THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Is it the "Shooting" or the "Hunting"?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it the "Shooting" or the "Hunting"?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you have found your game and decide to take the shot.

It is all shooting then.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this for a bit and I have to say that it's absurd for one person to define what another person seeks to fulfill the things they look for in their "sport".

I've killed things at ranges so close I had to wipe the blood spatter off of my face after the shot. Over the last decade or so I've tended to gravitate towards the exact opposite of the spectrum. In this case "the shot" becomes the hunt.

Quite frankly its no one's business but my own to do so. I know what I need to do to accomplish a successful outing and that success is defined by the participant, not what someone else thinks it should be.

Posts: 149 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marshmandan:
I've been thinking about this for a bit and I have to say that it's absurd for one person to define what another person seeks to fulfill the things they look for in their "sport".

I've killed things at ranges so close I had to wipe the blood spatter off of my face after the shot. Over the last decade or so I've tended to gravitate towards the exact opposite of the spectrum. In this case "the shot" becomes the hunt.

Quite frankly its no one's business but my own to do so. I know what I need to do to accomplish a successful outing and that success is defined by the participant, not what someone else thinks it should be.

Very well said indeed. Too many try to impose their limitations or beliefs on others.

If one wants to get close enough to "shake hands" with their quarry; fine. Some times closing the distance may not be possible; so one better be able to shoot if meat is needed.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spot on tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:

I couldn't agree more.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said!! Couldnt agree more.

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What difference does it really make? I have killed deer at 9ft with a bow and deer at 600 yards with a rifle. As long as I enjoy myself and have a good safe hunt that’s all I care. I don't look down on a guy for shooting his trophy at 800 yards or 8 yards. Shooting is not separate from hunting that makes no sense at all. You go hunting with the goal to shoot an animal pretty cut and dry to me.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said my friend.

I have been at the receiving end of some flack for shooting dangerous animals at long range. And sometimes I am not sure people actually read and understand what the story behind that.

As an example, hunting buffalo requires quite a bit of tracking and following. And one might get a shot afforded at relatively short distrance, and on others at relatively long distances.

I have had occasions where, due to being out of breath because of running, I would not take a shot at 100 yards simply because I know I cannot shoot accurately in the time I had.

On other occasions, I have taken several buffalo at close to 300 yards - one was actually measured later with a GPS at 330 yards.

The funny part is that I have never wounded, or missed, a buffalo shot at long range.

I have shot other animals at 500 yards plus. It is certainly not my choice. But left with no way of getting closer, and I am in a position where I can make an accurate shot, I will take it, regardless of the distance.

Sometimes this comes out of necessity, as teh following story shows.

We were on our first day of our safari. We wanted to shoot some impala for leopard bait. I had a Lazzeroni 7.21 Firehawk.

I kept missing easy shots, at 200 yards and less. We then found that the action screws were loose, and we did not have the right A llen key to tighten them.

I had my other rifle, which is a 375/404 with a 23inch barrel.

With 4 shot, I shot 4 impala, the furthest was 425 yards away.

In fact, after that year, I got back home and built myself another 364/404, this one with a 26 inch barrel.

Now I take 2 375/404 on my hunts. They both use the same load, which makes life that much easier.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66986 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Or both?

Plenty of posts like, "That's not 'hunting', that's 'shooting'"

I've also seen, "It's all 'shooting' after he's in your sights"

"Why didn't he try to get closer? That shot was just a 'stunt'!"

Some guys have no idea how to hunt. How to walk in the field. How to use terrain to get close. How to use the wind. Some guys are poor marksmen. Their skills with their weapon, whether it be a rifle, shotgun, or bow border on a Failing grade.

Obviously being an expert at both is optimal, but which one is MOST important TO YOU?

Both are equally important. I personally feel more sense of accomplishment at getting close than I do in shooting something a long ways off, but that's probably because I'm quite a bit better at shooting than I am at stalking/hunting. I can generally get myself within 200 yards of a deer, and when I'm hunting with a rifle, making a kill at that distance is a gimme. I don't hunt to make easy kills though, I like things to be a challenge, so I hunt with a muzzleloader much of the time, which forces me to get inside 100 yards.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I had rather shoot an animal at 30 yards that 300...
Heck I had rather shoot them at 30 feet, than 30 yards...

But there is nothing wrong with having the skill to make longer shots if that is the only oppertunity you get.

One year I was on a deer lease, and i has a very accurate 300 WBy Mag. I wanted to shoot a deer at 400 yards...

So, every time I saw a deer, I would stalk BACKWARDS TO TRY AND GET MY 400 YARD SHOT.
That was some of the hardest hunting I have ever done... shocker

I finally gave up, and shot all my deer with a Ruger No1 in 45/70 at less than 75 yards...
Most under 30 yards... Frowner

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
If shooting game at long ranges and the shooter haa done the work neccessary to be proficient at extended ranges, then by all means enjoy yourself.

I would prefer to take closer shots myself, but that is my thing.

My problem, and it is one that I cannot do anything about, are the folks that read about these long range kills, and instead of grasping the concept that they have to develope the skills neccessary to take/make such shots, all they do is read about the equipment being used and then they run out and biuy all those troys and go out believing they can duplicate what experts have done.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Lot of opinions here and that is fine. For those of us who have the skill, experience and equipment long range hunting is a lot of fun.

Agree 100% that if you think all there is to shooting long range is to print out a drop chart and go into the field you will be disappointed. It takes a lot of practice and not to mention ability.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post Crazyhorse,
This exactly what some of the TV shows are promoting. Take some semi famous person, plant them on a hill, have a pro dial everything in and have them squeeze off a round at who knows how far. Then tell you how great the equipment is and try to convince you to drop some big $$ so you can do the same. It's all marketing. Most of us here know better and would put in the practice to accomplish the feat if we want to take game at that distance.
As for the people who do spend the $$ and expect to be able to go out and duplicate what they saw on TV as soon as their rifle and scope arrive; you can't fix stupid.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikem0553:
Great post Crazyhorse,
This exactly what some of the TV shows are promoting. Take some semi famous person, plant them on a hill, have a pro dial everything in and have them squeeze off a round at who knows how far. Then tell you how great the equipment is and try to convince you to drop some big $$ so you can do the same. It's all marketing. Most of us here know better and would put in the practice to accomplish the feat if we want to take game at that distance.
As for the people who do spend the $$ and expect to be able to go out and duplicate what they saw on TV as soon as their rifle and scope arrive; you can't fix stupid.

I'm guessing that the TV shows have to edit out a fair number of missed shots and maybe even some gut shot animals too.

My own experience is that a fair number of the guys in the woods don't have much business shooting at game animals at 50 feet, much less 400 yards. I've seen guys who were dumbfounded when they couldn't hit anything with a rifle that came with a factory scope installed that was boresighted. It's pathetic.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About every two or three weeks I get a call or visit form local fellow that is really struck in watching the "shows" portraying shooting Elk, etc. at ranges of 6,7 or 800yds. He is impressed with the rifles they are promoting and is dead set on buying such a rifle. Keep in mind this fellow is a "working man" and is willing to spend 3-4000.00 on such a rifle with the thought in mind of going Elk hunting with the rifle. He currently owns a very pristine Browning Safari Grade in I believe 300WinMag and also an older excellent Sako in 7mmMag and I try to tactfully point out that either one of those rifles make for very fine Elk rifles or whatever. These "shows" have got the fellow convinced that since they are now using Cooper rifles and some state of the art scope that is the only way to go.
As pointed out in earlier postings, it is wrong in my opinion to tout such shooting unless they would also state very clearly that anyone attempting such long range hunting that they have a lot of time behind the gun or practice. I try to tell the fellow that there is nothing magic about the rifles/scopes they are using and that either one of his current rifles would do just fine. Surely to goodness you can get cloer than 800yds to the game I tell him. His answer is that look how much walking/stalking that saves on a person. I don't think there is any saving him.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post