THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Has anyone hunted with VERN HUMBLES Rainy Pass Lodge

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone hunted with VERN HUMBLES Rainy Pass Lodge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
May get up there this Oct for Grizz...any one have anything to say,hopeully good? Thanks!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that Vern had sold all of his interest in the Rainy Pass Lodge to the Perrins, but maybe I heard wrong.

I think Mr. Humble is trying to get BLM authorization to hunt in Unit 6 for brown bear, in addition to the other places he has.

If Humble has sold his interest in the lodge, I would want clarification that any hunt booked would be with him and not the "Rainy Pass Lodge" outfit, unless you are comfortable with the new owners. They might be great, I don't know, but the bill of sale should reflect the service intended...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't book any hunts with Vern Humble at his Icy Bay location. We left after three days of a ten day hunt with him.

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I hunted Rainy Pass Lodge a couple of times 20 years or so ago. Got a dall sheep and caribou each time, but didn't see any griz. Vern had it then, and ran a good outfit.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We booked a hunt with Humble for brown Bear and mountain goat through an agent. There one person hunting and his wife and I fishing. We were told by the booking agent that we would be staying and eating at a lodge and that the area was an indian reservation that had not been hunted in years. We flew from Yakutat to camp on August 29. Camp was several trailers that Humble had taken over two days before our arrival from a logging company. There was no water to flush the toilets and Humble did the cooking if you call opening cans cooking. The first day there was no guide for the hunter as the guide was busy working on the camp. The three of us spent the day fishing. The second day the hunter and guide went for goat and returned after two hours climb as the mountain was impossible. Everyone I spoke to in Yakutat after we returned told us that mountain goat was impossible due to the terrain in that area and the fact that they would be too high to reach at this time of year. Another hunter in camp was guided for two days for goat by an ex army ranger and also was not able to climb anywhere near the goats. So the goat hunting was a farce. The second day we did not have a fishing guide and the hunters wife and I fished alone.
The afternoon of the second day we decided that this was was complete bull and told Humble we wanted to return to Yakutat. Humble returned part of our money with a lot of arm twisting and called for an plane to pick us up.

The sad part of this is that the hunter and his wife are from Spain and this was their first trip to Alaska. Full of illusions to shoot a bear and goat. They spent a lot of time and money to get to Alaska to be taken by this person. I am trying to get more of their money back but to this point Humble is playing dead. But it is only money and cannot remove the disappointment of not having a real opportunity.

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote