THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Is it the "Shooting" or the "Hunting"?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it the "Shooting" or the "Hunting"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD: These "shows" have got the fellow convinced that since they are now using Cooper rifles and some state of the art scope that is the only way to go.

I own about a dozen Coopers. As a genuine Cooper "nut" it's hard for me to explain how disappointed I am with Cooper for being a partner to this. However, they are in business to sell rifles. I think a big part of my problem with this is the program itself (Best of the West IIRC) I have no problem with folks shooting either targets or animals at long range. However, I do have a problem with promoting that idea that just because one owns a sub moa rifle and a particular scope, and a ballistic chart that gives the dope on windage and elevation, one is capapble of making long range shots consistently without considerable practice. Just from my own experience at 100, 200 and 300 yds with the same rifle on the same day, there is considerable difference at shooting sub-moa groups at 300 yds vs. 100 yds. As ya'll undoubtably know elevation, humidity, mirage wind the load and even the placement of the stock on the rest can make a significant difference in point of impact at extended ranges.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the people just getting into it and trying to hunt "long range", I suspect very few cripple animals as most, even with high-end equipment, won't shoot well enough to hit the animal, let alone cripple it. The real "NOOBS" aren't going to invest the time or money and won't have a chance anyway.

Some of you have touched on something that had been bothering me for the last few years and has all but caused me to quit watching outdoor television all together.

It seems that every single show, and it doesn't matter if its hunting or fishing, is an infomercial. Now, as someone who worked in the sporting goods industry for a little over a decade, I can't quite put my finger on why this bothers me so much, but it does. I realize that they have to have sponsors and I understand more than most what it takes to be in the business, but its no longer about entertaining and educating the viewer. Its all about brainwashing the viewer to make them think the need something.

Glad it doesn't pay my bills anymore. Plus I get to spend more time outside and looking through cross hairs anyway, lol.

Posts: 149 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't really care for long shots at game (as opposed to groundhogs or coyotes...the further the better!). On the rare occasions that I have used a long-range-capable gun and caliber, and actually used the capability, my pride at making the shot was matched by something that I can only label as embarrassment. I think back at those shots now and remember how thrilling it was to make them, but I don't even like to talk about them with friends. The shots that are the most memorable are the ones taken with .45-70's or muzzleloaders after belly-crawling into whites-of-the-eyes range.

I love long-distance shooting at the range. When hunting, I have to think long and hard before I can talk myself into taking such a shot, even though it's one that I know I can make.

To each his own!

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post