THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Snow-mobiler shoots moose with pistol
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow-mobiler shoots moose with pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the Wyoming game department was attempting to identify the shooter.

That may or may not be true. I can't remember where I read it.

Posts: 11966 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I read somewhere that the Wyoming game department was attempting to identify the shooter.

That may or may not be true. I can't remember where I read it.

Yep, I now see on the Boone and Crockett facebook site a blurb about contacting Wyoming F % G. I have searched far and wide on the trusty internet and can find virtually nothing else on the location. I also don't see any requests elsewhere looking for info, so my guess is that fish & game somewhere has spoken to the man and are deciding how to handle the case. Given some of the wacky comments people have posted on many sites they may keep this quiet for a while for the guy's personal safety.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Given some of the wacky comments people have posted on many sites they may keep this quiet for a while for the guy's personal safety .

The guy just proved he could drop a Moose with an autoloading pistol of likely .45 ACP or smaller. The "wacky's" would have to be very whacky to target him. Just sayin'

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of Colorado women were recuperating after a moose attack northwest of Denver over the weekend.

They were walking their dogs in the city of Black Hawk when the encounter took place, the Gilpin County Sheriff's Office said.

"All of a sudden, I looked up and he was looking right at me and grunted and then charged," Jackqueline Boron told CNN affiliate KDVR. "I tried to get up, and he kept coming back and stomping on me.

"Then I fell back he got me here," Boron said, pointing to her arm. "Then, when I curled up forward, that's when he got me on the head."

The attack left Boron with staples in the back of her head, 15 stitches on her leg and four broken ribs, KDVR reported.

Ellen Marie Divis was also stomped on by the moose, but was able to get away to find help.

"I heard 'help me, help me, help me,'" neighbor Chris Hockley told KDVR. "This lady comes running up to her house and she's covered in blood."

The sheriff's office issued a warning after the attack.

"If you encounter a moose: walk away from it -- DO NOT walk towards it; moose are agitated by dogs; make sure your dog is on a leash, control the dog(s) and walk away," the warning said.

Lesson learned, Boron said -- don't mess with a moose.

"Don't hike (when) you know ... there's moose out there."

Posts: 19384 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Justified shoot. I think Scott must vote democrat. He and Kabluey should join forces . They both post well left of center. . Ide kill any moose they endangered me, my loved ones Or an Expensive snow machine. I mean pull your heads out.
What would any of you libs do if you just landed out in the middle of nowhere in a Super Cub and at some point a moose came and started stomping the plane. I've never had to shoot a moose in self defense yet. I've spent lots of time around them and have fed them quite a lot with my loggin business. But if you came virgin up the trail at me it would get blasted.
Mark is right about how short a distance it takes to get a snogo stuck backing it up . And like Mark I am impressed at how well his Glock worked. P Dog. Yup. Justified shoot.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Justified shoot. I think Scott must vote democrat. He and Kabluey should join forces . They both post well left of center. . Ide kill any moose they endangered me, my loved ones Or an Expensive snow machine. I mean pull your heads out.
What would any of you libs do if you just landed out in the middle of nowhere in a Super Cub and at some point a moose came and started stomping the plane. I've never had to shoot a moose in self defense yet. I've spent lots of time around them and have fed them quite a lot with my loggin business. But if you came virgin up the trail at me it would get blasted.
Mark is right about how short a distance it takes to get a snogo stuck backing it up . And like Mark I am impressed at how well his Glock worked. P Dog. Yup. Justified shoot.

Actually I've consistently voted Republican. I just didn't vote for senator the last time Stevens ran. I don't vote for felons and I couldn't see voting for Begich so I left the box blank.

Kabluey and I have disagreed rather strongly in the past, but Kab has posted some really interesting work on rifles that was quite valuable and after some time I've come to consider Kabluey as a Contrarian and a Skeptic which I think is a little bit of a lost art these days.

You on the other hand seem simply stupid. "Land a supercub and a moose starts stomping,..." Really? When or how would that happen? If I remember correctly the rider in the video advances on the moose at least twice ala Mark Sullivan and absolutely provokes the charge. That cow decided how she wanted to die. Are you really that arrogantly ignorant of moose behavior/ You really think revving the engine and yipping at the moose was an intelligent effort at moving her off? You're a moron. Winter moose need comfortable space and if you had any experience in moose country or if you'd of been using your eyes and ears while in moose country rather than your mouth you'd know that.

Perhaps I've been going about this all wrong. Rather than disagreeing with you dipshits demanding to shoot everything that moves I should consider your reasoning. Maybe I need to try and understand what it is about wildlife and game mammals that makes you so irrationally fearful. What is it? Tell me my friend, why are you so deathly afraid of moose and therefore feel the need to fill your trembling hand with a firearm at the sight of one? Momma didn't breast feed you? Got bit by the neighborhood Schnauzer when you were little? Seen to many scary movies? I can understand our Lower 48 friends being afraid of moose, they're big, not common to their locale, but what is it about you oh Anonymous One, you who claims to live in moose country and yet seem so irrationally hysterically afraid? Is this something we can work thru or should you head for Florida where the biggest baddest threat is the Cubans?

I find these posts to be unfortunate because they give our more urban readers a very slanted or actually dishonest view of what really goes on. One air taxi here in Dillingham estimates they haul 2500 outdoor tourists annually, and every year, year after year, no deadly wildlife conflicts. No moose stompings, no bear maulings. Sure those things do occasionally occur, but sun burn and wet sleeping bags are a much more common malady. .454? Hell no, bring some Goretex.

Think about it fellas, think long and hard. You wanna spend your free time screwing with a DLP moose or snowmachining? Give the game animals some space and they'll reciprocate.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again, I've had moose come prancin out at my dogteam; I yell & wave my arms, they freeze, then run back to calf and same moose has done it a bunch of times. Only once have I had a moose run down trail at me, the sound of the 44 made the moose make a 90 and keep going. I've sat and talked to the moose up close, hand fed the ones that know me, and also seen moose get pissy in late winter, deep snow, and snowmachines riding around them. I'd have to be getting stomped before I even considered shooting a local moose and that has happened in 20 years. Moose are Alaska. Moose along the Yukon are more aggressive than MatSu moose though, and spooky.

But calling a guy a Democrat, that's just outta line I do believe.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
It sure worked to get a good rise out of Scott.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote