Tools

Alaska tipping expectation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Scott with tongue in cheek I reply," and you would be hearing from my lawyer for breach of YOUR contract"

Big Grin

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
* * * As for your comments on tipping I almost completely agree with you except the business about exceptional trophies. The guide an crew can try as hard as humanly possible in the best area and you might still get skunked. You should base your tip on about anything except the size of the trophy.

Mark, you make a fair point.

Even the whiniest guide can't be responsible for what size critter may or may not pop out of the AK bush during the hunt, although I wasn't insisting on an 'exceptional' Grizz or Moose necessarily being a B&C record-setter.

Just an 'above-average' specimen would normally be fine, but a mediocre animal, taken after several days of putting up with some idjit guide's whine-fest, is an aggravating factor, not just a disappointment.

Just add a sub-par animal to Saeed's list above:

quote:
Drag your feet, things do not get done, non-stop complaining about other clients who did not tip, and you get one big fat ZERO from me, and never expect to see me again. Nothing turns off more than an operation with a suggested tip list!

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I sometimes ask for references on potiental clients....

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Just consider the source. AJ has a long history of posting obnoxious crap....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
* * * As for your comments on tipping I almost completely agree with you except the business about exceptional trophies. The guide an crew can try as hard as humanly possible in the best area and you might still get skunked. You should base your tip on about anything except the size of the trophy.

Mark, you make a fair point.

Even the whiniest guide can't be responsible for what size critter may or may not pop out of the AK bush during the hunt, although I wasn't insisting on an 'exceptional' Grizz or Moose necessarily being a B&C record-setter.

Just an 'above-average' specimen would normally be fine, but a mediocre animal, taken after several days of putting up with some idjit guide's whine-fest, is an aggravating factor, not just a disappointment.

Just add a sub-par animal to Saeed's list above:

quote:
Drag your feet, things do not get done, non-stop complaining about other clients who did not tip, and you get one big fat ZERO from me, and never expect to see me again. Nothing turns off more than an operation with a suggested tip list!

Guides show Hunters the animals and the Hunter makes the decision on whether to shoot it or not.

I had a client years ago who was hunting grizzly bears in the Brooks range. A rather small grizzly appeared and the hunter insisted on shooting it even after I told him it was small, but it was legal I agreed. After he shot it and we walked up to it he asked how big it was. As it was barely a six foot bear I told him it was smaller than average and he asked how two above average hunters could kill a less than average animal ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the restaurant business it is common not to tip the owner if they are the one waiting on you.

I been told this by more then on waitress.

Does that hold true in the guiding business.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As it was barely a six foot bear I told him it was smaller than average and he asked how two above average hunters could kill a less than average animal ?

I take it.

It was not a Friday animal.

One taken on or the close to the last day because one did not eat ones tag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
In the restaurant business it is common not to tip the owner if they are the one waiting on you.

I’m Pretty sure a guy can tip whoever he wants. Or not tip whoever he wants. Excluding someone would fall back into the expectations category. I’m the owner and the only guide/employee the clients hunt with. Sometimes guys don’t tip and sometimes they do. This thread is a bit beyond common sense.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jake,

Read some of the other tipping threads if you think this one is silly. Tip if you want and don't tip if you don't want to. It's that simple but own it either way.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

That may be true about tipping in the restaurant business, but that sort of tipping isn't even in the same universe as when I'm dropping $20K (or whatever amount) on a fishing & hunting trip in Alaska.

For that outlay of money, I'll be expecting a very high level of service from the guide & his crew, ... and any whine that comes with it better be served up with some good cheese too. Roll Eyes

Look, if you don't like the fact that sometimes clients don't tip as well as you were 'expecting,' or don't tip at all, then get you ass of out the guiding industry and get a job on an oil rig.

Just do the job you were contracted to do, do it professionally, and the issue of tipping will take care of itself.

Sermon over.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy that oil rig pays a lot better than guiding too!! Don’t even need the tips! Lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Boy that oil rig pays a lot better than guiding too!! Don’t even need the tips! Lol

The grub on those slope sites is likely a lot better than any experienced on an Alaska Hunt as well. I've filled in up there at multiple sites and I see why many a worker increases in girth over time. Not to mention there was over three hundred workers at one of the sites that had a workout facility with indoor basketball court, volleyball court, endless weight room and machines with the same twelve of us working out there every evening.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I eat good on my base camp hunts. Better than slope food, not as greasy anyway! I got up to 230lb working the slope, but I was in love with that weight room!! Hard core village basketball three nights a week was a riot too!
Never did get a tip though.....until I got over on the BP side. Haha then they gave out “safety bucks”. Crap just cash for someone seeing me do my job safe. Kinda like a tip I guess...

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Why are some jobs associated with expected tips and some aren’t? What’s the cutoff?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Just curious. Why are some jobs associated with expected tips and some aren’t? What’s the cutoff?

I have always wondered that myself.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, make that two of us.

Tipping does not bother me except when it becomes a God given right. I generally tip pretty large amounts even when unsuccessful if I think the effort was made.

I am a bit bothered by the number of people that I am supposed to tip in Africa. On a recent trip, I think there was over 20 some of which I had no idea who they were.

We once stayed at a guest house. This was the only time I did not leave a tip. These people were lazy as hell. They had that entitled mentality. The cook in particular was really awful. He was not giving us enough to eat . It was so bad that I had the PH take us to a local restaurant. To make it worse, they were all a bunch of militant gays who made everything about them being gay.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I was at a very high end camp in the Okavango for just three days to shoot a red lechwe. On day 3 I was presented with a printed list of 23 names and I was supposed to write down a tip amount after each person's name. I said fuck you, gave the PH a smaller than normal amount and told him to figure it out. I'm very much pro tipping but that was ridiculous.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've been to camps in Africa where I have never met or seen certain individuals the entire hunt, except when the last morning rolled around and they were part of the long line 'to see me off' and receive their tip. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
* * * I was at a very high end camp in the Okavango for just three days to shoot a red lechwe. On day 3 I was presented with a printed list of 23 names and I was supposed to write down a tip amount after each person's name. I said fuck you, gave the PH a smaller than normal amount and told him to figure it out. I'm very much pro tipping but that was ridiculous

No shit. Glad to see you didn't 'take a knee,' and cough up undeserved hard cash. tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A.J.

The issue was not with a crew as they were good but the way the safari company handled the tipping.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
* * * I was at a very high end camp in the Okavango for just three days to shoot a red lechwe. On day 3 I was presented with a printed list of 23 names and I was supposed to write down a tip amount after each person's name. I said fuck you, gave the PH a smaller than normal amount and told him to figure it out. I'm very much pro tipping but that was ridiculous

No shit. Glad to see you didn't 'take a knee,' and cough up undeserved hard cash. tu2

How come you took down the rest of your post with the size 12 pointy cowboy boot and your fake Texas bluster. Reread it and realized that even for you that was too high on the dickhood scale.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last guided hunt

I tipped the cook, the guide, the wrangler.

They all did a very good job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As is normal if you had a good hunt. Good for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the hell is TEXASS size 12's?

IF you're talking boot size that's barely half grown!
I was 21 before I ever got to Texass and I was already in 13's, still a skinny assed kid too.

One thing I've learned about texan's, you sure as hell don't need to ask them where they're from! The biggest part of texas is the BUllSHiT! AJ is prime proof of that by his posts.
I have a bunch of good friends in and from Texas, never seen or heard any of them blow smoke like the guy does.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
What the hell is TEXASS size 12's?

IF you're talking boot size that's barely half grown!
I was 21 before I ever got to Texass and I was already in 13's, still a skinny assed kid too.

One thing I've learned about texan's, you sure as hell don't need to ask them where they're from! The biggest part of texas is the BUllSHiT! AJ is prime proof of that by his posts.
I have a bunch of good friends in and from Texas, never seen or heard any of them blow smoke like the guy does.

George

Back in the last 70s and 80s when I skied in Colorado during break from college I could always point out the Texans: they were the ones that couldn't ski.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote