THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Favorite Moose hunting rifle/scope/cartridge/bullet ?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Moose hunting rifle/scope/cartridge/bullet ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one moose I shot was with a .330 Dakota.

One shot and done.

I have to get back up there after them again.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post

Here's a meatbull just behind the house. 358 Norma Magnum, pre-64 action, 60+ grains of H-4895 behind a 280 rain Swift A-Frame.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:

Here's a meatbull just behind the house. 358 Norma Magnum, pre-64 action, 60+ grains of H-4895 behind a 280 rain Swift A-Frame.

Everything in and about that picture is neat tu2

Neat gun too !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
Interesting thread.

I wonder if the cartridge choice would change if any/all of you were given a once in a lifetime chance to spend several days flying from your home on the other side of the world, have spent several months organizing paperwork for licences etc and have spent $18 - $22k on a fully guided hunt with one of the better operators in a really good area for your once in a lifetime moose hunt with little or no chance of returning.

Not at all. My .325wsm with 200 grain TSX is perfect moose medicine.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul, you're right (did I just say that???), hunting Moose in your backyard is different than spending $20K on an outfitted hunt half-way around the world. Maybe a 375?

Biebs,

I take every hunt I do 100% serious. That's even if it is up here and DIY. If I use a gun on one of my hunts here I'm doing it because I feel that it is the best tool for the job. If I didn't think it was the best tool I'd have the one that was. That's just me though.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have both a 9.3x62 Sako Black bear and a semi custom 9.3x64 that I am happily using to knock down deer with here in Aus that I would feel more comfortable in using on a hunt for moose.

Assuming you shoot them well they would either be fine choices for moose when paired with an appropriate bullet.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custom Brown Precision 375H&H. 1.7 X 10 Swarovski.
One gun one planet.

Ok, I've killed more with my little light weight 35 year old Brown Precision 300 WM. Then any other Rifle.

Ok Ok 2 guns one planet.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

If a guy asks me about a rifle for a guided AK/Yukon moose hunt and the biggest rifle he's every shot was an '06 I'd say bring that with 180-200 gr premium bullets. on the other hand if the hunter is familiar with heavier calibers I'd tell him to bring something like a 338 of some ilk or 375. Occasionally a moose will give you that raking shot as he's going away and you'll need the big bullet. I've shot them with 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 H&H and WBY, 416 and 458. They all worked fine but the one (actually Mr. Huffaker shot it) did run off 50 yards before he whacked it again dumping it in a good spot. Where a moose goes down is very important as that is where you're going to have to work on him and you don't want to be doing that in a hole somewhere or in the water. The moose shot with the heavier calibers only went a matter of feet if any distance at all. To me the 338's and 375's with the right bullets are about ideal as you can make a fairly long shot with them as well having plenty of anchoring power. Your 9.3x64 would work nicely also. maybe with the 250 TSX.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one expends big bucks on a guided hunt of any kind I would expect it to be smart to take the biggest gun he can shoot to take advantage of long shots and close shots..I would recommend a .338 Win if one can shoot it, if not then at least a 30-06

As to the 7x57, Ive shot enough elk with it to be comfortable with using it on Moose..but I know my .338 is better than my 7x57 or my 30-06.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Paul,

If a guy asks me about a rifle for a guided AK/Yukon moose hunt and the biggest rifle he's every shot was an '06 I'd say bring that with 180-200 gr premium bullets. on the other hand if the hunter is familiar with heavier calibers I'd tell him to bring something like a 338 of some ilk or 375. Occasionally a moose will give you that raking shot as he's going away and you'll need the big bullet. I've shot them with 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 H&H and WBY, 416 and 458. They all worked fine but the one (actually Mr. Huffaker shot it) did run off 50 yards before he whacked it again dumping it in a good spot. Where a moose goes down is very important as that is where you're going to have to work on him and you don't want to be doing that in a hole somewhere or in the water. The moose shot with the heavier calibers only went a matter of feet if any distance at all. To me the 338's and 375's with the right bullets are about ideal as you can make a fairly long shot with them as well having plenty of anchoring power. Your 9.3x64 would work nicely also. maybe with the 250 TSX.

Mark

Mark, and all others a sincere thank-you for the constructive contributions.

I have been on "the other side of the fence".
When I was guiding on buffalo prospective clients would ask about "adequate" calibers for our Asiatics. Conscious of the debate surrounding "adequate" calibers I would advise clients almost identically as Mark has posted.

I would much rather be guiding a hunter on buff with a guy who can shoot bug-eyes with his .375 (loaded with an appropriate projectile) than someone carrying a .416 that they are scared of.

I am fortunate that many years of exposure to heavy caliber rifles has rendered me virtually free of concern of recoil from anything under the .577 which is my limit.

As previously mentioned I am quite comfortable, and relatively capable with either of my 9.3's.

Recently, after retiring from guiding on buffalo I sold off excess rifles and others I had little use for and others that were over-lapping application. As a result, for the first time in over 25 years, I do not have a .375 or a .338 in my cabinet therefore the 9.3's.

Thanks to all again for a constructive and educational (for me) discussion tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

really like the rifle and the synthetic stock. really match where you hunt.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
9.3X62

9.3X62

9.3X74R (last Sept)

Either of your 9.3s will be just fine. tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, those are great pictures of some very impressive bulls.

You seem to be getting pass-throughs in your 9.3's.
What projectiles are you using, if you don't mind me asking ?

That's an impressive blood trail in the final pic of the bull shot with your 9.3x74.

Thanks for posting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used .30-30ai, .270, .308, .30-06, .30-338, .300wm, .338-06, .338wm, 9,3x62, .375RUM an 45-70. Everyone of them calibers was providing meat. Can't say one is better than the other or worse cept the.....RUM. @374yds with the 270xlc was massively a blow out, exit wasted large amounts of meat with 1 shot. Can't eat bloodshot. Rifle wasn't intended for moose hunting but the size of that bull made me do it. Think the 45-70 was the best meat gun shooting hard cast then the .30-30ai with hard cast....actually moose hit right with a good bullet go down generally on first shot.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antlers, those are great pictures of some very impressive bulls.

You seem to be getting pass-throughs in your 9.3's.
What projectiles are you using, if you don't mind me asking ?

That's an impressive blood trail in the final pic of the bull shot with your 9.3x74.

Thanks for posting.

I use 286gr Nosler Partitions in both.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:

Waterrat, I got a chuckle when I saw this post - I misread it - thought you said, "meatball"! rotflmo Very nice - love mannlicher stocked rifles.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose is a big bucket list thing with me also--I must admit, I love my 416 that has done elle and buff. Unless i knew i was going to be shooting over 250 yds I would tend to go with it. My elk rifle is my grandfathers M-70 338 alaskan, that would be second choice.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
Moose is a big bucket list thing with me also--I must admit, I love my 416 that has done elle and buff. Unless i knew i was going to be shooting over 250 yds I would tend to go with it. My elk rifle is my grandfathers M-70 338 alaskan, that would be second choice.

Moose country can be tough country; I would not want to lug my .416 around. On the other hand, if I did, I would feel good out to at least 300 with it.

The other thing to consider is the stock/metal finish. Alaska can be tough on both.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

Almost anything would be fine. Theres quite a few moose killed around here with the 270. A friend last year lugged around a 30/40 krag.

I think the common thread running thru many of these topics is to bring and use a rifle/ cartridge you know and use well. Generally, NO! you do not need to go get a bigger rifle than you usually carry for deer or elk. Sure, theres cartriges like a 243 that are a wee bit small, but the 7mm Rem Mag? great moose gun.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Whitworth Express chambered in .375 H&H and scoped with a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42. Replaced the walnut stock with a McMillan synthetic and had metal parts coated with Cerakote. Used Federal Premium 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws during both moose hunts.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Cajun; perfect rifle/ cartridge / bullet / optic set up.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use "The Alaskan," a .338WM topped with a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5x8. Lately I have settled with the 225-Grain TTSX bullet. This year I will try a Ruger safari version in .338WM that is "dressed" with a McMillan stock (I put the walnut stock away). The scope is a little too long for my taste, since the rifle has a 22" barrel, but quite nice (Leupold 3x9x40 that has an #4 reticle and illuminated dot in the middle).

