THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    What is the best Lever Action rifle ever?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best Lever Action rifle ever?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
This should be enlightening popcorn

Question:
What is the best Lever Action rifle ever?

Choices:
Marlin 1895
Winchester 1895
Winchester 1886
Savage 99
Browning BLR
Winchester 88
Vote in post below

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Why is the 94 not in your poll? What constitutes the “best ever”? Number of units made, power of cartridge choices, price, game kills?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Why is the 94 not in your poll? What constitutes the “best ever”? Number of units made, power of cartridge choices, price, game kills?

Best ever is subjective...

OK one vote for 94.

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
If you pull the 86 out of the equation the 94 has probably killed more critters then all the above.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
With over 7 million sold and every big game animal in north america shot with one--- its gotta be a Winchester 94 (even though I personally like the 95, 71 and 86 better).

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 94, it's not even a contest.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Voted for the 86, but I'd have a tough time voting for the number 2, either the 92 or 94.

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
it has to be the 94.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my considered opinion, it is the one you don't have yet.....

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have at least one of everything mentioned except for the Browning and Win. 88. They are all good. The '86 is too heavy( 45-70, 26" octaton barrel, take down)but shoots good. If you can include the Marlin 336 as a 1895, same action, I have 7 variations there.

I would like a good 88 Win. I do not know much about them, so I am guessing probably a pre 64, when they had cut checkering on the stocks. It seems as though I saw a couple of later models that had pressed checkering that I did not like.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I've never had one, I'm inclined to say Sako Finnwolf.
Essentially a bolt-action made lever action.
Accurate, light weight, very light mechanism, can be scoped, detachable magazine, can shoot spitzer bullets.

The downsides are it's ugly and never was chambered for any long rounds.
But - to have one today in .338 Fed....

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the '86 Browning for it is about as smooth and dependable of any I have owned and for off hand shooting, find it a natural. However, the Win/Browning Mod.71 was not mentioned and older gun buffs stated that it was the ultimate lever gun. If it were available in 45-70 Gov't then I would consider it the ultimate hunting lever gun, bar none. I just happen to like the 45-70, but the 348 caliber is certainly no slouch. If I ever finish other projects, may go on the look for the Browning 71 and see about doing it in 45-70.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Although I don’t own a 94, I give credit were credit is due, it’s the king of lever actions. I do own a 94/22 but that’s not a real 94.

I own an 88, and an 86. The 86 is my favorite lever action.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of "hands on" experience with this 99. 99s are not a favorite of mine either.

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Chalk another vote up for the legendary '94.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
71, no question.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It must be the 94. Everyone has carried one and killed something with one that I know here in Mo., Including myself. As far As Missouri goes the 94 (in 30-30) has probibly killed more deer than any other rifle and round. I've killed a few with one myself even though I carry a 30-06 and / or a blackhawk in .41mag now.

"Back off man..I'm a scientist"

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inetersting to note that still no votes for the Win m/88!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 all the way. Action that can handle 50,000 plus psi of pressure. Rotary magazine for spire pointed bullets. Easy scope or aperture sight mounting. Light weight. Handles like a dream.

I can't believe that I'm the only one who voted for it. Remember, this is for the best, not the most popular.

Buncha brainwashed Winchester fans, obviously. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13639 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buncha brainwashed Winchester fans, obviously.

LOL mrlexma! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1895 is my favorite, in take down, of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One for the 99 here. Really like that rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 88 Winchesters are cool. That recoil lug behind everything certainly helps maintain the minute of beach ball accuracy.

Got a 94 that I really like. It ain't on this poll.

Still for being ahead of its time, the Savage 99 has my vote. Besides a good smith can slick up the action and trigger. I have a 99M 308 that I had to a place in Morriston MN she will shoot into 1 minute all day with Speer 150s and a load of WW748.

Had a BLR from the first year they were made in Japan. Maybe 1981 or so. Another good gun, except the trigger pretty much sucks and not much can be done to help it.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
That recoil lug behind everything certainly helps maintain the minute of beach ball accuracy.

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough...

1886-M71 (same gun) would have to be my vote.

As a hunter with a heavy hand and a strong arm, it's the best, but the Marlin 1895 is by far lighter, smoother and faster...have you seen the new SBL? http://www.marlinfirearms.com/.../bigbore/1895SBL.asp

The finest rifle I have ever held was a Marlin fully worked over by M.L. McPhearson...he does wonders for that rifle...and it shot 1MOA!

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
youp50 I have seen re-worked BLR triggers and they are very nice. Not a Marlin worked over, but very good indeed. I know of two guys that will do it.

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That gun looks sweet!

All business.

All it needs is a 2 moa red dot with a 3x magnification lens and thin out the fore end a bit and add a groove for the fingers to grip it.

quote:
Originally posted by Extremist458:
Tough...

1886-M71 (same gun) would have to be my vote.

As a hunter with a heavy hand and a strong arm, it's the best, but the Marlin 1895 is by far lighter, smoother and faster...have you seen the new SBL? http://www.marlinfirearms.com/.../bigbore/1895SBL.asp

The finest rifle I have ever held was a Marlin fully worked over by M.L. McPhearson...he does wonders for that rifle...and it shot 1MOA!

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Model 88 Winchesters are cool. That recoil lug behind everything certainly helps maintain the minute of beach ball accuracy.

The 88 shown about, I restocked 35 years ago, was the biggest pain in the butt because of that lug (recoil block). It shoots minute of softball, sometimes soccer ball. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be different, I vote for the Marlin 39A.
This timeless 22 rimfire lever action may have taken as many animals (Small game) as the venerable "94". Maybe more!
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 1892, light and beautiful. Not in this poll, why? It has to be the best for power to weight in handy to carry deer rifle.

If you include price and availability then my personal favorite is the Marlin 94 in 44 mag. It is a tad heavier than the 92 and not quite as smooth. But very practical. I have a "Special" with a 16 in barrel for worst weather deer hunting (I mean the worst). An 18 or 20 inch barrel would be a better gun, but I had a specific need for something I could shelter under my coat. The Marlin 94 in all variations is a great gun.

As already stated the 1894 is a great performer and far lighter to carry then the heavy 1886. The 94 is lighter than the Marlin 336 (another great gun also missing from the poll)

There are not many to choose from.

That just leave the Marlin 1895 in 45/70 for my vote. I decided to take a pass on the 1886 when reintroduced by browning due to weight, balance and feel(grip, butt plate). Marlin seems to have got it just right when they adapted the 336 to the 45/70 with pistol grip, 1/2 magazine and 22 inch barrel - perfection.

If you are talking historic then I might vote for the 86, but I assume nostalgia and history are not what this poll is about because I dont see the 1866 or 73.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a hunter with a heavy hand and a strong arm, it's the best, but the Marlin 1895 is by far lighter, smoother and faster...have you seen the new SBL?

That gun and most marlin appear to be out of stock (or I mis understood the website). I have a friend looking to buy an SBL, or thinking about. He is worried about the pending plant shutdown and move to some undisclosed Remington site. I see plenty of Marlins at dealers, but not caught site of the SBL. Not very traditional, but practical - not for me ... Well, who knows?

I dont know about calling the Marlin smoother than the Winchester. I would say the exact opposite. I own and shoot the Win92(Browning B92) and Marlin 94 side by side and 92 is much slicker, like glass. The 94 will (and did) break in, but I dont see it catching up to the 92. The Marlin recoil pad is much better than curved steel.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally hunt with a marlin but I think the winchester 86 'feels' better. I agree that a worn in marlin is smoother to operate.

1st year B0 serial number 1895 with scope, 1951 manufacture 35 remington waffle top 336A

1886 deluxe takedown and 100th anniversary 1895 30-06 carbine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye, Have you shot the 1886 much? I really fear those curve steel butt plates. IMHO, That gun is a beautifully finished and fine rifle. I saw those when they were out.

Winchester made plenty 1886 with pistol grips and shotgun butt plate. A fancy, hi end, Winchester 86 was often ordered with a shotgun butt plate. Is this curved steel look what buyers really want? I love the take down feature and don't even mind the 9.5 pound weight for a non hunter. I draw the line at the totally non practical, painful, curve steel butt plate. If they decided to offer a 50/110 with killer steel like that, I would pass it up for sure.

One of Us
Picture of charcoal burner
posted Hide Post
When you speak of the 1895 Marlin are we talking about the modern one or the orginal? Also not to open a can of worms , but seems there are a number of lever action rifles/ carbines missing , among them the Model 1893 Marlin, 1881 Marlin predates the 1886 Winchester by 5 years and was the first lever gun to be chambered for the 45-70, of course there is the Volcanic's that were the Grandfathers of all lever guns, but I better shut up or I will undoubtedly step on some toes.

Posts: 150 | Location: Wyomin' | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
Buckeye, Have you shot the 1886 much? I really fear those curve steel butt plates. IMHO, That gun is a beautifully finished and fine rifle. I saw those when they were out.
I draw the line at the totally non practical, painful, curve steel butt plate. If they decided to offer a 50/110 with killer steel like that, I would pass it up for sure.

You are exactly correct, the curved steel buttplate on both Winchesters make them more difficult to shoot. The 86 feels like a .458 with hot handloads. The 1895 in 30-06 with 180's feels like a 250 grain 338wm with the steel plate.

Burner--- the modern version of the 1895 was reintoduced in 1972. The serial number on first years will start in BO and they have ballard rifled barrels instead of microgroove barrels. I honestly have never seen an original 1895 for sale.

One of Us
Picture of charcoal burner
posted Hide Post
I know refering to other sites is not really recomended here, but there is an unbelieveable original 1895 Marlin takedown Deluxe in 45-90 at Gunbroker, it's worth a look, spendy but I believe maybe worth it for a collector.

Posts: 150 | Location: Wyomin' | Registered: 29 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is just me, but I don't find the steel curved butt that much of an issue as long as I am not shooting off the bench. I shoot both Browning '86 and Ruger No. 3 in 45/70Gov't and no question the recoil is stout, but not painful. When I do shoot off the bench, which is not that often, I simply place a towel or jacket between the butt and my shoulder. Makes it tolerable. After shooting my No.1 in 458Lott, both these 45/70's are a pleasure to shoot!!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are very uncomfortable for me. The tip on the bottom always seems to grind into my pectorial muscle. Its like getting stabbed but an icepick, I end up with a quarter sized bruise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well like you said it's in the mind of the beholder! Of the levers I own? The Win 92(Rossi Clone) is buy far the best action! The Win'94 best to carry in the feild own three(one is a Marlin '94)! Most accurate Marlin 336! They all have there attributes but if I had to choose the best- the Classic Win '94!

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt little things with a lever rifle. I do have an '86 chambered in 50-110 appropriate for anything in the world...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote