THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Seriously, I was only trying to paddle back to camp.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seriously, I was only trying to paddle back to camp.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Just back from 9 days in 17B trying to call in moose. A friend from Bosie flew in with Bay Air based in Dillingham. We spent our time just north of the Nuyakuk River on a pond paddling around in my canoe beating on the brush with a paddle and grunting thru the megaphone trying to convince Bulwinkle we were a competetor for his harem.

On the first couple of days it just poured rain and blew, so we did venture out some, but didn't do a lot of calling. The evening of our second hunting day we did hear from a bull relatively close but I suppose he backed off. No hair was seen.

The third hunting day my friend took a walk down to the far end of the lake and was greeted with some heavy brush thrashing by what we I think can safely assume was a bull and in fact probably the same one as the day before.

Sorry folks, I thought I lost this post and didn't bother looking back 'til this morning.

Anyway, like I said before, we did hear from the bull again the third day, but didn't see him. The rest of the afternoon was spent calling and brush thrashing with no response.

That evening about 9:15pm my friend and I were paddling out of the creek we were up- to our camp on the other side of the lake when I noticed what I initially thought was a bear about 100 yards out on the meadow the creek ran thru and the lake was on the edge of coming at us at a gallop. It turned out to be a wolf which turned into three wolves hunting my friend and I! From their perspective all the wolves could see was two heads moving thru the grass in the dim light and they must have figured we could well be an easy dinner.

So, I start telling my friend to stop the canoe and cover his ears. He can't reach his gun behind him so all he can do is cover up. I manage to get my rifle out but as I am left handed, the wolves are still closing at a full sprint 90 degrees to my left, it's darn near dark, and I'm sitting in the rocking canoe, I get all three rounds cooked off in the chamber without rolling anybody. They finally stop less than 20 yards out as I pull the trigger on the last round, my friend thinks I spun one, and they take off for the timber. We get collected, land the canoe and look for blood, but by now it's too dark to really see so we head for camp.

After we get the fire in camp started that evening one wolf howls for about fifteen minutes down about where we talked to the bull moose last, and we retire for the night without any other excitement. I thought perhaps the one howler was calling for the other one or two I nicked?

That night it just pours rain all night. The next morning we get a good early start but the rain has washed away any hope for the two of us finding tracks, blood or hair. We spend about four hours looking for sign or carcasses, but no luck.

For the rest of the time in there we saw and heard no other sign of big game of any kind and tried to salvage the trip on the last evening with some diver duck hunting from the canoe. Truthfully, they didn't taste too bad! I mostly rained every day and is still just coming down in buckets this morning.

Anyway, kind of a long slow grind of a trip with maybe three seconds of adrenaline.

Posts: 9206 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Did he do any cow galls or grunts ?????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
"Did he do any cow galls or grunts ?????"

Galled cows are dangerous. Don't be doin' that.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I am feeling your pain. I spent all Moose season in 17B not to far from you. Read my report @ www,nwaoutfitters.com under our 2008 Moose report. We did go 5 for 6 on moose but the report tells it all.

Doug Klunder

Posts: 163 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats www.nwaouotfitters.com

Doug Klunder

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops www.nwaoutfitters.com

Doug Klunder