New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska tipping expectation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm running off to north of the Yukon for moose/griz next month. I'm comfortable tipping in the lower 48 and Africa, but have no experience in Alaska.
Will 10% leave everyone satisfied, assuming all goes well?

Posts: 57 | Location: Santa Rosa, California USA | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pat,

I think they would be very happy with 10%. I'd recommend around a $100 per day + or - dependent on how it all went.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oh God, not another tipping thread. Leave an amount based on the the level of service and what you can afford and what feels right. The base price of the hunt is irrelevant. These are not restaurant meals.

Why should the the Moose guide get 5 times the tip of the caribou guide?

I also don't tip the $45 a plate waiter 3x the $15 a plate waiter.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
As follow up, as soon as tipping becomes an expectation or an amount becomes an expectation - it all goes downhill.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I love Japan...

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Was talking with D'Arcy Echols this spring who was fortunate enough to be offered a chance to take a paid for cancelled bear hunt with Butch King.
He said Butch told him 15% was the EXPECTED tip. For a $30,000 Bear hunt !!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen tips amount suggested in some outfitters contracts.
One guide I know told his client when asked what s proper tip was, the guide responded with “pay till it hurts”. He was just messing around as every guide has been asked this question and it's about the most awkward question I ever get.
Tip if ya feel like it. It’s appreciated obviously but it’s not mandatory.
I also get asked about tips with gear, I don’t guide because I want lots of rangefinders. I guide to feed my family and pay my bills. Just gotta play it by ear, when I went to Africa I was finally in a position to be able to pay it forward in the tipping department, I had a blast tipping folks down there!
I took the train from Joburg to Durban for a long time. Restaurant car I tipped about 100% of my meal (like 1.50$) and when I came back to eat dinner that same waiter saw me coming and runndown the trainncsrmto open the door for me. Man it took care of me!! I tipped him 200% that time. Lol he probably quit his job and jumped off the train!! I even tipped a old lady mopping at the airport! Man it was awesome to see them light up with appreciation! I’d never been in a financial
Position to do that before. I enjoyed it a lot.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's not a tip if it's expected. Tipping is wholly discretionary and for service above and beyond the normal paid-for expected services. Totally up to the client who controls his own pocketbook-not the PH, guide, cook, wrangler, driver, skinner, tracker, etc, or anyone else. You want a tip? Then work hard to earn one, and even then don't expect it, and you will likely be pleasantly surprised, but don't tell anyone that it is expected. To me that's totally counterproductive with a client. I've only had one outfit tell me what was expected, and that was in Africa on one of my 15 Safaris. Because of that, which left a totally sour taste in my mouth, I tipped them much less than I would have had I not been told what was expected. And, there's a world of difference between what might be suggested(just that-suggested) and what is expected.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not a tip if it's expected

Then they should just charge a higher price and say no tip required.

At least that way one knows where you stand.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Having packed out both animals more than once I think I understand.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Cheers
Jim

Lol spoken like a man who has packed someone else’s moose!!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
quote:
quote:

Cheers
Jim

Just packed this Caribou Bull on the bone with Brett in one trip. If it was a Moose in the same location and distance from the nearest road I might have considered sticking my foot in a hole and breaking my own ankle to get out of that sufferfest. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
quote:
quote:

Cheers
Jim

BTW, taking my out of state nephew up the haul road for archery Moose in September. I've been telling him the distance to road rules for the last nine months. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Cabot Pitts had an expectation in his contract and I had no issues with it; simply added it to the price of the hunt and figured it was a package deal. If I had issues on my hunt maybe I would have balked, but I didn't so I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Jake: I like your comment about tipping in Africa...I certainly get a kick out of tipping the trackers generously - man, they are so happy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
As follow up, as soon as tipping becomes an expectation or an amount becomes an expectation - it all goes downhill.

Precisely!

I follow a simple rule.

Do your job as I expect you to, and never let me feel you have an open palm expecting a tip, or mention it in passing, and I will tip what Intnink is relevant - in most cases more than generally accepted.

Drag your feet, things do not get done, non stop complaining about other clients who did not tip, and you get one big fat ZERO from me, and never expect to see me again.

Nothing turns off more than an operation with a suggested tip list!

I love it when I ask whoever in charge of an operation about tips, and get “that is entirely up to you if you feel you would like to show your appreciation for a job well done from the staff. And I certainly hope you have no complaints at all, as I would love to hear your feed back. We appreciate you choosing us to serve you”

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My opinions on tipping match Saeed's

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Precisely!

I follow a simple rule.

Do your job as I expect you to, and never let me feel you have an open palm expecting a tip, or mention it in passing, and I will tip what Intnink is relevant - in most cases more than generally accepted.

Drag your feet, things do not get done, non stop complaining about other clients who did not tip, and you get one big fat ZERO from me, and never expect to see me again.

Nothing turns off more than an operation with a suggested tip list!

I love it when I ask whoever in charge of an operation about tips, and get “that is entirely up to you if you feel you would like to show your appreciation for a job well done from the staff. And I certainly hope you have no complaints at all, as I would love to hear your feed back. We appreciate you choosing us to serve you”

Saeed hit this one spot on! A rare feat for him Big Grin

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Saeed.

If tipping is communicated to me as an 'expectation,' they presumptively don't get one, unless the service, food, quarters, etc., and of course the animal, are ALL exceptional.

Mediocre results in any or all of these areas results in no tip, along with a negative review on public forums after the hunt.

On the other hand, if the subject of tipping is not embedded in the contract nor ever mentioned, and if their service during the hunt and the animal I harvest pleases me, I'll tip generously, and likely more than they would've anticipated. And post-hunt reviews will be positive.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These tipping threads always make me laugh, you wish to leave a tip do so choose not to tip that is your choice.
I can certainly afford a tip an do so to someone working for the outfitter but rarely if ever to the outfitter. If he is dependent of my tip to make ends meet he is in the red already.
I state this as someone whom guided brown bear and moose hunters for several years myself.
How much or if you tip at all is YOUR option an I would never book a hunt anywhere with anyone that told me what "is expected". No one ever got up from my OR table and flipped me a couple thousand dollars for a new smile.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Yup

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
These tipping threads always make me laugh, you wish to leave a tip do so choose not to tip that is your choice.
I can certainly afford a tip an do so to someone working for the outfitter but rarely if ever to the outfitter. If he is dependent of my tip to make ends meet he is in the red already.
I state this as someone whom guided brown bear and moose hunters for several years myself.
How much or if you tip at all is YOUR option an I would never book a hunt anywhere with anyone that told me what "is expected". No one ever got up from my OR table and flipped me a couple thousand dollars for a new smile.

Not tipping a guide these days seems to be an open invitation to being bad-mouthed by them to other clients. Obviously not all do it, but I think it is quite common from my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not tipping a guide these days seems to be an open invitation to being bad-mouthed by them to other clients.

Sad commentary on any outfitters or guides who have to stoop to that level. To me that would be a open invitation to never book with them. Must have been a reason why they weren't tipped. Sounds to me as close to an expected tip, no matter what the level of service provided, as you can get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:

Not tipping a guide these days seems to be an open invitation to being bad-mouthed by them to other clients. Obviously not all do it, but I think it is quite common from my experience.

Like I mentioned in my post I too was a guide for 7 years....do you really think whether the client tips or not is the deciding factor of whom gets talked about once the float plane leaves the dock???
The over weight, poor marksman whom would not help with camp chores an griped about the food or horses, etc. FAR OUT WEIGHS THE POOR TIPPER!!!

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2 My guide on my grizzly hunt in late June could not believe that I jumped right in to help him skin and cape the bear. He said many hunters just stand around and never offer to help, expecting the guide to do it all. And, after he received a tip from me at the end of the hunt, he called me a few days later after I had left to thank me for a tip that he called "extremely generous". I'd hunt with him again in a heartbeat. But the best part of the hunt, he said, was sharing life experiences that actually made us friends, rather than just another guide/client interaction.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like the tip guidelines for Africa since there are so many different levels.

My friend and PH in Africa said the best tip that a client can give him is to shoot straight and not muss nor wound any animals. I do that and tip well.

