equipment, etc. is being used by dedicated long range match shooters. Shooters are generally more than happy to share info and likes and dislikes about their equipment. Just a thought.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russian:

Guys, nobody mentioned Dakota rifles. What do you know about this action? Is it a simplified Mauser or what is that?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
expect smaller groups with less effort, and an easily changed headspace if you want near zero

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russian:
quote:
Russian:

Guys, nobody mentioned Dakota rifles. What do you know about this action? Is it a simplified Mauser or what is that?

its a slightly different model 70, which is based on the model 1903 -- don't give me the rubbish about patent infringement.. stripper clips aren't really used so much today in competitive shooting...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post