New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron Spomer & Phil Shoemaker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just watched a great video podcast of Ron Spomer interviewing Phil Shoemaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANI6U-SL4o

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ron has been a friend and chukar hunting buddy for 30 years.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, you did an excellent job and I really enjoyed your insight on bear hunting and recommendations.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched it and thought it was very entertaining. Phil came across well.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Buffalo Bore 9mm 147 grain +P Outdoorsman load is advertised at 1,100 fps, not 1,300.

But that is pretty good bullet weight and velocity and plenty good enough for a big bear, by Phil's interesting and well-told account at any rate.

Really well-told.

Enjoyed it very much.

Put the bullet in the right place and make two holes is the right way to think about it, if you ask me, which, of course, no one has done. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
First rate, Phil. Still have my pre-war Model 71
in 450 Alaskan-but I have to hit what I aim at...

Best to your family.

Ridge Marriott

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
The Buffalo Bore 9mm 147 grain +P Outdoorsman load is advertised at 1,100 fps, not 1,300.

But that is pretty good bullet weight and velocity and plenty good enough for a big bear, by Phil's interesting and well-told account at any rate.

Really well-told.

Enjoyed it very much.

Put the bullet in the right place and make two holes is the right way to think about it, if you ask me, which, of course, no one has done. Big Grin

I stand corrected, I had a box of BB 357 ammo sitting with my 9mm ammo and read the wrong box

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and informative. Thanks for for posting that.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent podcast. Spomer seemed a bit unprepared in his questions. Mr. Shoemaker is the real deal and has been since 1980!
Phil’s incites were excellent and well worth listening to!

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron seemed a bit unprepared.

In the whole you tube series on bears.

He cited data from decades ago.

Some one mentioned Todd Orr attack.

Ron stated he didn't know any thing about.

Ron said he had done research it is very obvious that any "research" He did was years ago.

Some one mention the Belle Twin bear shooting.

One of the most famous bear killings out there.

He knew nothing about it.

Some mentioned Mark Uptain bear attack and killing he knew nothing about it.

Some one mentioned the two hikers killed in BC. He knew nothing about that.

Some one mentioned the 98% percent handgun effectiveness. He knew nothing about that.

If was obvious that he hasn't kept up on bear attacks.

A few clicks of a mouse would have informed him of all of those.

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Phil, you did an excellent job and I really enjoyed your insight on bear hunting and recommendations.

Totally agree. Phil is it unusual to shoot a bear that close multiple times without him charging you?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
Phil said the bear came in close before they could see it. Phil said he looked around and the bear was standing on two female clients, shaking his head and looking around. Phil said he pick his shots to hit the shoulder and penetrat the lungs. He said he fired seven rounds. The bear move off the women, walked 10-20 feet and dropped.

Listen to the podcast, that part is riveting…

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

Totally agree. Phil is it unusual to shoot a bear that close multiple times without him charging you?

The bear WAS charging us as it had ran away, circled downwind in order to identify us and then was charging through the dense brush and grass. However it popped out by the clients, who were 5 yards behind me and they dropped to the ground.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Sorry Phil wasn't meaning to critize at all I listened to the podcast and obviously missed something. I believe you said it was standing on your client and you shot it behind the shoulder several times. If you recall when the story first came out and all of the people were saying "A 9mm wtf?" I said I'd feel safer with a 9mm in your hands then a 375 H&H in mine.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4730 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I watched the podcast last night. Very insightful. Told the wife after we get settled in our new home she should check into booking a moose hunt with your daughter. She loved that idea.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That was an excellent podcast. Glad I watched it. If Phil has a flaw, it would be an unusually abundant blessing of common sense. Wink

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
That was an excellent podcast. Glad I watched it. If Phil has a flaw, it would be an unusually abundant blessing of common sense. Wink

Rare these days...He was enjoyable to watch and very real as well as humble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive known Phil for a number of years and he is a down to earth guy and if he told me the sun wasn't coming out tomorrow Id bring a lantern to work. they just don't come any better than Phil..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Lots of great information and an enjoyable video.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent interview. Really entertaining. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

The bear WAS charging us as it had ran away, circled downwind in order to identify us and then was charging through the dense brush and grass. However it popped out by the clients, who were 5 yards behind me and they dropped to the ground.

Two things. My wife picked out her personal pistol in the 2000s - a very cool S&W 9mm. The S&W 3913. A descendant of the gun you used, a single stack 9mm. She doesn't shoot it often, but she has great taste in guns and being a WWII USMC daughter, is a great shot.

In the Spomer video Phil, you mentioned your client was a Cornell professor? I graduated in the 80s and used to ride my bicycle past the old Ithaca factory on "Ithaca Gun Hill Road". Can you send me a message as to who the professor was? Nice to hear a Cornell prof gets to fish in Alaska. I have several classmates who will be interested to hear this.

Great interview - thanks for sharing.

Dave

Posts: 918 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a very cool S&W 9mm. The S&W 3913

A friend gave me a 3913 Ladysmith that he sent to smiths custom shop.

It has one of the sweetest double action of any double action semi-auto I have shot

Posts: 19370 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote