THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What rifle would you use for a brown bear charge
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What rifle would you use for a brown bear charge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 12GA semi auto shotgun loaded with (as many as possible) 600 grains brenneke´s..
That is what I would use if i knew that a bear is going to charge. Try to find something better? I can get of 4-5 aimed shots in 3 seconds.
With a bolt action rifle you would only get off 1 maybe 2 shots if it is close. And no matter how big rifle you have.. you must hit the in the right place. In the head or the spine. And the 600 brenneke gives very good penetration.. I have used it on moose.
//OK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if I was standing there waiting for a Bear to charge, and knew it would happen; it would be the biggest caliber I could shoot well for at least 3 shots. probably something along the lines of a .458 Lott. However, I would not go hunting Bear with the Lott, as I have to carry the thing and would choose something lighter that handles a little quicker with enough power with a well placed hit. I would hunt with my .338-06.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible stop one of those guys with a auto .45 pistol close in?

Certainly wouldn't be my 1st choice, however -- the first brown bear that I had ever heard about being killed with a handgun was done in with a 1911, 45ACP w/230 hardball. The last shot was in the top of the head as the bear had slid to a stop at point blank range after the first six. Yes, the man said the pucker factor was very high. shocker

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If I knew I was going to face a serious Brown bear charge I would choose the same rifle I have carried for the majority of the past twenty-five years; My short, Mauser actioned 458 Win.
I have carried a 30-06, 9.3x62, various 375's & 416's, the 45-70, 458 Lott and a 505 Gibbs but the more I use other calibers the more impressed I am with the standard 458 Win.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago another hunter and I experienced two all-out charges. His bear took four chest hits from two .375's at 28 yards (he and his guide). Bear was still on his feet until the fourth bullet, Trophy Bonded Federal factory ammo. My very large boar was dead instantly at about 100 yards from one 350 gr. Swift A-Frame from a .416 Rigby, handload. Shot placement difference, I got the nervous system, his was in the lungs. I would consider the .416/.458 Win. to be optimum if the shooter does his part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have changed my mind.. the biggest bolt action rifle that you can shot well with..
For me it will be my .460 wby...
for a close range charge under 15-20 yards I dont think that anyone can get off more than only 1 shot.
And you must be lucky if you hit well with it.
The first shot is the most important.. the bigger caliber the better if you hit in the right place!

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........ Now you're talkin .... I,ve now got some 400 gr bullets for my 454 Casull that I have to develop a load for and see if they are tough enough ......... I think it will take alot to beat the 320 gr Belt Mountain Punch bullet as loaded in the Casull ammo by Cor Bon . . That load does 1600 fps and realistically it comes close to duplicating the 45/70 ..... No it,s not the 458 Win . But it is very easy to have along .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote