THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Focus on Dall but is it possible to add Grizzley?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Focus on Dall but is it possible to add Grizzley?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
I've been picked by my group of 2 others to do the research for a hunt to AK on CAN.

We would like to focus on Dall and add a Grizzly. Is this possible?

Are the two usually in the same area?

Would it be difficult with 3 hunters going into the same area or do they need to hunt different drainages?

I see some outfitters advertise Black bear with Dall. Is that because their are no Grizzly in there area?

How much time should we plan on not just hunting but traveling from Utah and California?

What is the low, average, high cost for such a hunt?

Of course tips on when, where, who to hunt with are appreciated!

I realize Dall hunts start in Aug and some carry over into Sept; when does Grizzly open up?

Is their an advantage to hunting early, mid, late in a Dall season?

Which units are easier to hunt, physically?

Which units are harder to hunt, physically?

Which units care larger quanties of Dall vs which quality horn curl?

If a hunt is made for Dall and a Grizzly becomes a target of opportunity do many/most guides tack on a "trophy" fee?

If the Grizzly typically inhabit an area a "distance" from the Dall area would you think their is a surcharge to move the hunters to that area?

How soon should be book the hunt before the good dates are blocked out?

I remember back in 1980-81 when I was stationed at Ft Greeley with the Army, I could look to my south and glass the "white" dots against the local mountains with my spotting scope. I've always wanted a Dall since then. With that in mind and hitting my 49th next week, I'm not getting younger and neighter are the other guys.

I'm sure I can think of more to ask.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get ahold of Kirk Ellis @ K-air. Unfortunately I lost his contact info but I'm sure folks on here know the Ellis's and have there info. The family is well known in the copper river/wrangells area of the state.

Tell him what you guys are looking for and I'm sure he can help you out. He does most of his hunts with horseback, His wife is a hell of a cook, and everybody out there likes to have fun. Good prices as well.

I used him one year for a drop off sheep hunt and I was really impressed. Back at his place I talked to some of his guided clients and they were even more impressed than me. Hes very ethical, if for some ungodly reason you didnt see a ram, he would send you home empty (meaning no tip, maybe a bad review, etc) than shoot a sub legal ram.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gssp;

another thing to consider is that next year most or all ak. will be drawing permit for sheep.

not just a question of having the time and money to go anymore, now you have to be lucky enough to draw a permit....

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Grizzly and Dall are good combinations in the Brooks Range, the Alaska Range, and several places in the Yukon and Northwest Territiry. I would get with an experienced Hunting consultant like Wendell at Hunters Quest International. If three guys were after different game--moose, caribou, grizzly, Dall--you could hunt the same camp; if you each wanted multiple animals, it would probably make for better friendships if you hunted different areas.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
gssp;

another thing to consider is that next year most or all ak. will be drawing permit for sheep.
not just a question of having the time and money to go anymore, now you have to be lucky enough to draw a permit....
Not true, the Brooks range is not going to drawing and neither are the Wrangells. Unit 13 and portions of the Talkeetnas are going to drawing.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the NWT is out for your hunt. Grizz are off limits to non-residents. Yukon would be good to go for the grizz if you choose Canada over Alaska.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as when to book, I would think it would be very hard to get anything for '08 right now, with several slots already filled in '09 and '10. There will of course be exceptions to this, but most folks with a good reputation have beeled '08 hunts some time back.

Call these folks with your wants and see what they can do for you and your friends:

Akaska Hunting Adventures

PM me if you want a reference or details for them

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP,
You have a lot of work ahead of you. An average Dall Sheep Hunt is at $10K with a Mt.grizzly kicker on a trophy fee is $5K-$7K. Not much overlap on the two but some here have given you some leads. Good guides are booked 3 or more years out. With Unit 13 and some of Talkeetna going to a draw, this will throw the Dall Sheep hunt situation in AK into turmoil. The residents in AK. politicked to greatly curtail the non-resident "invasion" that wanted to shoot "their sheep". They "got it" and more than they bargained for. But it still can be done with a lot of money and patience.
I'd much rather do that than give any Canadians my money. But to each his own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M77 Dont lump all residents into your assumptions. Maybe some folks should look at the guiding industry (just an assumtion). No one voted in the board of game so we honestly dont have a say in what they do. all we can do is suggest.

If things dont look good for non-res hunters or it doesnt go your way, dont blame all alaskans.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel, he is trying to sound "educated" but his ignorance and bigotry is showing so he failed BOOM

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my esteemed AK. friends:
My post didn't use the word "all". However I have yet to read or talk to any resident who was happy with the Boards' handling of the sheep issue. Your "suggestions" wanted to curtail the non-resident participation in sheep season. The Board elected to limit EVERYONE with a draw. I am sure the draw will spread.
Bigotry? Hardly. I consider Unit 13 a new version of the TOK.
Finally, I believe the Board would have not gone to a draw if there wasn't a "push" from the residents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy we are getting way off topic here but there you go thinking again M77.

What does a draw in unit 13 for sheep have to do with TMA? TMA has been a draw (yes, even for residents) for a while. Can you figure out why?
Maybe, and I might just be throwing this out of the top of my head, that the numbers maybe low in 13. If the numbers do drop to a certain point, guess what, residents do get first shot at it. Become a resident, write your congressman, I dont care.

As for the BOG, I feel they dont give a rats ass about residentsand non-res either. Look at the bullshit they started with an income restriction on the nelchina hunt. Now all I will say is the guiding industry does have a strong voice up here. Guides wont admit it though...hmmm.

I for one could care less about non-res hunters. I do not feel threatened at all. hell, I help quite a few out.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
GSSP,
Expect to pay between 10,000-12,500 for the sheep and i am certain you can get grizzly thrown in for about 4,000-5,000.
However, with there being three hunters you should damn well get a break on price.

If you need any names let me know, i would be happy to suggest a couple guys i know will treat you right, all three of you.

For the rest of you, start another topic to talk about that other shit.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
o,ya, i know guides that can probably fit you in this year or certainly next.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GT-

I was just curipus why you felt the 2 hunters should get a discount? Not trying to start anything, just was curious why you felt that way.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc

With each of the 3 hunters hunting different areas 1x1 I see no reason to discount the hunt either.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
[Not true, the Brooks range is not going to drawing and neither are the Wrangells. Unit 13 and portions of the Talkeetnas are going to drawing.

M70 nut;
Thanks for the clarification. I still would not do a combo sheep grizzly.

combo hunts in general, are a bad idea m.h.o..

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Combo hunts will work given you have enough time to pursue them, but most combo's happen as incidentals.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M774now:
I'd much rather do that than give any Canadians my money.

Welcome to the forum.

Frans (from Canada)

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSSP,

Send me a PM if you'd like to talk more about specifics. In general, as stated above, a quality sheep hunt in AK will run 10-14K, including air charters, etc. Canada is usually 10-20% more expensive, but doesn't book up as fast.
Three sheep hunters will be a lot for most outfits to handle at one time. You can get bookings for 1-2 hunters easily for next year, but sheep hunts are not group affairs. It is really a 1x1 hunt, and even if you use the same base camp, you should be separating to look for rams each day. No one wants to climb the mountains day after day as the spectator. It is just not that type of hunt.
Good guides are always hard to find. I've used Atcheson's to book a few sheep hunts, with mixed success. (Really Great, average, and truly horrible). It really depends so much on the individual guide. Many of the very best guides are solo outfits, or extremely small operators (one other guide), which really limits your opportunity for three hunters. Most of the Canadian guides are better equipped to handle this size of party, as their licensing structure (sole guide areas) is more conducive to large operations.
Grizzly's are often encountered on sheep hunts, but by no means a sure thing. They do tend to appear only when you are already stalking a good ram, or so it seems. Trophy fees on Grizzly can range from 4-8K pretty easy.

Good Luck.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd check with Jack Atcheson who probably has more experience as a booking agent, especially for sheep, than anyone I'm aware of .... a google search will bring up his web[site.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I'd check with Jack Atcheson who probably has more experience as a booking agent, especially for sheep, than anyone I'm aware of .... a google search will bring up his web[site.

Atcheson's website:

www.atcheson.com

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a cancellation notice from Atchesons for a 2007 cancellation hunt with Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters. Dall sheep for $8500 with grizzly for $3000 more. Sounds like a good deal if you can move on short notice.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
SAFARI OUTFITTERS
The oldest booking agency in the world. (just for the record)

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
LJS,

Already on it! Tried to run it past my wife last night but she was too tired to really deal with it. Hope I can have a heart to heart w/ her this evening w/o the kids interupting too much.

Does anyone know anything about Terry Overly and Pioneer Outfitters?

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cjworldtrek
posted Hide Post
Big Al,

Terry runs his hunts in an exlusive use are from Chisana. His area borders the Wrangell/St. Elias Natl. Park (no hunting in the park) and produces rams in the 35-37" class. There will be the odd ram taken that will push the 40" mark. I spoke to him last week and he has a few remaining openings that he is reducing the price on for this year, but you would have to move quickly, as they will likely fill fast.

If you would like to discuss this further, please let me know and I will be glad to give you details. (307) 587-5596 or e-mail: clark@safari1.com

Best,
Clark Jeffs
Safari Outfitters, Inc.
quote:
Serving Sportsmen Since 1952

Posts: 95 | Location: The World from Cody, WY | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote