Notify
Tools

Report: Leica 1600-B LRF
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
A little explanation first.

A number of years back I obtained the Swaro LRF. Love it! I gives very precise LR yardage. I then obtained the new Leica 1600 and performed a 3 month SxS test. Sold the Swaro. In late July I obtained the new Leica 1600-B and performed a SxS test. Sold the 1600.

Don't get me wrong, all three will range WAY out where many if not most have no business taking a shot. Where the 1600 and more so, 1600-B, shine is their ballistic data out put and "other" useable output data.

So far, I've gotten the B model to range to 1975+ yds on numerous occasions. Nuff said about that.

It ranges quickly and in many times less than optimum light.

To me where the B model shines, as does the 1600, is for a quickly evolving shot. One where you just don't have time to pull out the weather meter and your favorite ballistic program. A shot that needs dope data but you don't have time to compute the dope. For the 300 yd or so shot, none of us should really need dope unless the wind is a full value howling wind. I'd say, something between 300+ and 600; maybe even 800 yds. One where that last chance bull/buck is soon to leave the meadow and get in to the trees or go over the ridge. With either the 1600 or 1600-B you simply lase the target. It gives range and dope in either whole 1 moa, 1/3 moa, 1/4 moa, holdover, 10 or 5 cm increments. You then simply apply the correct amount of elevation to your elev turret or use the correct holdover with your duplex or B&C type reticle and shoot.

For those who use the B&C or duplex type reticle and are shootng up/down angle. The B model will give you the TRUE ballistic range. Say a 400 yd shot but the angle is 40 deg up/down so the true range you hold for is 335 yds.

Both models have internal angle meters, temp gages and baro meters. These automatically input into the 12 preset internal ballistic curves.

The 1600's curves go out to 575 yds. The B model; 875 yds and not a yard more. Trust me, I've tried.

On Saturday, I was doing some LR shooting. 849 yds. My Shooter program on my DROID smart phone and my EXBAL program both give me 20.8 moa or 83 1/4 moa clicks. The 1600-B gave me 84 clicks. Yes the out put is in clicks. Confusing for some to include me. My one complaint about the B model because if I'm under stress to make a quick shot my brain goes to mush. 84 divided by 4.........tick tock tick tock. DANG IT! The 1600 does it right and give the correct dope in MOA, not clicks.

If your shot exceeds either 550 or 875 respectively, you can still obtain the angle, temp and baro pressure to input into your favorite handheld ballistic calc. The angle is right on with my Shooter's angle. The temp is temper mental. Keep it out of the sun and away from your body if you want true ambient temps. The baro pressure is .3 above my Kestrel 2500. Close enough for me!

For those of you who don't need a device for over 550 yds, the straight 1600's are selling cheaper now that the B model is out. Otherwise either is about $800 at full retail.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan, thanks for the report, but I am still confused. How does the rangefinder know what I am sighted in at? ie. The rifle is sighted in at 300 yards and the target is ranged at 675 yards. The number of clicks or the MOA ie. the "come up" is surely dependent on where I am sighted in, isn't it? If the number is not a "come up", then what is it?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Peter,

You initially set up the LRF by setting the zero at either 100, 200 or 300 yds. Then, when you range the target it will give the range, 675 yds in your case and 1-2 second later the come-up in clicks.

When I set mine up for my current load of the 6.5mm 127 LRX @ 2820 fps I use US = Yds, then 200 yd zero, Curve #4 and 1/4 moa adjustment.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah! Thanks! Have you tested the "curves" , or your chosen curve prediction to see how accurate it is compared with your bullet/velocity/BC etc as predicted by other ballistic tables?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Yes, I've tested the curves both theoretical with Shooter and EXBAL and while shooting. What I have found is if your zero at one range does not get you close to what you need, try another zero range. Being a Sniper/competitor I always rely heavily on a 100 yd zero and found the curve I needed fit the bill for my 6.5x47 out to 600 yds, being no further than 3/4 moa off. But from 600-875 it got further apart until it was 2-3/4 moa out of sync. Once I tried a 200 yd zero, which isn't out of the norm for most, I was only 1, maybe 2 clicks off at 875. When putting it to the test while shooting I found it was always within 1-2 clicks away from what I needed. This is one of the reasons I LOVE this thing and want to sing it's praises.

Let me add that for shooting in the mountains at angles this thing is better than sliced bread. I computes the angles and gives you the proper dope. No having to subtract or run any other calculations. Simply point, range and dial the dope n shoot.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan, great response. Thanks. I might just keep my eyes open for a used one. I am reluctant to spring for a new one, as, my impression is that the technology is changing very rapidly.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am reluctant to spring for a new one, as, my impression is that the technology is changing very rapidly.

One will never be buying one then because there will always be a newer and better one coming out.

If one said that about computers we would still be waiting to buy the next best latest model.

I brought my frist LRF many years ago that one is long gone and have move up the scale.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly a valid point p dog, however I was referring to the integration of laser rangefinding and the appropriate scope adjustments. It is that integration that seems to me to be coming along.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I understand how fast technology out paces itself but the only way I was able to buy the 1600-B was to sell my 1600. It took me all of a few days to sell it. If Leica ever comes out with a 1600-C that allows the shooter to preprogram their own bullets ballistic data, I'll be the first to buy it. For now, I just flat excited to test this thing out in less than 2 weeks on our Utah spike elk.

I was out Friday, Saturday and Yesterday and at numerous ranges out to 717 yds, it was easy to hit both my 6" and 8" round steel plates using just the 1600-B. Any misses were due to the fact that Leica has not included any kind of a wind meter and accompaning ballistic program for wind Roll Eyes

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am excited to receive mine tomorrow and have it in the field this weekend. Hopefully the manual is easy enough to use to get me going.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Final acid test for both the Leica 1600-B and my rifle before this Saturday's Utah general/spike elk hunt.

Ran up the canyon behind my house to 7,200'. Set up my 8" round steel plate 818 yds down angle 10 deg and used my Snipepod bipod to shoot from prone. 3 mph wind from 10pm. Bullet is the Barnes 127 gr LRX running 2800 fps and about .5 moa groups, give or take .1 moa. The Leica 1600-B compensating for angle, temp and baro pressure said to come up 73 clicks or 18.25 moa on my NF 2.5-10x32mm. I did and hit the plate 2x.

I then checked the dope against my Shooter ballistic program and it said to use 18.3 moa or 73 clicks.

Both the rifle and the 1600-B are exactly matched. I'm ready to go elk hunting. Cool

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is great to know that the ballistic program on the 1600B works as good as the other programs. I received mine this afternoon and had it out ranging a few things and was able to get repeatable returns on the same target each and every time. Not something I could do with the Leupold model that I was considering.

The Lecia is a little spendy but seems like it's going to be well worth the money spent.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
That is great to know that the ballistic program on the 1600B works as good as the other programs. I received mine this afternoon and had it out ranging a few things and was able to get repeatable returns on the same target each and every time. Not something I could do with the Leupold model that I was considering.

The Lecia is a little spendy but seems like it's going to be well worth the money spent.

You get what you pay for. Glad it's working well for you.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good report GSSP. BTW, what is "less than optimum light'? I had a crf 1200 and it wasn't worth a hoot in pre dawn light, haze, etc. Also, can you adjust the brightness ons the red led readout? Thanks.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
JG,

I've not noticed any ability to adjust the brightness.

I've ranged items out to 900 yds in pure dark. It's super bright light conditions that mess with any LRF i've associated with to include this one.

Alan