New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Below Zero Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite of those shows is The Last Alaskans.

I have found Alaska The Last Frontier to become a lot less interesting. They seem like decent people.

I like Life Below Zero although I do not care for certain people on the show. The scenery is incredible. The real parts, the scenery, the weather, etc is what I like.

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chip Hailstone is a member on this forum I have conversed with him several times, if I remebber correctly his handle is

strangerinastrangeplace

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His wife has a bitching tat.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have watched quite a few episodes on Netflix,,,,caught one today where she was hunting seals with birdshot in a shotgun.... fired at probably 40 yards.....looked for a couple minutes no her comment was "oh well, there are more of them". And moved on. The epitome of a unethical hunter whether subsistence hunting or trophy hunting.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2598 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
I have watched quite a few episodes on Netflix,,,,caught one today where she was hunting seals with birdshot in a shotgun.... fired at probably 40 yards.....looked for a couple minutes no her comment was "oh well, there are more of them". And moved on. The epitome of a unethical hunter whether subsistence hunting or trophy hunting.

Remember editing.....those shows aren't there to make those guys look smart and ethical. They are there so folks will start threads on forums about them.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remember editing.....those shows aren't there to make those guys look smart and ethical. ,......

Well then they have been successful!

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I think the hailstones are idiots without editing, but sadly the editing paints a bad light for all hunters.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the hailstones are idiots without editing, but sadly the editing paints a bad light for all hunters.

Pretty ballsy statement against people you don't know. Your whole opinion is based off what you've been spoon fed by the entertainment industry?

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too like The Last Alaskans. It is entirely different from other reality shows. It gives me the impression it is a real reality show.

My wife and I just cut the cord on cable so I am not sure how or if I can get The Last Alaskans. It is one, if not the only, show I would pay for. Right now netflix and google play have months of stuff to watch.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
quote:

Pretty ballsy statement against people you don't know. Your whole opinion is based off what you've been spoon fed by the entertainment industry?

Yeah, you picked up on this "opinion" thing merely by me saying "I think.......". Yep, it's an opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, you picked up on this "opinion" thing merely by me saying "I think.......". Yep, it's an opinion.

The question mark implied a question....as in IS your opinion based off what you've gathered from
Tv?

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The question mark implied a question....as in IS your opinion based off what you've gathered from
Tv?

No, I have seen unethical hunters in the field who feel the way the hailstones imply that they hunt..... they are perpetuating an attitude that hurts all ethical hunters. If they cared, they wouldn't accept TV portraying them that way....or at least in my opinion any ethical hunter would not allow themselves to be portrayed that way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tv?

No, I have seen unethical hunters in the field who feel the way the hailstones imply that they hunt..... they are perpetuating an attitude that hurts all ethical hunters. If they cared, they wouldn't accept TV portraying them that way....or at least in my opinion any ethical hunter would not allow themselves to be portrayed that way

So you do not actually know the hailstones, the people you called idiots? And your opinion of them is just from what you have seen on tv?
I understand what your saying about ethical hunters.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Hikerbum, before things go any further, let's hear YOUR definition of "ethical hunter"? I'm sure it, in many ways, will be different than that of some of the other hunters in the lower 48 that won't go hungry if they don't kill something.
You have been so self-righteous and quick to condemn a people that live in circumstances that are hard for people in the lower 48 to conceive, what you're opinion of the rest of us?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tv?

So you do not actually know the hailstones, the people you called idiots? And your opinion of them is just from what you have seen on tv?
I understand what your saying about ethical hunters.

I'd say that multiple felony and misdemeanor convictions don't paint the husband in the best light.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol nope.i know other guys who have pressed charges against troopers and had their lives ruined too. But that don't make him guilty, just convicted.no ones here holding the troopers accountable. I wouldn't ever call a guy an idiot for standing up for his family.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently, some of the convictions were overturned. The remaining convictions were misdemeanors. He is going to jail for a year and a half for two misdemeanor convictions. That seemed odd to me.

They are my least favorite on the show.

I have to wonder if he can now use guns again?

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge can sentence multiple incarceration as consecutive or concurrent, a misdemeanor is incarceration of less than 12 months and a day (Maximum by law), over that is a Felony so if he doing 15 months on misdemeanor than they are being served one after the other...they had it out for him.
Heat of the moment confrontations without injury or weapons are generally not dealt with harshly especially if it has something to do with family, he got screwed.

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Apparently, some of the convictions were overturned. The remaining convictions were misdemeanors. He is going to jail for a year and a half for two misdemeanor convictions. That seemed odd to me.

They are my least favorite on the show.

I have to wonder if he can now use guns again?

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by raamw:
Judge can sentence multiple incarceration as consecutive or concurrent, a misdemeanor is incarceration of less than 12 months and a day (Maximum by law), over that is a Felony so if he doing 15 months on misdemeanor than they are being served one after the other...they had it out for him.
Heat of the moment confrontations without injury or weapons are generally not dealt with harshly especially if it has something to do with family, he got screwed. /QUOTE/

This is usually the case when someone goes after a trooper either professionally or personally.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
No, I have seen unethical hunters in the field who feel the way the hailstones imply that they hunt..... they are perpetuating an attitude that hurts all ethical hunters. If they cared, they wouldn't accept TV portraying them that way....or at least in my opinion any ethical hunter would not allow themselves to be portrayed that way[/QUOTE]

You are making a mistake claiming that the Hailstones are unethical hunters. Chip is an Alaskan subsistence hunter, not a suburban whitetail hunter looking to shoot a Boone and Crocket buck to put on a wall and serve the occasional pot of deer chili. His family puts protein on the table. Hunting is not a sport for them.

How they do it may not seem "sportsmanlike" to you, but is effective for them. Shooting game birds with a .22 may seem unethical to you and your friends, but it is widely done in Alaska.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I see these so called," living off the land" picking eggs out of nests, group shooting into herds of ' bou ,killing waterfowl during the molt, etc,etc,etc. I can not help wonder why the same people on the same reality tv shows can not understand why game animals are harder to find today than 75 years ago.
How is it the management of game is only the responsibility of non native residents and non residents?
Sorry I have no pity for them, they have snow sled, 4x4 pickups, air planes, outboard motors, etc in short all the modern equipment at their disposal yet wish to hide behind the culture excuse.
Change The Laws...return to seal skin boats, snowshoes, dog sled, etc. And then use the "our culture" spiel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a retired LEO and I agree they deserve respect for the job that they do but I also know many people in LE don't have the correct personality to do their job correctly and the egos kick in. Take that ego and couple that with someone who is stressed and trying to prove their point to someone coping an attitude and it is a bad situation. I do not know Chips history if he is a hot head with previous conflicts with the law and also the cops history. Either case hopefully the prosecutor and Judge and defense attorney did their jobs. serving 7.5 months of a max 12 month sentence (times 2)is a fairly stiff sentence for a first time offender under those circumstances, don't forget that sentence is also imposed on his 7 kids and wife who live in a rather rough environment

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by raamw:
Heat of the moment confrontations without injury or weapons are generally not dealt with harshly especially if it has something to do with family, he got screwed. /QUOTE/

This is usually the case when someone goes after a trooper either professionally or personally.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
When I see these so called," living off the land" picking eggs out of nests, group shooting into herds of ' bou ,killing waterfowl during the molt, etc,etc,etc. I can not help wonder why the same people on the same reality tv shows can not understand why game animals are harder to find today than 75 years ago.

How is it the management of game is only the responsibility of non native residents and non residents?
Sorry I have no pity for them, they have snow sled, 4x4 pickups, air planes, outboard motors, etc in short all the modern equipment at their disposal yet wish to hide behind the culture excuse.
Change The Laws...return to seal skin boats, snowshoes, dog sled, etc. And then use the "our culture" spiel.

Well said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are confusing subsistence living with traditional means of harvest. Primitive weapons and resources would be a traditional means of harvest (even though they have had guns and knives for a couple hundred years now). Also remember where they hunt, there is only a handful
Of other hunters. Not enough to wipe out a resource and the animals they do kill aren't there all the time. Geese are only around for a short time, migratory fish only in the rivers at certain times and the caribou are not there all the time, the berry crop is only ripe for a month or so. Alaska animal/fish cycles function vastly different than most lower 48 animals.
Most subsistence hunters harvest within the limits of their subsistence hunting regulations, this is not people just walking around killing.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you deny that today's subsistence hunters have better equipment at hand than those of 100 years ago? Can you approve of killing game animals/waterfowl in the spring while nesting or rearing young? To anyone with any honor regardless of where it takes place it is horrid. To say," only a short time in a remote area nearly barren of humans...." is just plain BS. All the while collecting oil payments each year crying they are traditional 1st nation so they have the rights to do that. Sorry but I do not agree an no amount of excusing their behavior will make it more acceptable to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay. Your feelings are yours and they are real and I won't say they aren't. But I don't view this from the same perspective as you and that's ok. We don't have to.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you deny that today's subsistence hunters have better equipment at hand than those of 100 years ago? Can you approve of killing game animals/waterfowl in the spring while nesting or rearing young? To anyone with any honor regardless of where it takes place it is horrid. To say," only a short time in a remote area nearly barren of humans...." is just plain BS. All the while collecting oil payments each year crying they are traditional 1st nation so they have the rights to do that. Sorry but I do not agree an no amount of excusing their behavior will make it more acceptable to me.

Exactly.....

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well said.

No, not really well said at all.

Ignorant actually.

There are several, yes several as in more than two or three agencies that attempt to carefully manage and regulate fish and game pursuits in Alaska, ADF&G, NOAA, USFWS, Alaska State Troopers, (No! not the same as ADF&G,)being some of the obvious. The National Park Service also participates as do the Alaska State Park folks.

Marine mammals as well as migratory birds are managed under a bright and accurate microscope. Salmon are managed by three different entities within Alaska Fish and Game as well as the Feds. Caribou an moose receive lots of attention as do trout and goats.

No, its not a "Free For All!" out here in the "Bush", the "Sticks". Yes, this place is remote, it is wilderness, it is the Frontier in many ways and there are abuses, but no, its not the lawless third world some would ignorantly claim. The Federal Refuges have full time fully equipped enforcement officers, the state lands have Game Wardens too. I've been checked by both.
All fish and game activities, subsistence, sport and commercial uses are managed and regulated. Bluntly, asserting that, "the management of game is only the responsibility of non native residents and non residents." just isn't true. The reading of the laws on the books don't back that insinuation up, the experience and eye witness reporting of people with "boots on the ground" don't back that up either.

Is 2thdoc angry and jealous that "The Bush" gets a spring season on waterfowl and can use a gill net to subsistence fish for kings? probably. It 2thdoc envious of our any bull moose tags? Likely. Local residents in or near some National Parks are actually allowed to hunt inside of those Parks! I'm envious too.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
King you nothing of me so do not be so tasteless as to assume what I may or may not be envious of. I grew up in rural Alaska eating moose tossing antlers on to a pile behind the barn. I've killed my share of the big bears, sheep, an most every animal on land and sea that I wanted. Darn little of anything in Ak. makes me envious short of a true gold flour creek on my land.
Why are you trying so hard to tell me about the regulators or regulations of my home state? As if I do not know them...or at least the latest until they change again on some whim. What we have now is much like they have in Washington DC ...too many nonsense regs that are not worth the volumes they take up in print. It comes down to if you are too stupid to realize what you are doing is cutting your own throat with game populations in the name of "culture" then you can not fix stupid!

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
King you nothing of me so do not be so tasteless as to assume what I may or may not be envious of. I grew up in rural Alaska eating moose tossing antlers on to a pile behind the barn. I've killed my share of the big bears, sheep, an most every animal on land and sea that I wanted. Darn little of anything in Ak. makes me envious short of a true gold flour creek on my land.
Why are you trying so hard to tell me about the regulators or regulations of my home state? As if I do not know them...or at least the latest until they change again on some whim. What we have now is much like they have in Washington DC ...too many nonsense regs that are not worth the volumes they take up in print. It comes down to if you are too stupid to realize what you are doing is cutting your own throat with game populations in the name of "culture" then you can not fix stupid!

Nice....I still like some people on the show but fast forward through hailstones

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

You obviously,....you demonstrate you don't know what your talking about. what you write and whats true are not the same.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
KDLG public radio

Beluga whale harvested near Dillingham Sunday evening
By Avery Lill • Jul 31, 2017

A beluga whale was harvested Sunday evening near Dillingham. It was the whole hunting party’s first time to take a beluga. 

Credit Avery Lill/KDLG
On a warm Sunday night beluga blood mixed with water on the boat ramp by the Dillingham City Dock. Seagulls swooped nearby. A crowd hovered around Cade and Darryl Woods of Dillingham and Rebecca Ozenna of Little Diomede as they cut the edible skin and blubber.

The community showed up in force. Lines of cars brought people with their totes and trash bags. The successful hunters shared meat with everyone who came. It took about two hours to process the animal.
It was the whole hunting party’s first time to take a beluga. The three were commercial fishing for silver salmon when they saw a pod of belugas.
“We noticed one was nosing up to the beach and trying to get salmon, so we went up right to it and fired one shot, missed and got it with the next one,” said Cade Woods.
In Little Diomede, more than 500 miles away, Ozenna’s family celebrated the catch with a traditional dance.
“Right after we landed the beluga, I called home,” she said. “I asked them to announce it so they could celebrate for us because usually when they land whales they have a really big Eskimo dance celebration and other people from different villages come in and Eskimo dance and celebrate and feast. I’m really happy they are celebrating for us.”
In Bristol Bay, an average of 23 belugas are reported harvested each year. According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the population of belugas in the bay is stable and that number is well within a sustainable harvest size.
Contact the author at avery@kdlg.org or 907-842-5281.

© 2017 KDLG

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem to uh,......negligent, criminal, wantonly wasteful, immoral or anything else unseemly to me.

I guess Pennsylvanians mileage may vary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you like me to pull up about a "zillion" links along the lines of....AK F&G asking for info. on the setting of unregulated gill nets in waters unopened to any fishing, mass killing of various, etc, etc ?

We could banter back and forth...an will never agree for each link you find I can find another. You know it as well as I do.

Explain to all of us just how motoring up to a pregnant cow moose as she swims across a lake in early June shooting her in the ear, cutting out her backstraps is good for the population of animals you rely on to feed your family????. Like I said you can not fix stupid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't get involved in who is right and who isn't. When things get down to name calling, we are all wasting our time.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I will withdraw my idiot comment....just call it politically correct in today's world term.....Ethically Challneged.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I've never watched the shows about Alaska. I'm sure they'd just piss me off as it seems they've misrepresented what really goes on. I lived in the same subsistence hunting and fishing area as Scott King for many years and in those years I saw dramatic attitude changes toward game and fish. When I first arrived in Dillingham in the 80's it was tradition for the Yupiks to take a cow moose in the spring for dry meat. This was not legal but traditional. That practice through education rather than incarceration basically stopped and the moose population flourished.

Yeah! There are abuses of the subsistence laws. No argument there! On the other hand the papers are full of game law violations every year by visiting hunters from the Lower 48 and urban AK.

Of course there is jealousy which Scott brought up. People think the bush is Nirvana and in certain respects it is. I could take a moose (any bull), 5 caribou and with a subsistence permit all the salmon I wanted. That grates on some and the argument is made that residents should be all treated the same. Well if the urban Alaskan wants to embrace life in the bush they can. Of course that would mean giving up the advantages provided along the road system, limited employment opportunities etc. Most people don't want it that badly and a large portion of the folks that do move to the bush stay a very short time. If I remember correctly Dillingham's population grew by only 10% in the 22 year I was there.

I think to really understand what happens in the bush you need to live there. life in the lower 48 and on the road system in Alaska is quite different from the bush. I also think if you don't live in the bush or never have your opinions are not very relevant although you certainly are entitled to them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Of course there is jealousy which Scott brought up. People think the bush is Nirvana and in certain respects it is. I could take a moose (any bull), 5 caribou and with a subsistence permit all the salmon I wanted. That grates on some and the argument is made that residents should be all treated the same. Well if the urban Alaskan wants to embrace life in the bush they can. Of course that would mean giving up the advantages provided along the road system, limited employment opportunities etc. Most people don't want it that badly

Mark

I agree. It seems like many of the people who have a problem with the subsistence/bush rules imply that there is racism(reverse racism?) involved. Truth be told, most of the subsistence rules apply to all residents of the bush regardless of color.

There also seems to be an implication that subsistence rules are destroying the "resource". The subsidence rules are set with an eye on conserving the resource. The rules may seem overly liberal but when you weigh the resource against the demand it is usually pretty clear that subsistence hunting/fishing has little impact.

Having said that, no one should waste resources. Now I'll STHU...
sofa

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True I lived 35+ years along the road system still owning a home there on the Kenai from which I migrate back and forth between there, Fla and Pa.. But I also own my own bush plane with floats and skis and as you know there are darn few places I can not reach if I wish. So road system vs. Bush is a mute point at best. Whether it be Tok or the Brooks or wherever I can be there if and when I please.
My mother is First Nation Lakota 100% she and my father homesteaded in Killowa river drainage of then extreme bush Ak back in the 1940s....I know living off the land and trust me I did not know what beef tasted like until late into my teens. I have no reason to be envious nor jealous of today's "bushpeople" or those Alaskans whom move out to the Bush...winter over one year an consider themselves true bushies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT A STUPID THREAD.
Cant believe the topics that get some of you in the edge of the chair.
It's really funny
Well life go s on.