New
Find
Notify
Tools

kodiak bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I drew a tag for db134 this Spring in Kodiak. I have a .340 Weatherby. Any suggestions as to bullet and weight to use to anchor a big brownie.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
275 grain Swift A-Frame.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
or 250 gr Partition Gold Moly Free

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
or 250 grn barnes X

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.northforkbullets.com/338-240.htm

this north fork is the best i.m.o. since you are pushing a 338 bullet verrrry fast and the impact velocity will be high you need a tough bullet that will hold together and retain weight...

the barnes x will lose its petals at that speed

next i would say the swift a frame and the nosler partition

but bullet placement is paramount!

post pictures!!!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would go with any of these.

The barnes TSX 250 or 225. or 225 mr-x
failsafe 230
nosler 250 partition
northfork 240
swift a frame 250 or 275

The mr-x are supposed to resist losing the petals but I don't care if they come off myself.

The mr-x and 250 tsx are new for 2006

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My preferences would be Northfork first and then Nosler Partition. I've found that Northforks are slightly more accurate in my rifles than the Partitions.
Since I've always had good results with these, I've never tried anything else so can't comment.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 250 NP is an awesome bullet in the 340 and it comes in a factory load if you don't reload.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
twilli, .338cal.s,- very good bullet don't matter what, weatherby included is the 250 grn. Partition. 2700-2800fps is alot of ummph with a SD of .313--in anyones book. Of course you can spend your dollars on any bullet you want but the partition says it all-I use em in both my .338's--cheers.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .340 Wby and a .338 Lapua. The .340 I took on a Moose hunt in Grizz country and at the time used a 250 grain Nosler Partition Gold that shot really well in my rifle. Since that trip I have shot many other bullets, one in particular stood out above all the rest. The North Fork 240 grain bullet would be my choice without a doubt, if I ever go back into Big Bear country with either of the mentioned chamberings. I have used the bullet on Elk and it shoots extremely well in both my rifles. If I were you I would at least give it an chance and see how it performs in your rifle and go from there. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't play w/ the bears unless your gun is big enough.I shoot the 375 ultra mag w/ 300 grain bullets.That is enough gun.But i had a freiend once say who owned a 460 weatherby that "he shot a 460 because they didnt make a 640".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slasher:
Don't play w/ the bears unless your gun is big enough.I shoot the 375 ultra mag w/ 300 grain bullets.That is enough gun.But i had a freiend once say who owned a 460 weatherby that "he shot a 460 because they didnt make a 640".

Your friend hasn't been in contact with robgunbuilder yet has he?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats on the the tag.

in factory ammo i use wthby factory ammo 250 gr. n.p. and would not use bullets lighter than 250 gr. for that hunt.

if you are handloading like b.i.f. said the northfork is good. use 300 gr. n.f. or n.p. either one kills critters dead quick. Wink

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
got my last one with a swift a frame. guide said he had seen 3 instances of nosler partitions not penetrating & "coming apart" his next preferance was trophy bonded/ chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
speaking from my own experience.

i found several slugs, nicely mushroomed that went all the way thru the b.b. shoulder and slugs were found up against the opposite side hide. which was like very thick, very strong wet elastic. broke both shoulders in several places.

when the day comes that i see one of my n.p. fragmented, that would likely be the day that i switch to a more modern designed bullet. till then i am batting 1000%.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cold zero, I have shot the 210 Part. in grizz and in moose and they do "fragmentate" I do not like that discript. though. I have yet to see the 250's breakdown on what I shoot. The .338 flies them 210 abit fast-the swifts would hold up better. I am anxious to try out the NORTH F's this spring with all the hubbub I read about.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to try some 250 grain northfork bullets and some 250 grain swift a-frame's. Superior Ammunition is going to load the bullets for me. Anyone ever use Superior Ammunition before? How did you like the quality of bullets?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
twilli ----- I load North Fork bullets for many of my rifles, in my opinion there is no better to shoot, and it normally shoots better than any other bullets in my rifles. I buy quite a bit of brass from Superior. They load the best factory loads you can buy. Now that they load the North Fork bullets you could not choose a better combo, if you don't reload yourself. wave thumb Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*** FIRST CHOICE - 300 Gr. ***

( IMHO ) , --- Having read some of Elmer Keith's developoment of the .333 OKH , -- which is the forerunner of Winnie's .338 Mag.
--- there are a few strong points for the 300 Gr. Bullet .

When Winchester developed the series , they did a lot of research ; -- and ORIGINALLY OFFERED A 300 GR. LOADING IN THE .338 . --- This was not without forethought and reason .

( I've said this so much , -- even I'm getting tired of hearing myself say it ) ; -- but the .338 is not normally a " Stopping " , -- D.G Round , and since Kodiak Is. is famous for a Large-Variety of Brown Bear , -- a prospective Hunter , must consider the Charge .

Anything in .338 Cal. is stretching it , in this sense , -- so I think it's reasonable to go with the heaviest ( Major-Manufactured ) bullets available .

Hawk Bullets makes a 300 Gr. , with a thick , .035 jacket , RN , -- that would be my choice .

Interestingly , Phil Shoemaker , ( vastly experienced Brown Guide ) , in my thread about , " Brown Bear Stopping " ; cites the 300 Gr. bullet in .338 among his favored Cartridges , effective on Large Bear .

Under any circumstances , for Jumbo Bears , you should have lots of penetration from any angle , into the vitals , -- and lots of heavy bone breaking potential .

With the velocity of the .340 , -- fragment shedding , and wt. loss , is anathema , and thicker jackets w/ engineered cores are best .

The massive Sectional density of the 300 , is legendary , -- it functions to keep a shot in-line within the carcass , even after hitting bone .

-- A friend of mine , who used to write for a leading Magazine , took a Caribou at two hundred yds. with the Win. Factory 300 Grainer .

-- He was an excellent shot , but was using iron sights for the shot , ( don't ask me why , -- long story ) ; -- and the front bead subtended the entire front of the animal .

The shot dropped to the right side , and the bullet broke , I believe , six ( 6 ) ribs , in line , without deflecting . He remarked , -- " . . . . now THAT'S sectional density " .

I believe that's what you need for Brown Bear , as well .

If you can't make reloads with the Hawk , -- next choice would be Swift's 275 Gr. A-Frame ; -- and if you want Factory , I'd say , go with Weatherby's heaviest .

----- Good Luck on Your Hunt ,
MMCOUGAR .

NRA Benefactor Member
---- 2nd Amend. -- They could have said , " The Right of Such a Militia " ; ----- But they didn't , they said " . . . . . The right of the PEOPLE " .

Posts: 138 | Location: Far Northwest -- North Rockies , - anytime I can . | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grizz007;

i have only used the 250 gr. n.p. out of my .340 w.m. and i have no experience with the 210 n.p..

Cold Zero