New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who uses a M700 in .375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the exact same rifle (Rem 700 S/S, .375 H&H) on several trips into the Alakan bush, float trips etc. Its accounted for brown bear, moose, and caribou.
It goes bang every time I want it to, and always ejects and feeds.
Further, its light and, as it gets rained on and kicked around, or if I drop it into the river, it won't bother me as much as loosing my custom rifle.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 LH 700 in 375H&H from there custom shop. I have owned it since 1989 I think. I didnt realize it was supposed to jam because it never has.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 problems:

extractor breaks
bolt handle falls off
accidental discharges occur due to lousy trigger design

Even if the extractor does not break, it only grips an itty bitty portion of the case rim, which is not the best design for getting the case out in case of a problem.

However, at the shooting range Rems usually work great and they are accurate.

I sold all my Rems except one a few years ago and now only buy CRF (except semi-auto or my cooper single shot). It feels great - kind of like moving out of a slum and into a nice neighborhood.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grains,

I have shot or professionally employed at least 30 M700's in my time spent, both with the Military, and as a Police Sniper in Florida.

Obviously, these M700 rifles were mostly employed to kill people who were/are either:

A. In the process of executing a serious crime.

B. Overtly trying to kill as many Americans, and our allies, as they possibly can.

Most recently in Baghdad, Mosul, Terhymiah, and other "unnamed" glamorous Middle Eastern places. Unfortunately, if given the opportunity, these targets routinely "do" shoot back at you.

Given my limited experience with the M700, since 1971 to be exact, no other weapon will be used by me, especially if I'm thrown into a survival situation... i.e. dangerous game confrontations a field.

I am glad that Remington finally chambered a larger "off the shelf" rifle, in the awesome .375 RUM. Ballisticly, it is a superior chambering, and easily best ballisticly many of the larger calibers represented here.

And I don't care if Remington ever sells another one. I've got mine and it’s the best!

As a matter of fact, it will be used to body slam a large bear next season. That I am quite sure of! I'll be sure and post the hunt details on here once it happens.

The M700 chambered to shoot the .375 H&H or in whatever cartridge... will get it done if employed in the right manner.

Like wise any gun made can and often does... fail... especially in the hands of the wrong person.

By the way 500 grains, I’ve never had it happen to me, nor have I ever seen it happen, or for that matter, even heard any of my friends or close associates mention the failures you described above.

Unfortunately, I have heard of guys improperly adjusting their "factory" set triggers, and then experiencing "bolt closing... simultaneous round firings". The key is though, "improperly adjusted trigger sear engagement".

JMHO

Charles

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ceg1963--good post, and thanks for your work for our country!

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
ceg 1963. I posted here regarding the original subject so I won't repeat it here ( you can of course scroll back and read what I've posted if you care to), but long threads like these tend to digress from the original intent,

First, what 500grains posted is entirely accurate. The Remington safety issue is the subject of myriad litigations as is the brazed on bolt handle issues and weak extractor,

I just wanted to comment on your observations and experiences and while commendable, they have little if anything to do with hunting dangerous game at close range. Although I am an naval aviator by profession, I started my military career in the enlisted ranks of Corps and as such do have a modicum of experience with the scout-sniper profession. More so, my best friend is a retired LTCOL of Marines, a scout sniper and a big game hunter himself and we've talked about this very subject many times.

Trying to stop a charging bear or Cape Buffalo, lion, etc is a totally different proposition than what a sniper has to deal with. In that regard, the the 700 action is not the best tool at hand, no more so than say a standard issue say M-4 is to engage a SPECIFIC target at 600 meters. I just invite you to read what I've posted previously and see if what I say makes sense. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Buy and use whatever "technology" "read name brand" that makes you feel comfortable.

I'll take a Remington.

After hunting in Africa, I don't give a damn what any African guide thinks about anything! Besides, I'm sure, he'll get his money from the guys "like you" who truely really need his help and opinion.

Hell, the next time I'm in Africa, I'd be glad to jump a Cape Buff with only a bow. That is, if I could afford the extra $5,000.00 trophy fee! That's the only thing that held me back before.

No, I believe the "extreme" reliance on technology and guides, can and does allow the weaker of our species to live and play in the warrior's realm.

If that's your trip... take it.

charles

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blank:
RWJ: Here's a more honest answer to the question you posed. I shoot my Rem 700 BDL SS in 375 H&H all the time, and love it. I did put a Simm's Limbsaver recoil pad on it which made it almost pleasant to shoot. Went to Namibia last year, and it did the trick for 13 animals (including a half dozen kudu-gemsbok-zebra), out to 360 yards. It handles Noslers, Fail

Safe's, and TBBC's all with the same accuracy and slick functioning. I love it and even pack it here in Idaho for calling black bears. Shot a coyote last weekend with a 260 grain AccuBond at around 250 yards, for the practice with the 1.75-6x Leupold on high power. It balances well, the action is smooth, and I have never had any of my 700's jam or fail to function. The sights on mine are a poor example of Big Green's (read POS here), and quality is lacking. I would hate to have to depend on them; a spare scope in Quik-release mounts is a better idea. If you can get one up there for a reasonable price, I believe they are a nice, functional working man's gun. The real truth of the matter is to practice a lot with your weapon of choice. I plan on taking mine back on the next trip for a buffalo hunt, and feel very prepared.

Hey BLANK, I am picking up a Rem 700 in 375 the ADG model. I want to put a Leupold VX 111 1.75x6 on it and use Buttler creek flip up caps.

Can I do it an not get in the way of the iron sights??? I am going to change out the stock sights for som XO peep anyhow. You might like to try them I have them on 2 Marlins and they work great.

Thanks Honkey

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
ceg1963. Well I tried to take the high road on this one, but I guess I should have known better. The "guys like you" comment speaks volumes. You apparently have some self-esteem issues that prevents you from taking advice from other folks. SO tell me, did you come into this world full knowledge and never took advice from the more learned? Are you the "Oracle At Delphi" of Greek Mythology?

Stick to the facts at hand and the FACTS are that the vaunted Remingtons you speak about in the Military have at least three (3) major modifications that separate it from the stock Remington, those being the trigger and bottom metal, the safety and the extractor. Moreover, why do you think there is an entire cottage industry centered around installing the above three on commercial Remingtons? Because the FACTS are:

Remington "fire on fail safety" is dangerous as litigation clearly shows.And the saety does not lock the bolt which is a clear design flaw.

Remington extractors are prone to breakage if dirt is allowed to enter as the African PH testing and evaluation shows and as lots are replaced with Sako extractors.

Remington bolt handles are brazed on and lost of folks have the three pin modification.

Remington acquired the sniper rifle contract because Winchester stopped making the pre-64, the current contract ran out and Remington underbid Winchester. Moreover, the Remington "as is" flunked OPEVAL ( I assume you know what that means)and as such required the mods I alluded to.

While Military and police snipers DO require VERY PRECISE accuracy, hunting rifles, especiall those for dangerous game do not. That's why sniper teams are equippe with other rifles for more close in and dangerous work.

"Name brand" has nothing to do with it, but then again I suspect your exposure to different kinds of firearms other than military is quite limited hence, I should have expected the answer given.

Finally, your comment that those of us that rely on technology and PHs makes us weaker, sort of proves my point. You admit that using the Remington ( or a bow) and not using a PH makes you more of a man. I guess it does as the Remington is not the optimum weapon when it comes to hunting dangerous game. But lest I led that comment slip by, I'd venture to say I have at least the same ammount of time under the combat arms as you do, so let's not get into a "my dick is bigger than yours contest".

Now I'm even less of a man because I choose not to use a Remington. I've come to expect that from the false bravado that a computer gives folks like you.

And while I'm at it, what five thousand dollar trophy fee for buffalo? Never heard that one before but coming from you it must be true. Stick to the facts, not emotion. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to put my 2 in here. Between myself and my father I think we have owned just about every major rifle makers weapon at one time or another. I have come to understand they all jam no matter what the hell they are. We have owned over 200 rifle's between the two of us and yes they all jam. My dad had a 308 Norma built on a enfield action it jammed. I have a ruger 220 swift that has jammed. I have had Weatherby's jam and yes even a 243 in a Pre 64 Mod70 has jammed. The best feeding rifles I have found in my experiance are REM 700 and Sako and the PRE 64 MOD 70. As for reloading a rilfe quick it is what you get used to. There is no perfect rifle and I have seen a few hunting video's were the PH was using a REM 700 so that ends the debate on that.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to Africa twice. The guns used were -

In RSA - PH's used a CZ and Ruger

In Zim - Ph's used a Model 70 in a push feed, a a ruger in a .458 Lott, and a Model 70 in CRF.

I used the M70 in CRF.

I have not experience with Remington's other than the 870 Wingmaster.

The PH's all said - shoot what you like and can hit with.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Let’s agree to disagree. However, my post stands as is.

quote:
Buy and use whatever "technology" "read name brand" that makes you feel comfortable.

I'll take a Remington.

I suspect that you are the one with the stated self-esteem issues. Again, I stand behind the above statement.

quote:
No, I believe the "extreme" reliance on technology and guides can and does allow the weaker of our species to live and play in the warrior's realm.

Jorge, please don't be too sensitive. In fact, as an aviator (if indeed that's really what you are) you might even get a chance to fly over once and a while. As you do, pay close attention and watch as our ill-equipped ground warriors continue to get it done.

At a minimum Jorge, while you are playing warrior next time (however you define that game) please at least think about the men and women who are “truly†in harms way.

Oh by the way Jorge, you really should not use your friend's rank and experiences to leverage your opinion. Tacky at best

The M700 is a fine weapon for any application. However, like any other tool, opinions will vary in its effectiveness.

In the end, use whatever you can kill with, it's your game!

charles

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Charles: I see that your tactic of disparaging me didn't answer a single one of my questions regarding the TOPIC AT HAND. Regarding the rank issue, I was merely trying to point out the fact of his experience, not trying to impress anybody, lest of all you. Moreover, I don't see why I was "tacky" after all, you brought up your "so-called" military experience. Believe me I'm not worried about having to prove anything, much less to an internet tough guy like yourself. Those that know me here on AR personally know that's the last thing I need to do. One thing is for certain I know what the cost of freedom is and that is something that you the protected shall never know. That's the problem with these websites it gives warriors of the mind like you a forum in which to magnify your insignificance and fill you with a bravado that in all likelihood you never had and never will. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Again, I disagree with your assessment of the M700's field performance. I am sure that individually... some have failed. I am equally sure that other "types", CRF's for example have failed as well.

No, across the entire industry I don't claim to know the relevant data in order to slam other weapon types used to build other DGR’s. I don’t even know the failure rates of those weapons. But then again.... neither do you.

But what I do know is that I will risk my life, and or (if needed) protect yours, with a base-line Model 700 Remington.

Jorge, you are indeed the man!

Charles

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Now you're telling me what I do and don't know. I do happen to know, published data on the failure rates on various rifles resulting from Zimbabwe's PH annual qualifications for starters. And the last thing I need is protection from you thanks. You're in the armed forces like I'm a rocket scientist. And I'm done with this BS. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

I am sorry this got side-tracked. You have met me face-to-face, and you know that I am real.

I only used my extensive combat experience with the M700 to illuminate the point that the M700 is indeed up to whatever task put forth.

Jorge, you are an idiot! Zimbabwe is simply one of the most screwed up countries in the world. Great basis for the conclusions and opinions expressed here. If I had a dime for every shit hole place I'd been to in Africa... I could easily afford one of your D'arcy Echols!

But why bother, my M700 does just fine.

As far as your personal attacks... go to hell!

The M700 is a fine weapon for any "use" when employed like it is was designed to be employed.

Again, Robert, sorry for the deviation.

v/r

Charles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Rem 700 problems:

extractor breaks
bolt handle falls off
accidental discharges occur due to lousy trigger design

ceg1963,

These are facts and are well documented. Ignorance of the facts does not mean they are not facts.

Of course the extractor and trigger can be replaced and the bolt handle can be welded on. That was done before you used your M700 in the military.

But a sniper's job and equipment are much different than that of a hunter trying to stop a bear, buffalo or elephant at 15 feet. Use the right equipment for the job. And the R700 was not designed for this kind of work.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grain

Please read the original post.

quote:
I was not asking for opinions about the push-feed vs. controlled round feed. I think the argument about the difference in push-feed and CFR is for the birds. Anyone who has done any serious hunting knows that this is true.

RWJ, does not care about your opinion on what action is superior. I don't either. Specificly he asked about that combination... the 375 H&H round chambered in a M700.

quote:
I am considering buying my brother a Model 700 in .375 H&H and want to know what other folks who use this combination think of this outfit. I am looking at your basic new stainless steele synthetic stocked rifle...they come with iron sights...anyone who has experience with the Alaskan Wilderness Rifles, which costs basically twice as much, let me know what you think of that rifle.

Thank you.

Robert Jobson

Please keep this on track. It is a great thread and I am also curious if anyone else here has had "good or bad" experiences with the M700 in a DG caliber. I bet there are others interested as well.

By the way 500grains... there is nothing on this earth that requires a 500 grain bullet to kill.

Charles

<allen day>
posted
Some ten years ago I was in camp with Tanzanian PH Marshall Smalling, who was armed with a fine custom Mauser in 416 Rem. Mag., and this was a rifle he swore by.

He went to the expense of having this rifle built because a few years before he was armed for a season with a Remington Custom Shop Model 700 in 416 Rem. Mag. that smokestacked on him during an episode with a client-wounded buffalo which nearly got him killed. His story was one of the scariest near-death hunting episodes I've ever listened to.

In the real world, if you can afford to hunt dangerous game, you can afford a much better rifle than the Model 700. I agree with Jorge -- who is anything but an "idiot", as you so ignorantly called him -- and I agree with 500 grs. on this subject. Both may be trusted.....

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
cg: Nice try, but you continue to surprise me with your emotional responses, hence, everything you post comes into question.

When folks post on forums like these, I think that unless proven otherwise, one has to take what folks say at face value. For example, when you say you've had combat experience with the 700, well, I believed you. Yet, it was you that started questioning my integrity by saying idiotic things like "if that's what you really are", etc. Then by questioning my manhood just because I choose not to use a 700 is pure emotion and not fact. Moreover, you didn't even realize you were proving my point.Further, when you answered that way about Zimbabwe and the PH Test and eval process, it CLEARLY pointed out to me that you have little or ZERO experience on the subject of africa or hunting there. To ANYBODY that even reads or hunts africa, all know that the PH licensing and procedures in that country are the most stringent and ardous tests of any PHs anywhere.

You've neglected or failed to address ANY of the factual data that I and others posted here regarding the 700. It might make a fine rifle (with LOTS of modifications) in the sniper business, but not so for the business of dangerous game hunting.

Finally, the "you're an idiot and "go to hell" responses coupled with your emotional non-factual responses gives one further pause on your experience, voracity and frankly your false courage. It's easy to insult from half a continent away and behind the safety of a computer screen.Not something I would expect from a "real" warrior. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, enough said.

I am sorry that this went this way.

But, the last I checked, this was posted under ALASKA. I really give a rat's ass about an African guide's opinion. Yes, I guess that's my "centric" American attitude on display.

The M700, if used properly will get it done... period! And yes Jorge, there are plenty other actions that will get it done as well.

As far as my "alledged" military service is concerned... you can go to hell again!

Again, sorry Robert.

Charles

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
So it's ok to question *MY* alledged military service and not yours? Why did you even bring it up anyway? IT's totally irrelevant to the topic at hand. Like you said, this is the "Alaska" forum and not Fallujah. Robert asked for an opinion from us out here and many offered varying opinions,including us just "regular" Americans, and dangerous game is just that, dangerous, no matter where it comes from

I think you needed to add the prefix "ego" to centric. And trying to get back on topic again, yes! a 700 will get it done, so will a bow, it's just not the most optimum tool based on the facts and experience.And for that task, there are better actions out there. That's fact and not emotion.

OK now I'm done and that's too bad, for had you not thrown the first stone, this could have been a more civilized thread. Now I am done. jorge

PS: Folks just look at his style of "selective quoting" below when compared to what I really said. And he never answered a single question. This guy must be a member of the DNC.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, Thanks

quote:
yes! a 700 will get it done

charles

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Great thread, as usual.
The TOPIC is in the Alaska section concerning the .375 H&H in a Remington 700, in case anyone forgot... bewildered

The first stone thrown was the first reply to the question, which IMMEDIATELY went to the "get a CRF" common in every thread. Roll Eyes
Save for a few comments that actually answered the original question, everything went downhill quickly thereafter.

Then we went from Alaskan Bears around the world to African Cape Buffalo... nut

YIKES.

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
[The first stone thrown was the first reply to the question, which IMMEDIATELY went to the "get a CRF" common in every thread. Roll Eyes

Then we went from Alaskan Bears around the world to African Cape Buffalo... nut

YIKES.[/QUOTE]

BUsmaster007: The following might shed some light on why the thread developed as such:

A big mature brown bear weighs about 1200 lb or so. A big buffalo bull probably goes 1800 lb. Both animals are aggressive and dangerous especially when wounded. Hence, both animals are considered under the category of dangerous game.
I think I would be more "puckered up" with a bear than a buffalo though, those teeth and claws are to me more intimidating. It seems like a very logical comparison in that a rifle good for one will be good for the other, and in some folks' view there are better rifles out there than a 700 for subject task.

The reason the thread went {sic} "downhill" were the ad-hominum attacks by some who must keep reminding us how brave they are (or were), refuse to answer even the and in situations totally unrelated to hunting, questioned one's integritybased solely on the fact that their position didn't agree with theirs, "cherry-picked" statements to suit their own point of view and refused to let facts get in the way of the truth. Not hard at all to explain. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted earlier on this thread about using a m700. I have used one in 8mm mag since I was 12. I am now 35 and still have it, but use it less since I now have a M700 .375 ultra mag. I do understand jorge's position, but there are also many people that have never had a single problem with a M700. I for one. I use it on big bears all the time. I have never had a miss feed or jam a round while shooting. I know that the dirtier they are, the more chance of it happening. My buddy and I ended up recycling 11 shots at one brown bear, I was shooting the M700 8 mag and he a .340 weatherby. We didn't have any problems and believe me, it got exciting in a hurry. If I ever do a buffalo hunt in Africa, I will be bringing my M700 .375 ultra mag. I have heard enough on the extractor which I may have replaced as well as the trigger. I have noticed that the pull is a little harder than other rifles and there are better triggers out there. I personally have never heard of anyone's bolt falling off. I think both sides of this debate are great. It does seem that each time something is brought up about large rifles, it always goes back to CRF. I for one do appreciate the information and do believe what is said, but that isn't going to keep me from using a gun that I feel will perform flawlessly for me when the going gets tough. I guess if it does fail, I will be the first one to admit it! Hope all have a great hunting season. Started off with a great hunt in Africa and now a messed up sheep hunt that turned into a successful caribou hunt, and then off after a huge moose.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Northway, I had a Sako extractor put in my 700, and also had a trigger job done. I now find the trigger to be as good as any aftermarket trigger I've had on a hunting rifle. I posted earlier and still have the highest regard for the 700. I've not had a single problem with mine in the 32 years and thousands of rounds I've put through it. That said I did go with a Winchester CRF action for a .338 I had built for AK. The only possible problem I can imagine with the 700 would be for me to panic and double stroke the bolt, ending up with two rounds up and unable to close the bolt. I haven't ever done it but I guess it could happen. My thinking is that many problems can be avoided by anticipating them before they happen.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
jorge,

"CRF" isn't THE answer to every question, particularly the one asked in this thread.

A few people answered the question directly, and, to the dismay of the "CRF" proponents --- positvely.
Just 'cuz it isn't what you ( collectively ) want to hear doesn't mean it isn't True.
I think it's unfortunate that "CRF" becomes an instant thread hijack --- basically interfering with giving the Topic starter or anyone else a chance to get other information.

My point is that the Topic mutated immediately into the "CRF" answer, which in turn tends to bring out the nasty argument of "CRF vs. PF", which WAS NOT THE QUESTION.

That's what I meant.

NAHC Life Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad,

What type of trigger did you have put in? I am not sure what type I had in my 8 mag as a friend took it to his gunsmith friend and did it. Are the Timney triggers good ones??? I am going to take it in after hunting season and have the extractor and trigger replaced. I sure would like a little less trigger pull. One thing I really don't like on the new 700's is that crappy safety system. I like my bolt to be locked when on safe. I hunt hard and through some nasty crap and after the first time seeing the bolt open and hanging, I really pay too much attention to it. My 8mag locks. I really wish I could get my ultra mag to lock when on safe. I could care less about the safety issue as I am the one that shoots the gun. I guess I should look into it myself.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Northway, actually, my trigger is a factory Remmy that was "tuned" by the 'smith that built the rifle. I had it set at 2# for years and it broke like a glass rod. I now have it set at 3# so I have a better "feel" with gloves on. I have used the Timney trigger and mine was excellent, but this tuned Remmy trigger is just as good. I've also had a couple of Jewell triggers and they are great, but for a hunting rifle equally good triggers can be had for much less. I believe there are aftermarket safteys available that work like the older ones and lock the bolt down.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Busmaster: Point well taken, I hope you see mine also. Regardless of the PRF/PF embroglio, the locus of the question was the efficacy of the 700 as a bear/cape buff/dangerous game rifle and in that regard, there are better rifles out there. Hell I'd use a Weatherby any day but the 700 just has too many flaws (previosuly stated ad nauseaum) for my taste. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Understood.
I'll keep that in mind when I book a hunt for Alaskan Cape Buffalo... Wink

NAHC Life Member
Hunter in Training

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

I am asking this in a polite tone. Have you ever used a 700 and have you personally seen the flaws or experienced any failure with the 700 yourself? I know I have read stuff about it, but on the other hand, have never experienced any of the forementioned problems. Like I said before, if I ever do experience them, I will be the first to admit it. I look forward to hearing any experience that you have.

Thanks,

Northway

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Northway: The short answer is yes. I've owned one 700, a Classic in 35 Wheelen that I ordered just as soon as the caliber was announced in 1986 I believe. On my rifle the part of the breech where the lugs engage was overcut so the bolt would over rotate and therefore stick.
Now I was not going to damn all Remingtons by that one instance, but after that, I just sort of kept track on ones owned by friends of mine and what I observed at my local range/gun club. There I have seen AT LEAST one bolt handle separation and several extractor failures and the many issues cited on the Professional Hunters Annual Profficiency testing go a long way in convincing me that the 700 is not the optimum rifle fr bear or any other type of dangerous game.

To go on, I've never seen the safety fail, but one just needs to do a google search and the matter of the Remington "fail on fire" safety is a matter of public record, not to mention the myriad postings here and elsewhere on the 700's safety problems. It was even on National television.
Finally, I've been in the flying business for over 24 years and thankfully the platforms I flew were pretty safe. On the other hand, the Harrier aircraft flown by the Marines enjoyed the enviable monicker of the "widowmaker." My point being that just because I didn't fly them doesn't mean the aircraft didn't have significant problems. I think I'm on pretty solid ground on this one. Remingtons are just not optimum as DG rifles. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
There is no questioning the validity of the problems that come with a Remington gun. For those that get into custom guns or even reworked factory guns, you begin to learn much more about the problems with factory guns. You can say all you want about Remington or Winchester production line guns. The moral of the story is if you really did the research, you wouldn't hunt with either without doing some form of gunsmith work to the gun. Is this to say all factory guns fail or will fail. No.

What it is to say is that most of us on this website taking hunting seriously and want to be prepared to the best of our abilities on the hunts that we take.

The facts of Remington production guns are the facts. You run a risk with these poor extractors and triggers. Any decent gunsmith fixes this by putting a Sako extractor and a decent trigger into the gun. (I personally would re-bed any factory gun, but that is a different subject)

As far as the Winchester it is well known to have problems of it's own. To re-pin the trigger I would consider necessary on Model 70 Winchesters for dangerous game hunting. I also wouldn't have the cast claw extractor on the Win. Model 70. These have been known to shatter, and easily can be replaced with a much stronger custom claw extractor.

But the Winchester does have a better design bolt handle for dangerous game hunting and CRF is a good option to have. The winchester trigger is no question a better design. I don't think it is a fluke that most top gunsmiths use Model 70 Winchester actions as the building block for their guns. I am talking about dangerous game HUNTING guns.

Why wouldn't a serious hunter have these known problems fixed on any factory gun you purchase. Serious hunters try to eliminate shit that CAN go wrong in the field. For the serious dangerous game hunter, it's about being prepared to the best your ability. That includes being aware of problems that COULD occur with your equipment and trying to eliminate that POTENTIAL.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge and Lightning,

Thanks for your explanations. I am going to for sure have my extractor and trigger redone this winter. I can understand where the CRF would be better, but personally haven't had any problems with my 700. Thanks for your insight and experiences. Sometimes it is hard asking a question on the forums and not sound like you are being a dick. I thank you for your good responses. I have read about all the poor quality control in both remington and winchester. I am happy with my 700 and will spend some money to make it a better rifle.

Cobrad,

Thanks for you into also! I will ask about the after market safety so I can lock my bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought you guys would have all sold your M700's by now. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of what Jorge said, the bolt handle with the remingtons is an issuse. This issue is not just with remington but any action that solders the handle onto the bolt. We have seen custom actions such as Stolle have this same problem.(btw my this is my favoite custom action and it is PUSH FEED, which I do use in the RIGHT situations). You just can't argue that the winchester bolt handle one-piece design is flat better. It elimnates this ONE potential problem.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Northway: I really liked the last few posts here and I think we've all benefitted. New Winchesters have some quality issues also and no doubt your 700 will serve you better with the improvements you plan to make. It's refreshing to have exchanges like this instead of the previous ones with blowhards with inferiority complexes that makes them take the low road with insults and defy even the most simple of facts. Good luck. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

How have you benefited?

"I really liked the last few posts here and I think we've all benefitted."

The only thing this forum has done is illuminate for all your pompous ass ego. Some here will kiss your ass. By the way, hardcore M700 fans give a rats ass about your opinion.

Actually, aside from the earlier comments posted here, nothing has been gained by your intrusive comments.

The nerve... you only have one weak assed M700 under your belt... and yet arogantly command vast amounts of negative experiences.

While we are off the subject of this thread, I was just curious? Don't they have a weight standard/control program in your service? The pic makes you look portly.

Charles