New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 1886 replica
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, understood. The 50 Alaskan (510 version) sounds like it would be a real powerhouse. Good choice for a modern lever like the Marlin 1895SBL, mentions on the adjacent thread. The more I look at it the more it grows on me, as a platform for what been discussed here. Real wood though, I am not that modern. Or even plastic, but I hate that gray laminate look.

I don't have (and never had) an 1886, but if a 50/110 were ever offered that might justify the heavy weight and expense for me.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the real issues in the 50-110 is the bullets that are out there and how to make it feed in an 86 or 71. The wide meplats that every one likes really adds to the feeding issue thru the loading gate. The 50 alaskan will do everything you neeed and is shorter and better to load with smokeless powder.

As for not wanting it put into an original gun the 50 aslaskan will go in and shoot just fine in the original guns yet the pressures are to high for a non nickle steel barrel. The weak link in the 86 is so many of the old non-nickel steel guns and the Marlin is the thin web in the barrel and the magazine channel. The Marlin is thought to be a stronger gun but they are made of modern steel in the barrel as the Win 86 had most of them made of the non-nickle steel barrels. The Marlin threads are smaller than the Winchester. It is the barrel issue not the action issue that we are running into. Teh Marlin was made for 2.550" as the Winchester is mde for about 2.800 and then you are subject to the bullet that you use, will it feed thru the loading gate and make the turn into the magazine.

As for the Winchester 71 it does not have the "S" hook to pull the cartridge into the carrier and that starts to limit the minimum COAL to about 2.650" if shorter than that you MIGHT have cartridge flip out as the carrier comes up to feed the next round into the chamber. I like to have the cartridge to be about 2.700" long to eliminate this issue.

I have taken the 1886 and because of the "S" hook it has fed the 500 Limbaugh rounds just fine with out any cartridge flip. I ran them thru a 50-110 and 50 alaskan that we had to see if it would work and it seemed to just fine.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks for the reply. Your expertise is a great asset. What do you think of the 2.25" case for the .500 bullets to get a 2.75" oal on the canalure of the .5" tip to canalure 500 S&W bullets for a reliable cycling in the 1886 model 71 and 1886? Also your opinion on the 2.3" case for 45-70 bullets on a shortened 45-90 case to have an oal of the same 2.75" on the 1886 to use 45-70 ammo and the 2.3" case with the same 2.75" for reliable cycling? I myself would want reliable cycling of the wide meplat bullets even if it means the optimal 2.75" over the 2.8".

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
One of the real issues in the 50-110 is the bullets that are out there and how to make it feed in an 86 or 71. The wide meplats that every one likes really adds to the feeding issue thru the loading gate. The 50 alaskan will do everything you neeed and is shorter and better to load with smokeless powder.

As for not wanting it put into an original gun the 50 aslaskan will go in and shoot just fine in the original guns yet the pressures are to high for a non nickle steel barrel. The weak link in the 86 is so many of the old non-nickel steel guns and the Marlin is the thin web in the barrel and the magazine channel. The Marlin is thought to be a stronger gun but they are made of modern steel in the barrel as the Win 86 had most of them made of the non-nickle steel barrels. The Marlin threads are smaller than the Winchester. It is the barrel issue not the action issue that we are running into. Teh Marlin was made for 2.550" as the Winchester is mde for about 2.800 and then you are subject to the bullet that you use, will it feed thru the loading gate and make the turn into the magazine.

As for the Winchester 71 it does not have the "S" hook to pull the cartridge into the carrier and that starts to limit the minimum COAL to about 2.650" if shorter than that you MIGHT have cartridge flip out as the carrier comes up to feed the next round into the chamber. I like to have the cartridge to be about 2.700" long to eliminate this issue.

I have taken the 1886 and because of the "S" hook it has fed the 500 Limbaugh rounds just fine with out any cartridge flip. I ran them thru a 50-110 and 50 alaskan that we had to see if it would work and it seemed to just fine.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
OK Doug I found this on your website

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Based on the Winchester 50-110 or the 50 Express, the 475 Turnbull case is shortened from 2.4” down to 2.2” in length. The loaded overall length should be 2.65” to 2.78” so that the feeding will not be affected whether in the Winchester model 71 or 1886 actions. The .475 Turnbull rifle cartridge has proven itself by taking a full gamut of animals including prairie dogs, antelope, deer, hippos, buffalo, rhinos and elephants."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So we have the same conclusion it seems that about 2.75" ish is about the right max OAL for reliable cycling. With existing bullets it seems 2.25" is good for the .500" bullets and it's .500" tip to canalure and 2.3" is about right for .458 bullets with it's .45" tip to canalure. Anything else you can add?

Thanks again!

Posts: 27610 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright, so how hard or easy would it be to convert a modern 1886 or 71 to 50-110? COL seems to be compatable without any real modification, so just a rebarrel? Seems too easy.

Edit:
Doug Turnbull, just read your post. Thank you and I understand the issues we face here. So, then let me ask this, what about the 510KE? It is said to have a slight shoulder to prevent it from chambering in the 50-110 and Alaskan! So can this be the ticket? Maybe a .500 version loaded to 2.75 or so? If this is true, factory loaded ammunition can be feasable. Would it not be a more powerful cartridge then the 50-110 as well?

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A 2.3" .500" version of the 50-110 would not harm the gun if fired in a 50-110 and would not chamber in a 50 Alaskan so no shoulder needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy Sticky, I like the idea, but trying to justify it in my head. If the 50-110 is a good cartridge for the 1886 and 71, and is more powerful, then why not just stick with it. And using 2.3" brass in a 2.4" chamber wouldn't harm anything or be a new cartridge, but would allow us to keep the nestalgia of this old dog. The pressure issue will always be there, and I still worry about a high pressure 500 in a 50-110 because the cup n' core bullets would still obturate at those pressures and although it would be less then it would in the intended gun, it could still have the potential for damage to an antique.

We could always follow the way of the 45-70 with Buffalo Bore and Garrett offering potent loads, and leaving the top shelf stuff up to us handloaders, but I must give credit to Mic for creating that 510KE! Even if we did a 500KE, we would still want the slight shoulder (though I doubt any real ballistic advantage is offered) it is still more powerful and will prevent chambering in the older guns. It just seems we have to be as practical as possible here and work out all the details before we proceed...now when it comes to that 2.3" 458, I'm all for it. I am reworking the design right now for a 500 grain version, but it will be pretty short, like .8" long! I will be reducing the meplat some and streamlining it so it can be a better medium range bullet or so, and this will allow me to keep the bullet long enough to seat properly. I will then work out the ballistics with Mike, the friend of mine from ABS barrels. Will get you and answer soon.

-Extremist
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'm getting 2060 fps out of a 535 grain woodleigh and almost 2600 fps out of a 300 grain. You will get more with the larger case capacity of the larger rounds. How much more do you think you would need? My gun can be a handful now.
As a note though, my gun is a 26 inch barrel not one of the 16 or 18 inch shorties that are popular now.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Guys, I'm getting 2060 fps out of a 535 grain woodleigh and almost 2600 fps out of a 300 grain. You will get more with the larger case capacity of the larger rounds. How much more do you think you would need? My gun can be a handful now.
As a note though, my gun is a 26 inch barrel not one of the 16 or 18 inch shorties that are popular now.

Good stuff!!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If you go to midway USA www.midwayusa.com you will find 5 bullets with the proper crimp location for the 50-110 like the one below

Now look up .500" bullets and you will find almost 50 kinds!!! Two reasons... Bullets and functional OAL without costly and time consuming major surgery on the gun. since there are 10 times the bullets for one over the other that is reason enough alone.

If 2.75" is a good OAL to function why mess with it.

One thing to think about... Case taper. If you add a shoulder you lose almost all of your taper. I would go without the shoulder thing. Just a neck and body taper.

quote:
Originally posted by Extremist458:
Boomy Sticky, I like the idea, but trying to justify it in my head. If the 50-110 is a good cartridge for the 1886 and 71, and is more powerful, then why not just stick with it. And using 2.3" brass in a 2.4" chamber wouldn't harm anything or be a new cartridge, but would allow us to keep the nestalgia of this old dog. The pressure issue will always be there, and I still worry about a high pressure 500 in a 50-110 because the cup n' core bullets would still obturate at those pressures and although it would be less then it would in the intended gun, it could still have the potential for damage to an antique.

We could always follow the way of the 45-70 with Buffalo Bore and Garrett offering potent loads, and leaving the top shelf stuff up to us handloaders, but I must give credit to Mic for creating that 510KE! Even if we did a 500KE, we would still want the slight shoulder (though I doubt any real ballistic advantage is offered) it is still more powerful and will prevent chambering in the older guns. It just seems we have to be as practical as possible here and work out all the details before we proceed...now when it comes to that 2.3" 458, I'm all for it. I am reworking the design right now for a 500 grain version, but it will be pretty short, like .8" long! I will be reducing the meplat some and streamlining it so it can be a better medium range bullet or so, and this will allow me to keep the bullet long enough to seat properly. I will then work out the ballistics with Mike, the friend of mine from ABS barrels. Will get you and answer soon.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Good to hear about the 500 grain!!!
Serious power to be had with that weight and all that extra boom room in the case!

.3" in the case is enough Big Grin

Michael seems to think that 60% meplat to shank diameter ratio works well. What meplat diameter are you going for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

I would guess that the pressures are really getting up there. Have you had anyone put a strain gauge on the barrel? My best guess is about 48-50K PSI

More is not always better!

50 -110 16: Thumper in an 1886, 675 grain at 1200 is fun to shoot and at 1500 is a real hand full and not controllable I have shot Bison with the 1200 FPS and it works just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter,

Please, please, please give some load details. I am really excited about what you are saying, and you for sure have the lead in this area...assuming you are refering to the 45-90 in the 1886, correct?

-Extremist

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a 50 alaskan not a little 45 caliber rotflmo. Photos of the gun posted above on this thread, its a Marlin Cowboy conversion with a full 26 inch barrel which helps with velocity.
I'm using starlince cases, winchester larger rifle primers and Hercules (not Alliant) Reloader 7.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick,
Here is what I got!

so, if we can load the 45-90 case to 2.9, standard 1886, we can break 5000lbs KE!

Load one: N550, under 47K psi, 77 grains, .8" bullet seated .3 in the case will get you 2123fps and 5006 lb/ft.

Load two: W748, 70.6 gr, 2122 and 5000KE

IMR 4895, 2113; 3031 2116; XMR 2495 and AA2520 will break 2100, and 68.5 grains of the super stable Varget will net you 2070 with 4756fps. All under 50K.

If we go down to 2.75" with a .75" bullet seated .3" we can still get 2094 with 64.4 grains of 3031.

-Extremist

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Did you mean 2.8"?
If a gun was modified to work reliably that would be fine but even as Doug states in his website 2.78" should max for feeding reliability. I was thinking 2.3" because some 45-70 bullets are longer than .45" tip to canalure.

I think 99% of people would be thrilled to get 500 grains @ 2,000 FPS in a gun that fires factory 45-70 ammo since top 45-70 loads are 400 @ 2,000!!!

Keep up the good work 458E! patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was doing custom loading for the 45-70 I would take the bullet I want and figure the crimp to nose on the bullet and make the COAL length of a 45-90 case match your needs with the OAL be 2.750" or so. With this you can get the most of the case capacity and volume to use the best paowder to keep the pressures at a minimun but the velocity at a maximum for what you want to do. Doing this even thou you are using 45-90 cases use the 45-70 reloading dies to do your loading and crimp as the 45-90 dies may be to short.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I was doing custom loading for the 45-70 I would take the bullet I want and figure the crimp to nose on the bullet and make the COAL length of a 45-90 case match your needs with the OAL be 2.750" or so. With this you can get the most of the case capacity and volume to use the best paowder to keep the pressures at a minimun but the velocity at a maximum for what you want to do. Doing this even thou you are using 45-90 cases use the 45-70 reloading dies to do your loading and crimp as the 45-90 dies may be to short.

Thanks again for your input Doug. Yes some bullets like I think the Speers have two crimp grooves for something like this and was thinking this too but thought that a lot of people would want to use the crimp on over the counter bullets but with reaming it for he 2.3" case you can do both. There is a tool to add a canalure to existing bullets. With the bullets that are short like 458Extremist is making we would need the extra case length to have enough bullet in the case.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
These 330 Barnes banded solids would be good to use 45-70 brass and the 2.75" oal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, would an Ackley Improved Case on the .348 work in a Model 1886 or has Turnbull already done this with his 475?

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are about three of the 348 improved loads.
one has a .490 shoulder or a blown out 348 the next is the .535 dhoulder and 40 degree this is the ackley imoroved 40 degree and wiht this you need to do more action modifications to get them to feed thru the loading gate.
The 348 blown out to 45 cal is like a 470 or 475 Turnbull depending on the shoulder diamater. Winchester actually made this round in 1912 and they had a 350 gr at 2500FPS? but they did not have a bullet that would hold together at those velocity so they made the 33 and then the 348.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Interesting Doug. What did Winchester call the 45-348 and do you have specs on dimensions or a pic??? Thanks.

quote:
There are about three of the 348 improved loads.
one has a .490 shoulder or a blown out 348 the next is the .535 dhoulder and 40 degree this is the ackley imoroved 40 degree and wiht this you need to do more action modifications to get them to feed thru the loading gate.
The 348 blown out to 45 cal is like a 470 or 475 Turnbull depending on the shoulder diamater. Winchester actually made this round in 1912 and they had a 350 gr at 2500FPS? but they did not have a bullet that would hold together at those velocity so they made the 33 and then the 348.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
46 WCF

I have some copies of the drawings of the cartridge and the info on it. So WInchester was ahead of Fuller and Johnson with the 45 caliber 348. Just no good bullet for it. That is how I came up wiht the changes and a 475 cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would be of great interest to the lever crowd to see the pics and info. Can you post it? Thanks!

I found a pic... Would be good to see the info you have also the dimensions especialy the case length.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/slics/09auctiona.pdf

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be of great interest to the lever crowd to see the pics and info. Can you post it? Thanks!

Yes, this would be very interesting. I have a card index, with nearly 3000 different rounds and drawings, but this round I don´t have.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I don't know where the print for the ,348 winchester came from ? but the #'s don't match any winchester brass !
.610 is .600
.553 is .547
.485 is .480
.605 is .440
.2.255 is 2.245
1.650 is 1.670 The only matching # is rim at .070

This is winchester new unprimed brass !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just get you a Win 1886 .475 Turnbull and rock on.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USRAC 1886 TD DLX, tang safety removed and filled in , color cased, wood refinished to right color and deluxe finish, 45-70, 1/2 oct/rnd, $1995 till July 4th.
www.turnbullmfg.com
email: info@turnbullmfg.com for more info on the special.

Doug