Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 out of a 30-40 1895
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
yes you an get the 1895 in 30-06 but if you had one in 30-40 this seems to be a neet idea...
or you could get a regular old any old military 30-40 krag and do this if it works.

major brass manufacturers are making the 30-06 casehead about .466" although the spec is about .471" so using the 405 win brass i think would work

i dont know if its been done but i think you could use the 30-40 or 405 win shell holder and use the 405 win brass and 30-06 dies to form a rimmed 30-06 case to work in the 30-40 krag rifles. if you wanted more you could do a 30 gibs, 300 howell or 300 hawk version but the cheap 30-06 dies would be dandy and most people have them. just rechamber to 30-06 and you are up and running...the rim is already there and i dont think there would be any feeding issues.

them krags were loaded out long.

has this been done? any potential issues?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you want either a 30-06 or 30-40 Krag -- you can buy a new one today at Davidson's Gallery of guns. They do have the tang safety and rebounding hammer but they are nice guns, I bought one of each.

Posts: 5704 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i was thinking today that if you wanted a 405 win improved kinda like doing a 450 ackley version of the lott you could use the 411 hawk reamer and dies and the 405 brass

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the 30/40 Krag.. I have a bolt action in that caliber and it is more than enough gun for anything in the lower 48...

and a lot cooler in a 1895 Win, than say an 06...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Cost of brass might present a problem, but then I'm cheap.
I shoot my 95 in 30-06 with cast bullets using jacketed bullet data with great results. I've not shot a jacketed bullet through the rifle since I've owned.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 1895's in 30-06 and 303 British, and the magazine on the 303 won't accept longer cartridges, they opened up the magazine for the 30-06. I suspect the the 30-40 is the same as the 303. Doesn't seem worth the effort for a little more velocity.

Tim

Posts: 16 | Location: gibsonia | Registered: 21 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Boomstick-

I don't know whether your idea would work physically or not, and I won't"dis" you for thinking of it. Nothing wrong with any other man having his own dreams...

BUT, for me alone, it would never work. I owned a M '95 carbine in .303 Brit for several years and it always correctly answered any question I reasonably asked of it. To me, a conversion to some off-the-wall wildcat would have simply screwed up a really nice gun and turned it into an illegitimate child of a illicit union. Once in a while useful perhaps, but not a being one would want to put in their will or be seen in public with.

kind of reminds me of a psychiatrist once arrested in the Palo Alto, CA, train station (true story). That guy got his jollies by cramming billiard balls up his butt, then pooping them into his shoe, while performing oral sex on other men....it did no one any harm that I am aware of, and today he likely wouldn't be arrested for that in that locale, but it's definitely not an activity I'd want MY name associated with....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda seeing a 30 caliber necked down on a 405 case with balistic performance of a 30-06 maybe I could use in a double...is it just me bewildered

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
kind of reminds me of a psychiatrist once arrested in the Palo Alto, CA, train station (true story). That guy got his jollies by cramming billiard balls up his butt, then pooping them into his shoe, while performing oral sex on other men....it did no one any harm that I am aware of, and today he likely wouldn't be arrested for that in that locale, but it's definitely not an activity I'd want MY name associated with....