I look at effort, not price of a hunt.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, I got it.
Now the more important stuff. Two rifles, a Kimber .338 win mag, using 225 accubonds. This barrel is finicky and likes them.
The second is a ruger no 1 in 450/400. I'm using 360 Northforks, (.411) with 84.0 grains R-15 for 2,494 feet. Feels good and shoots very well. Tried 80 grains to 86. Recoil at 86 told me it wasn't as friendly as I wanted. Nothing more than a guess, using 404 Jeffery load data from Pierra van der Walts book. A gentleman at the range with a very cool Labradar Doppler chronograph checked a couple rounds. I wanted 2,500 feet and got lucky.
The menu is moose and grizzly, up the Melozitna river north of the Yukon.

Posts: 57 | Location: Santa Rosa, California USA | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
Not tipping a guide these days seems to be an open invitation to being bad-mouthed by them to other clients.

Sad commentary on any outfitters or guides who have to stoop to that level. To me that would be a open invitation to never book with them. Must have been a reason why they weren't tipped. Sounds to me as close to an expected tip, no matter what the level of service provided, as you can get.

It just seems obvious to me that if a guide is grousing about a previous client to the current one, the grousing will continue in the future and therefore make the current client uncomfortable.
Not just poor manners but also self defeating.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen Scott, amen! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Patrick
I would be using the 338 that's plenty of firepower for any size moose.
I have harvested one with a 338 and two with a 300 wby 180 grain.
Good luck shoot straight and don't take your eyes off the target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Stoll:
Thanks to all, I got it.
Now the more important stuff. Two rifles, a Kimber .338 win mag, using 225 accubonds. This barrel is finicky and likes them.
The second is a ruger no 1 in 450/400. I'm using 360 Northforks, (.411) with 84.0 grains R-15 for 2,494 feet. Feels good and shoots very well. Tried 80 grains to 86. Recoil at 86 told me it wasn't as friendly as I wanted. Nothing more than a guess, using 404 Jeffery load data from Pierra van der Walts book. A gentleman at the range with a very cool Labradar Doppler chronograph checked a couple rounds. I wanted 2,500 feet and got lucky.
The menu is moose and grizzly, up the Melozitna river north of the Yukon.

your .338WM will be just fine for both!! Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two bucks to the pilot, two bucks to the guide (if successful), and 50 cents to everyone else.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Two bucks to the pilot, two bucks to the guide (if successful), and 50 cents to everyone else.

Wow! So generous. Roll Eyes

Bet that makes you real popular up there. Whistling

All The Best ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:

Probably more popular than a texan in camp, bragging up as only Texans can Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Probably more popular than a texan in camp, bragging up as only Texans can Big Grin

Dude, with a 10mm Glock 40 snuggled into a Diamond-D center-chest holster as you stroll through Moose Camp, the locals know you mean business. Ain't no braggin' required. Wink

Well, that and a pair of 'Texas-size' 12s.

Throw a few steely-eyed west Texas glances here and there, and right away everybody is 'Sir'-ing you without the need for chit-chat. tu2

All The Best ...

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOB6rG6ROQ

one of us
posted Hide Post
A.J.

I must say you paint quite the picture of yourself. As for your comments on tipping I almost completely agree with you except the business about exceptional trophies. The guide an crew can try as hard as humanly possible in the best area and you might still get skunked. You should base your tip on about anything except the size of the trophy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
And post-hunt reviews will be positive.

Can you post a link to one of your post hunt reviews?

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dude, with a 10mm Glock 40 snuggled into a Diamond-D center-chest holster as you stroll through Moose Camp, the locals know you mean business. Ain't no braggin' required. Wink

Well, that and a pair of 'Texas-size' 12s.

Throw a few steely-eyed west Texas glances here and there, and right away everybody is 'Sir'-ing you without the need for chit-chat. tu2

Dude, gotta be straight with you.
If you're u tried pulling any of that kinda stunt in my camp I'd be dropping you back off at the airport for your trip home/ away from me ASAP.
Your tip and your money with any of that theatrics is not appreciated.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott with tongue in cheek I reply," and you would be hearing from my lawyer for breach of YOUR contract"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've always figured my boyish good looks and witty intellect bring enough to the table that monetary tips aren't needed or even desired.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote