New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi-Guided/DIY Hunts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any advice or connections for semi-guided or semi-DIY hunts in AK? I'm thinking I would like to go after black bear, caribou, or moose.

I'm not interested in paying for a complete guided hunt and spending $15K for something that could be done DIY for a lot less.

I'm looking to do the trip in 2015 and this will be my first time in AK .

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
When you say "Semi-guided" do you mean with someone basically dropping you off in an area and then coming back to pick you up? or do you mean someone with a Tent base camp or a lodge that you hunt out of ?
I was thinking you just want air- transport or Boat Drop-off, or even Air-transport with a possible float to a pick up point. Also Depends on where and what part of AK you want to go to,I understand this will be your first time here as you stated. I know some people that do this for a living, but it depends where you want to go.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
When you say "Semi-guided" do you mean with someone basically dropping you off in an area and then coming back to pick you up? or do you mean someone with a Tent base camp or a lodge that you hunt out of ?
I was thinking you just want air- transport or Boat Drop-off, or even Air-transport with a possible float to a pick up point. Also Depends on where and what part of AK you want to go to,I understand this will be your first time here as you stated. I know some people that do this for a living, but it depends where you want to go.

Either or. Ideally I would like to be able to contact someone to help fly out the meat and help process the animal in the field if possible. If I go for moose it would be my first time dealing with an animal that large and having someone that knows their way around it would probably save hours on my part.

I still have to research areas to hunt.

Are moose, bear, or caribou tags available OTC for non-residents?

At this point I'm at the very beginning stages of planning this. I think I would rather go for caribou and black bear my first trip there but I'm more interested in see what type of semi-guided options are available throughout the state.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, Black bear only, caribou, and some Moose are OTC, your best bet is to read the regs real good, as some caribou and moose areas are strictly draw. ( go online to ADF&G)
I took my first moose, on a solo hunt, on an archery draw tag way up North, and I figured it out myself, I just picture it as a deer only 10-12 times bigger, and more trips to the truck...took me 2 1/2 days to get him out but it was very cool weather so hanging the meat was not a problem, hunt was very rewarding for sure.
If your looking at a DIY moose hunt in the AK range, you can easily get on Black Bear too, I know some carriers that do drop offs.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a self guided moose hunt this year with Joe Schuster. I booked the hunt through Greg Brownlee. I had a great time and would absolutely recommend them for moose.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8521043/m/6891086291

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Rich, according to Alaska laws what you are calling "semi-guided" ( having someone helping you process the animal in the field) is still considered guided and unless you find a guide or outfitter who will list you on a contract. If you don't follow those rules you risk loosing not only your trophy but all your equipment and even your ability to hunt in your home state as well.

DIY hunts in Alaska can be wonderful experiences but they do take planning and considerable effort as well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the hunts in Alaska are either guided hunts or drop camps.
Drop camps also have some specific rules on what they can do or to do.
There maybe some different rules when a licensed guide drop you off and just not a transporter.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Rich, according to Alaska laws what you are calling "semi-guided" ( having someone helping you process the animal in the field) is still considered guided and unless you find a guide or outfitter who will list you on a contract. If you don't follow those rules you risk loosing not only your trophy but all your equipment and even your ability to hunt in your home state as well.

DIY hunts in Alaska can be wonderful experiences but they do take planning and considerable effort as well.

From reading the AK Fish and Game it sounds like black bear and caribou could be done without a guide?

Any links to the specialized rules for hunting from a drop camp, etc.?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Black bear, moose, caribou and deer are all fine for DIY hunts.
After finding a good location and reliable transportation - the biggest problem DIY hunters seem to have is not bringing out all the meat that the law requires. This is especially important, and difficult, on moose as they are so big, and in many areas of the state the meat must still be attached to the bone.
Carrying a 140 pound moose quarter a few miles across swamp or dense alders is quite memorable.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caribou with the option to take a black bear is what I think would be ideal for our first trip to AK.

Any recommendations as to areas in the state I should be researching for hunting locations or companies that can fly us in/out?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich
Sent you a PM about the hunt we can offer.
We are licensed outfitters. Alaska Trohpy Hunts
We can offer you a 7 day caribou hunt
Drop camp all set up food and tents complete
Flight from our base camp to the caribou camp.
2 hunters required $3000 per hunter.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 13 caribou on DIY hunts; it isn't that hard. Get a guy in Kotz to fly you out, shoot the 'bou, and get picked up again. Not that hard.

I would definitely not do a moose the first time, and even then, you need to sure the moose is 50 inches or more.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Taking a Moose apart does get easier after you have done it once or twice. Tip #1, don't shoot it anyplace that's going to make the task all but impossible. That includes near water he can make it to.

Two good video's from ADF&G

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, check out my drop camp hunt I did for moose on the Selawik. I did a complete hunt report.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out my DIY caribou offer on the Outfitters offeredand Discounted Hunts forum.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Check out my DIY caribou offer on the Outfitters offeredand Discounted Hunts forum.

Mark

I think this is what I am going to do. I just need to run it past my hunting partner.

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Rich, I am planning to do the same thing. Contact me to share info. regards
emron

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote