New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Below Zero Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am watching an episode that we recorded on the dvr. Sue is sheep hunting much to my surprise. It is COLD! -5 F.

At any rate, she starts climbing up a hill that looks really treacherous given the ice. A couple of ewes appear. She takes a couple of offhand shots. She misses.

I was quite surprised. Is this legal?

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
"reality" TV Larry. The answer is no.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from the episodes I've seen, none of those folks are very good shots. Especially for a people that are supposed to supply their winter meat with a rifle.
The legality of shooting ewe, I don't know.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a federal subsistence regulation deal. Some folks can shoot ewes I know but not sure what the stipulations are.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I just looked up the Tier II list on the state side. I didn't see her name for last year.

Maybe it was just edited footage to look like she was hunting them.

I would think shooting at an animal you didn't have a tag for would be considered wildlife harassment.

Maybe a DOI deal https://www.doi.gov/subsistence

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Barrow, the guys in Anuktuvik Pass could kill 3 sheep a year. Any 3 sheep. Some people would take 3 rams, most of the Inupiat would just kill 3 sheep.

I didn't spend much time searching, but I didn't see how that worked in 26C.

There aren't but about 250 people that live in 26C. The feds might have given them more free reign.

I don't know about today, but when I lived in Barrow, the folks in Anuktuvik and Kaktovik could hunt muskox. Even though the sport hunting of muskox is closed.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure someone needs to teach Sue how to shoot and how to use shooting rests of opportunity. I watched her last week shooting offhand at grouse and missing by quite a bit at about 25 or 30 yards. All she had to do was kneel behind her snow machine and take a rest on the snow machine seat.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or the likes of Agnes and her daughters shooting seal with a shotgun or caribou with that Mil surplus. Makes me upset!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what people do as long as it is legal, and they are using the meat.

Wanton waste of wildlife to me makes us all look bad.

I am like Saeed on that one, I don't like it when meat hunters claim not to like trophy hunting. I think it is asinine. I am a hunter, if it's meat it's meat, and if it's not it goes on the wall. The hunt is more important than the destination.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a moose hunt out of Aniak Alaska some years back and while getting our gear together for the return trip another hunter from the lower 48 was complaining about being dragged over the coals by a state warden. The hunter stated he told the warden that he watched several Inuit hunters in a boat ambush a herd of caribou as they swam across the Yukon, some of them where using what appeared to sound and look like 22LR semi auto just blasting into the herd. Some caribou died in the water but quite a few limped out of the river to die somewhere else and not one of those in the boat went after the wounded. They hunted that area for several days and not one of them went after the wounded. The warden stated there was not much he could do about it, probably since these people had no money to pay fines I guess.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I just looked up the Tier II list on the state side. I didn't see her name for last year.

Maybe it was just edited footage to look like she was hunting them.

I would think shooting at an animal you didn't have a tag for would be considered wildlife harassment.

Maybe a DOI deal https://www.doi.gov/subsistence

I will say this. The bullets, or what appeared to be bullets could be seen hitting the rocks near the sheep when she shot.

Shooting offhand at that range floored me. It was far enough that A rest should have been used.

I know what some are saying here . On this same episode, they are boating up to caribou crossing the river and shooting them in the head with what appears to be a 22.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have this bridge for sale - it's a real deal Wink Big Grin

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They shoot seals with shotguns in the face so they can't hold their breath and have to stay on the surface, drive the boat up and harpoon them then. They aren't trying to kill them with the shotgun.legal to shoot swimming caribou with a 22 in some units. It's the same as picking up steak at the store. This isn't sport hunting. It's harvesting.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it. The problem is that some people think we all do the same thing.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Or the likes of Agnes and her daughters shooting seal with a shotgun or caribou with that Mil surplus. Makes me upset!

Agreed....I am catching up on episodes with Netflix, and fast forward through the Hailstones.....terrible shots, and unethical hunting in my opinion.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
quote:

Agreed....I am catching up on episodes with Netflix, and fast forward through the Hailstones.....terrible shots, and unethical hunting in my opinion.