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best advice I read here was shoot what you shoot well. I loved the story about the man with the 7 x 57.
My preference is 375 H&H or 300 Win Mag

Tim

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
There's a pretty awesome article in the latest Sports Afield by John Barnsness on lethality of various cartridges and bullets for hunting. Lot's of relevance to this discussion.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, you my friend are loosing some weight!! Scared to see next years moose pictures! Great bulls!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Antlers, you my friend are loosing some weight!! Scared to see next years moose pictures! Great bulls!

Ha! rotflmo For some context, those pics cover a period of 8yrs (there are 5yrs between the first and second pics) and I have been working very hard at getting fit for about 7yrs.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Started hunting Alaska with my Ruger 77 stainless ,338 win mag but wanted more long range
I BOUGHT one of the first 338-378 weatherby accurate rifles.I.used 250 grain nosler partitions 109 grains of reloader 25 .I.loaned my.338 win mag stainless Winchester to my.friend Loyd he shot seven moose with seven.shots in seven years with my.338 win mag .I.can't wait to get back.to.Alaska love it was There 12 years!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Moose country can be tough country; I would not want to lug my .416 around. On the other hand, if I did, I would feel good out to at least 300 with it.

The other thing to consider is the stock/metal finish. Alaska can be tough on both.

My 416 is a 416 B&M and weighs less than the factory .338. also have factory plastic stock for it. 1x4 trijicon with green post-with leopold QDW mounts.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

I recognize the family genetics in those moose. I know you stole them from my old backyard Big Grin

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a few moose with a 300 wby. 180 grain partition bullets. Reloads not sure what powder.
Took one at 100 yards another at 350 yards.
Have taken numerous animals with it best medium to large game animal gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same old story, everyone has a favorite, they all work if you can shoot..I have a couple of favorites, the 30-06 and the .338 and the more Ive used them on large animals the more I lean towards the .338 but I shoot both of them equally as well so why not opt for the larger caliber. Same with elk or Afrian PG..plus Im better armed if a mad bear shows up..but like I said its just opinion..If my .338 broke, Id get by just fine with my 30-06 or 30-30 for that matter.

My experience with Moose is they have no nervous system, shoot them with whatever and eat your lunch, they won't die until they decide to, they just keep grazing. Or walk out into the deepest water they can fine and drown themselves!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess everyone has to do it differently. I've only shot one moose, this little one on the Yukon Delta in 2015.

45-70-480 paper patched.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photo and rifle Brent, neat way to get it done.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My father has killed 7 of them. 5 in Alaska in the 1960's and 2 in Wyoming. 6 bulls and 1 cow I believe.

He used a 243 once, the 308 WCF twice, the 300 Winchester 2 or 3 times and a 30-40 Krag for the rest of them. His last bull was with a 308, and my Sauer 202.

My goal is to hunt moose in 2018 either at Krasny Bor in Belarus or in Estonia.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Tell us about your rifle!

quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
I guess everyone has to do it differently. I've only shot one moose, this little one on the Yukon Delta in 2015.

45-70-480 paper patched.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
Tell us about your rifle!

Sure. It is a Ballard Number 5, also called the Ballard Pacific. It was a buffalo rifle back in the day, although whether this particular rifle was ever out on the plains back then is unknown. To be sure, if it was, it was at the very end of the era as it a late Pacific rather than a very early one.

Everything on this rifle is original except the wiping rod is a replacement and the lace on leather sling is modern of course. The rear sight, is a midrange tang sight that works with the hooded front post and bead front sight.

I have killed a bunch of antelope with it but not much else. I take it elk hunting from time to time, but those are just long hikes in the high country Smiler

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Absolutely wonderful pics and rifle Brent, thank you for sharing. Love seeing a classic at work.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
Absolutely wonderful pics and rifle Brent, thank you for sharing. Love seeing a classic at work.

I couldn't agree more. Your pictures have captured the essence of what a hunt should be.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments. I wrote a bit more about that hunt and added a lot more pictures to the story. There were some other firsts for me too. Flying in a Beaver float plane was one of them. Anyway, you can read more about it here.
http://bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7311

Mark and I are hoping to reprise that trip with another in 2018 or 2019. I posted a thread about looking for suggestions for another Alaskan location and outfitter at
http://forums.accuratereloadin...8521043/m/9091032132

And ideas or comments are always welcome.