New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range 338
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got rid of my 338 RUM last year in a fit of practicality and have really been missing it ever since. I know there was at least one griz that I would have shot had I had my RUM instead of my 300 winnie. I trust the winnie on a perfect shot at fairly close range but this was just over 200 yards and the angle was a little quartering towards me. The 180gr partition might have punched the shoulder and still done enough damage to the lungs to make for a short tracking job but I wasn't 100% sure and it was some really brushy draws close by that I didn't feel like crawling into after a bear with a bad wheel but with the engine still running. I would have been much more comfortable with a 225 TSX/ACCUbond, or 250gr Partition gold that I used to shoot out of my RUM.

I've pretty much decided on either having a RUM built on a stainless Montana Rifleman 1999 action with 26" barrel or getting a Rem 700 XCR and having a little work done to it. Either way I'll still have to get another stock, and on the XCR have the bolt converted to AR15 style extractor. It would probably be cheaper to go with the Remington.

I'm looking for a overall weight to be right around 8.5lbs and I think thats pretty doable with either action. My only concern that I have heard some horror storries about the Montana rifleman actions not feeding well. While I don't really like the remington safety my smith makes a nice swap barrel out of the rem 700 actions and a swap barrel setup of 338rum/404j has quite some appeal. Any ideas or comments??

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 300 ultra mag necked to 338 its got more powder roomn.If your going to have one built you might as well.I like the 338-378s.I have two accumarks .I will have a custom 338-378 with a 30" barrel built one day.I shoot mostly 250 gr nosler partitions out of my accumarks I have shot .25 groups with it and custom loads.I am wondering if the ultra mags will disapear or not if so I would get 1000 pcs of brass for your ultra mag.It sure has gone up Its about $329/500 now and getting hard to fing.I think Remington is the only one making its single 338 ultra mag now.I wanted a sendero in it but I am about forgetting it now with my two 338-378 accumarks .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
well i dont think the 338 lapua is going anywhere with its military and law enforcement usage... it seems to gain popularity year over year. sako sells them at a reasonable (meaning not an ungodly amount) price.

personaly i think a 375-lapua would rock!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given any thought to a .358 STA? Superior Ammo offers head stamped brass or loaded ammo. 250 gr. bullets at nearly 3000 fps is flat shooting and packs a punch, not to mention large wound channel. North Fork makes premium 35 cal bullets up to 270 grain, and the Hornady bullet I used in mine this year worked beautifully on the elk I shot - both shoulders and the spine and the bullet held together for complete penetration and minimal meat damage.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I already have the dies, brass, and bullets for the RUM though.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only other cartridge I would look at would be the 340 weatherby or possibly a 338/375Ruger.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
If you want it go for it. Sounds like you have confidence in the rum.

That rem sounds like a neat rifle. Swap barrel that is.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote