New
Find
Notify
Tools

IS 450 MARLIN DEAD?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read a few postings that the 450Marlin was being dropped by many firearms manufacturers. I haven't seen readily available brass in 18months. Hornady says it's making 450 brass but for now its all going toward their loaded rounds.

What say you?

And please this is not a the 45-70 can do anything the 450M can.... popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same...and I hope not. I think that the 450 is a great cartridge!!!!

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read a few postings that the 450Marlin was being dropped by many firearms manufacturers. I haven't seen readily available brass in 18months. Hornady says it's making 450 brass but for now its all going toward their loaded rounds.

What say you?

One of our brethren in Germany was concerned about the same thing recently.

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Rechamber to 45-300RCM
Just run the reamer in to clean up the chamber and firedorm or neck up brass.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Rechamber to 45-300RCM
Just run the reamer in to clean up the chamber and firedorm or neck up brass.

Don't want to.... pissers Me likey the 450Marlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 450 marlin, its an ass-kicker deluxe! Stock up just in case. I just added another Marlin 1895MXLR for my sons, when they grow up Smiler

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its deader than a mackeral.It really sucks they made the belt on it longer so you could not just use a regular belted case shortened.I just wrote about not buying the caliber of the month.The 307 win and 356 wwin are in this list of dead calibers .I see the 308 marlin and 338 marlin not too long to join.Its no fun having a gun you can shoot.They cant give away Ruger 480 pistols because there is no brass or ammo either another dead mackeral!!!!Stick to the favotites the 30-30,308,45-70 ,243 ,30-06and you will be safe.I think the 444 marlin is next on the list to go the way of the dodo bird.Make sure the cartridge you choose can be made from one you can easily made brass if its discontinued .

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess you could use win mag brass and add a washer to the chamber.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope the 444 Marlin isnt next. It offers a lot of potential for modification, and can be a real power house. There are others listed here that should not go by the wayside either...the 308 and the 338's are excellent performers, and the old classic's have their place in lever gun world as well. If Remington starts discontinuing cartridges that have a decent following they may find their new gun customers out searching for used weapons and sell nothing new....if anything, they should be adding new models and new cartridges...

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:

What say you?

And please this is not a the 45-70 can do anything the 450M can.... popcorn

Don't have to say it---

res ipsa loquitur

The 450 is dead,
the 45-70 lives on and on and----

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894S in 44 Mag. Same ammo as two of my revolvers. Locally it's nick-named "The Redneck Assault Rifle."

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The .450 Marlins sell well in my neck of the woods. The .450 is simply the .45-70 hot-loaded for guys who don't handload. It's fairly popular here as a rifle for elk in timber or in the brush of the Oregon Coast Range. Plenty of Hornady ammo available.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
with the purchase of marlin by cerberus, my guess is we will lose the 308me, 338me, 35 remington and possibly the 444.
only top sellers will stay.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
....so, that kinda leaves us back where we started......with the 30-30 and the 45-70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have several choices......

Get a 45-70 and enjoy it.
Send your 450 Marlin to Wild West Guns and have it converted to something. (Alaskan big bore)
Send it to Doug Turnbull and have it converted.
OR Start looking for brass and ammo anywhere you can for stocking up. (and expect lots of cold winters in the future)
OH by the way, don't keep Hornady Leverolution
ammo more than 2 years. The plastic tips can get real hard and you may punch a primer in the magazine. Safety First.

Good Shooting

Tetonka

DRSS
Big Bore Bolt Trash
Band of Lever 45-70ers

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just call Hornady...

they are starting a run of 6000 pieces of Marlin 450 brass which is bound for resellers.

It should be completed in Early April.

Sooo... put some on order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I guess you could use win mag brass and add a washer to the chamber.

Shave 30thou off the back of the barrel and allow it to head-space off regular magnum brass.

Modern incarnation of the 458American ... and your 450Marlin dies still work.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to hold my brass til it's officially makeral -- then sell it for gigantic profit -- shocker or enough to have it turned into a 50 Alaskan -- and then hope that brass doesn't go down the shitter as well. wave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it's not, it should be. Nothing wrong with 45-70 for the past 138 years.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be back...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, do not heat up the Tar, and start plucking the chickens....

BUT the 450 Marlin never needed to exist...

It was simply a marketing "ploy" to stimulate sales.

As are most of the "new" cartridges, that offer NOTHING that exhisting cartridges offer...

The short Magnums come immediately to mind.

No do not get me wrong, baised on its ballistics, it is a good killer, but it cannot do ANYTHING that the 45/70 cannot do, with the same 350gr type loads, and there are a dozen or so different loads available for the 45/70...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, the .450 is a marketing ploy to sell rifles, nothing wrong with that, but it does nothing I have not been doing since 1973 with the 45-70 when Marlin came out with the new 1895, which I still have; the ones with 8 deep grooves. Soon to be followed by 12 groove barrels.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's says my .450 marlin brass will arrive in a few weeks Smiler

Posts: 1096 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
Its deader than a mackeral.It really sucks they made the belt on it longer so you could not just use a regular belted case shortened.I just wrote about not buying the caliber of the month.The 307 win and 356 wwin are in this list of dead calibers .I see the 308 marlin and 338 marlin not too long to join.Its no fun having a gun you can shoot.They cant give away Ruger 480 pistols because there is no brass or ammo either another dead mackeral!!!!Stick to the favotites the 30-30,308,45-70 ,243 ,30-06and you will be safe.I think the 444 marlin is next on the list to go the way of the dodo bird.Make sure the cartridge you choose can be made from one you can easily made brass if its discontinued .

the 444Marlin has been hanging on since the 70's and it's demise has been predicted constantly since.

remington might kill it as a chambering in new marlin rifles, but I kinda doubt it as Remington has long been the only significant source for ammo or brass and they'll need to keep producing it to keep all the exsisting rifles made in the last 25years fed and happy it really costs them nothing to keep producing Marlin rifles in that chambering.

Frankly I think they are as likely to kill the 45-70...

the 450Marlin answered the need for a 45/70+P for people who didn't handload, that is what the 450marlin is and was,as stated by both Marlin and Hornady, because efforts to get a certification by SAAMI for a 45/70+P failed

Even though somewhere in my collection I have a box of Federal 45/70 ammo that is marked 45/70+P
(made in the early 80's

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke w/ Browning not long ago regarding their BLR which is chambered in the 450Marlin and inquired if they had considered the 45/70Gov't caliber in that rifle and said the rimmed case created some design problems?? As for sales of that rifle in 450Marlin, response was that they were not "brisk." I would venture a guess that if the BLR was available in 45/70Gov't the sales would be "brisk."

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume that's because the 45-70 rim is rather large.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
You know a small bush that could even be Loctie
into the belt recess would work , could be made drop in fit or recut for standard belt ?

Like 308 chambers in 30/06 M1 Garand's

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hm,
Just spotted a .450 but not very cheap.

What's the biggest you've taken with one?

What would be your suggested bullet for hunting big African game like buffalo and giraffe?
How about a general good load/bullet for Nort American game up to and includin bear and moose?

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The 450 Marlin was dead on arrival. It never caught enough attention to be considered alive.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
OR a 450 Yukon(WSM)and get a REAL THUMPER.

LUCK

Picture of 1895gunner
posted Hide Post
I called Marlin last week and asked them why they still show the 1895M 450 on their website but it isn't in their hard copy 2011 catalog that they just mailed me. They indicated that they built the last one back in September 2010 in New Haven but since they still show stock at some of their distributors they will carry it on website. When they are gone they are gone and it will be removed from website. the rep indicated that they will continue to manufacture ammo in both FTX and Interlock.

BTW, I just picked up a ported 1895M in February. I also have the 444P and 1895G.

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 30 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Was just Visiting Jackson Armory Dallas,Texas.

Several boxes of 450 Marlin Hornady Ammo--

IF anyone needs it.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
That's a whole lot of work, Sarg. A simple 1 or 2 thread setback and rechamber to 458 American or the even simpler rechamber to 450 Yukon and forget the belt/rim...at least for the "V" threaded Marlin.

I think, tho', the 45-70 and "thutty-thutty" has such a nostalgic following no one else can get in the door and leverguns never had all that much a following anyway...too expensive to make compared to a bolt gun. Sad to say.

LUCK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Was just Visiting Jackson Armory Dallas,Texas.

Several boxes of 450 Marlin Hornady Ammo--

IF anyone needs it.

Hornady has been making loaded ammunition, but very little reloading brass.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If I had a 450 and was to rechamber-- I'd go whole hog and step up to the 450 Alaskan or 50 Alaskan.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sory to hear about the 450 Marlin.
Same thing happened on the 480 Ruger.
With the bean counters in charge, and the gov a mint tax polices, you can look forward to more of this in the future.
Buy all the brass u can, while u can. If you don't load to the red line shouldn't the brass last a long time?
If youre keeping the gun what other choice do you really have.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of 1895gunner
posted Hide Post
I bought mine on Gun Broker in February knowing they were done making more rifles. I wanted one and it didn't matter to me. I'll reload my own ammo after I buy a few hundred rounds and shoot them.

Love the 1895M ported model...

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 30 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don55:
Sory to hear about the 450 Marlin.
Same thing happened on the 480 Ruger.
With the bean counters in charge, and the gov a mint tax polices, you can look forward to more of this in the future.
Buy all the brass u can, while u can. If you don't load to the red line shouldn't the brass last a long time?
If youre keeping the gun what other choice do you really have.

Brass lasts a very long time...I have a set of 40 pieces that I load 43-44gr IMR4198 with 300 and 325gr bullets and I'm at 12 loadings so far. I also anneal after 5 or so loadings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I would ream the chamber larger, even if it was just slightly larger. The problem seems to be that when you make the barrel just a bit larger to accomodate the cartridge and then make the mag tube a bit larger for the cartridge(which Marlin did with the 1895 to accommodate the 45-70 round) you are then making the walls of the receiver thinner and the webb between the barrel and the mag tube thinner[and weaker]you can not change these facts .In Marlin's eyes you are simply taking away to much safety factor for thier comfort[technically AND legally]
In my eyes they are probably right and they need to design a magnum sized action to accomodate any caliber bigger than what they have now. In many opinions the 1895 Marlin is no ways as strong as the 1886 Winchester especially the new ones being made.