THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    With Marlin making the 338 Marlin Express why not make a 338-450 Marlin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

With Marlin making the 338 Marlin Express why not make a 338-450 Marlin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
With Marlin making the 338 Marlin Express why not make a 338-450 Marlin?
or better yet a 338 RCM with 338 ME bullets?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of course I am guessing here but,

I think they went with a rimmed version of the styer case over the 450 marlin case because they gain a small amount of barrel thickness. I know its not much but every little bit helps. It is probably also cheaper and easier to make a rimmed case compared to a belted case.

Now as to why not use the 45-70 case, again it allows a small amount more metal in the barrel. They can also get rid of the wider loading gate and ejection port cut out that the 45-70 requires by going with a smaller rim (again this is just a guess becuase I havent seen the rifle or seen the case drawing). They also dont have to worry so much about handloaders using thin brass.

As to why not the 338 RCM, size (width and length) and pressure are all to much for the marlin action.

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I also wondered why Marlin didn't jump up and make a 375JDJ (375x444) in a lever gun. I really think it would shine out of a lever gun and maybe it would still be around as factory loaded ammo.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes you think too much guys. Just have the gunsmith build a 38-56IMP or a 348WinImp.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the 375jdj would require paying a royalty as JD Jones has trademarked the round. My guess is they are using the 308ME case so they can control and profit from ammo sales. They are making lots of cash on the guns and hornady is doing well on the gummy ammo.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
He trademarked 375JDJ...the name.
You could mark the side of the barrel 375x444...its the same.
Thats how the custom T/C barrel makers do it.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All they'd need to release a 33 WCF Ackley Improved +P (I'm sorry, the 338 Marlin Superhooter) is a barrel swap... Time for more Cabernet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What 338 Marlin express???? Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What 338 Marlin express???? Confused

Article and ballistics table here:
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2008/10/new-from-marlin.html

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote