Find
Notify
Tools

Report: Leica 1600-B LRF
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Back from my weekend Utah spike elk hunt. Finally, great weather; sunny, conditions that allowed me to hike up to my favorite spot that's 11,100' elev. A ridge that elk travel over when pushed by hunters below. Sure enough, 4 minutes into shooting light here comes a 5-pt dink brush bull. He'd be in the freezer right now had it not been for the fact that it was a spike only area. As the morning progressed, I wanted to see how the Leica 1600-B would work at both colder temps and at that high altitude. Mixed results. Everything worked; temp, baro pressure, angle, ranging. What did not work was the ballistic computer. The baro pressure was 19.7 to 20.1 in the 8 hours I was on top. I checked the ballistic computer when I got back down to around 10,000' elev and it was working again. On the way down, I tried it just above 10,000' and it would not work. So, just FYI for future users. Take a back up, even double back system for LR shooting. I had printed dope and it matched up well with my EXBAL. I then tried my Shooter program on my DROID cell phone and it worked with the 19.7 baro pressure. Even goofed around, passing the time and input 17 baro pressure and it still worked.

Woke up this am and crancked up the Leica to see how it worked after it soaked in the cold all night. Worked fine. Temp said 16 deg F.

Also, when I tried to enter 19.7 baro pressure into my EXBAL it too would not accept anything less than 20.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:

For those who use the B&C or duplex type reticle and are shootng up/down angle. The B model will give you the TRUE ballistic range. Say a 400 yd shot but the angle is 40 deg up/down so the true range you hold for is 335 yds.

Alan

Dispelling one of my favorite myths, often repeated by gun writers who regurgitate what others have written: the bullet is only affected by the horizontal distance. Wrong, and good to see Leica does it right.

The true horizontal path of a 400 yard target at an angle of 40 degrees is 306 yards. But as I have often said, time of flight matters - that bullet still has to go through 400 yards of air!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
JG,

I've not noticed any ability to adjust the brightness.

I've ranged items out to 900 yds in pure dark. It's super bright light conditions that mess with any LRF i've associated with to include this one.

Alan

Unless Leica has changed things, they use a GaAs diode laser than emits light at 950 nm. That wavelength is present in sunlight, so it needs a stronger feedback from the reflected light in bright conditions.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post