Again...this is harvesting. It's a tough one to understand when your livelihood doesn't depend on what you kill,pick,grow,catch,trade for,or find. It would be considered unethical hunting if it was sport hunting. Killing animals for sport is often considered unethical in itself. Killing for food, no matter how you do it isn't considered sport. Unethical is like beauty....one mans beauty is another mans distaste.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
quote:

Again...this is harvesting. It's a tough one to understand when your livelihood doesn't depend on what you kill,pick,grow,catch,trade for,or find. It would be considered unethical hunting if it was sport hunting. Killing animals for sport is often considered unethical in itself. Killing for food, no matter how you do it isn't considered sport. Unethical is like beauty....one mans beauty is another mans distaste.

Understand your point, but I have often seen them lose wounded animals.....they used inferior weapons, and poor positions, and overly long shots....the
Is is unethical under any conditions imho....unless starving. They don't look hungry.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya I hear ya. I'd wait to see the unedited footage before I drop the hammer on a official
Opinion on them though. It is tv. Made strictly for entertainment/controversy.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I was in Kavik last year while they were filming. It took me about 30 seconds to determine a lot of it was staged.

One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
Years ago, Four of us went on that hunt. It's a registration hunt in Unit 26. We went in March. Drove to Deadhorse, off loaded our snowmachines and followed GPS way points, found an ice road headed toward Point Thomson until we got near the Canning River. Then South to the Sheep. Great adventure. It was "freakin'" cold and windy. The next year the guys tried it again. It blew so hard and was so cold that they camped at Deadhorse for two days and the weather never broke enough to unload. They turned back and went home. We actually were fairly close to Kavik Camp. So, Sue was not out of her area. F&G said that the hunt was designed for the folks at Kaktovik to get some meat. We saw Sheep, Caribou, fox and at about 65 miles East of Pump 2, we saw Muskox. I'm a wee too old to try that again.

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son, whom eats what he kills, got busted for an unplugged shotgun hunting waterfowl.... He just assumed a new shotgun came plugged at 3 shot. At the same time the Feds were handing out cases of shotgun shells to the Inuits and allowing them to gather eggs from the nests of waterfowl....while they were driving new 4x4s and pulling $15K boat/motor rigs. Does not sound to me they need to "live off the land".

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The age ol' traditional harvest with a gun and a boat motor.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My mother's family dates back to before this land became the USA, they ran bison over cliffs killing hundreds at a time...pregnant cows, calves did not matter to them....should they do it today? A large portion of her family are 100% Lakota whom own their own homes make a median income some are doctors with 7 figure incomes....... yet they qualify for substance living off the land just as many Inuits do.
What about the Natives that motor out to a gam of walrus an open fire with A10s for the tusks to sell for dope money. The laws need changing.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
When I lived in Barrow, the guys in Anuktuvik Pass could kill 3 sheep a year. Any 3 sheep. Some people would take 3 rams, most of the Inupiat would just kill 3 sheep.

I didn't spend much time searching, but I didn't see how that worked in 26C.

There aren't but about 250 people that live in 26C. The feds might have given them more free reign.

I don't know about today, but when I lived in Barrow, the folks in Anuktuvik and Kaktovik could hunt muskox. Even though the sport hunting of muskox is closed.

Exactly. There are "any sheep" harvest and registration hunts that take place in winter by snow machine only and you must originate via snow machine only from one of the local villages up there to do the hunt. I do not believe it is federal or state run subsistence/tier. There are however subsistence sheep hunts around the state.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
....while they were filming. It took me about 30 seconds to determine a lot of it was staged.

Yep. Welcome to Alaska "reality". It's a double edged sword. It gets people interested in Alaska which is good for tourism, but it makes people believe ridiculous crap sometimes.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
For her area look specifically at subunit 26C hunt RS595.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sta...tions/pdfs/gmu26.pdf

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
quote:
....while they were filming. It took me about 30 seconds to determine a lot of it was staged.

Yep. Welcome to Alaska "reality". It's a double edged sword. It gets people interested in Alaska which is good for tourism, but it makes people believe ridiculous crap sometimes.

Brett

I knew a lot of it was staged as I know a person who used to be on the show. I saw absolute confirmation of it in Kavik.

The AK reality show I cannot stand is AK Bush People. It is cruel & unusual punishment to endure that show. If I ever have to see the kid again who thinks he is a wolf, I might shoot myself. It boggles my mind that anyone watches that show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so right! If I am flipping through the channels and come across that show, I can't get away fast enough. Can you imagine running around in the bush in the rain wearing a motorcyle leather jacket?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than being the personification of "white trash", I think the bush people are sort of a "Beverly Hillbillies" in down jackets. However, the Hillbillies were funny; the bush people are just stupid.
All that said, I've never watched a show; the lead-ins are enough to turn me off.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
quote:

My mother's family dates back to before this land became the USA, they ran bison over cliffs killing hundreds at a time...pregnant cows, calves did not matter to them....should they do it today? A large portion of her family are 100% Lakota whom own their own homes make a median income some are doctors with 7 figure incomes....... yet they qualify for substance living off the land just as many Inuits do.
What about the Natives that motor out to a gam of walrus an open fire with A10s for the tusks to sell for dope money. The laws need changing.

Yup. They sure do. I totally support traditional use and harvest. But I don't think that's what is allowed. It's just traditional use of the animal that's still traditional. Harvest means certainly are not. For unregulated subsistence, which is most maritime animals other than whales, I would love to see it go back to non motorized and no firearms. If they would stop claiming its traditional andnthey just need the seals for meat then I'd be less opposed to the guns and motorized boats. But flying the banner of culture and tradition to get special treatment I have a problem with.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For most episodes of Life Below Zero, Mr Hailstone just helps his wife do the hunting and shooting. He watches and then processes game after his wife makes a kill.
If you listen carefully to one of the episodes, you will hear why Mr Hailstone usually can not be seen shooting a rifle. The episode states that he was convicted of a felony which barred him from using a modern weapon.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They actually show him leaving for jail in one of the recent episodes.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The walrus poachers you mention are breaking several existing laws and are seriously pursued by at least a couple different fed agencies. I may hear or read about a single incident occasionally or annually, but I doubt more. Are the laws you propose changing going to make it more illegal? Super illegal?

Alaskas subsistence laws are not easy to compare with Lower 48 laws due to Alaskas lack of Reservations and "Sovereign Nation" lands within its borders. It is convoluted here since there are Fed laws and State laws but never the less there is a sometimes concerted effort to manage and protect fish and game, even from a subsistence perspective.

The dope you mention traverses your state to get to mine and the ivory you mention traverses your state to leave mine. How's about you slow down the transport in your state in an effort to curtail the crimes in my state you seem to be so worried about?

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. King , Ak is my home state has been for over 60 years! I keep a home between Sterling and Soldotna have been spending my winters in the lower 48 at my second home in Pa.
My daddy taught me to never assume what I think another man's personal business is or at least keep my mouth shut if I am not sure.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. King , Ak is my home state has been for over 60 years! I keep a home between Sterling and Soldotna have been spending my winters in the lower 48 at my second home in Pa.
My daddy taught me to never assume what I think another man's personal business is or at least keep my mouth shut if I am not sure.

Quakertown PA it is!

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you prefer if I added Sterling Highway, Sterling, Ak to my signature? Maybe I could put my hometown of Girdwood there too for you, if it would please you.
Tell you what meet me down at Smitty's on Labor Day/ 9/2 I'll be up there for a month or two maybe even three depending on the snows.

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
quote:

Brett

I knew a lot of it was staged as I know a person who used to be on the show. I saw absolute confirmation of it in Kavik.

The AK reality show I cannot stand is AK Bush People. It is cruel & unusual punishment to endure that show. If I ever have to see the kid again who thinks he is a wolf, I might shoot myself. It boggles my mind that anyone watches that show.

Last May I hunted out of Hoonah for Brown Bears with some friends. We stayed not foo far from the "homestead". It had a pickup truck for the film crew and pole barn to store their gear. It was all staged. Talked to the locals in Hoonah and they would all like to push them off the dock(some actually did, or so the story went).

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I don't know when or how hunting ewes is legal but at the beginning of that episode she says after years of applying, she was granted sustenance hunt permits for hunting on the Arctic Wildlife Refuge.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed that part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Life Below Zero but you have to take it with a grain of salt. The people are real, the scenery is real, the script is mostly fiction.
Alaskan Bush People is totally ridiculous.
Alaska The Last Frontier is mostly scripted.
When I was fishing out of Homer one lady told me that she frequently saw the Kilchers shopping at the same grocery store that she goes to. But parts of the show are authentic. Just take it with a grain of salt.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote