Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Or the likes of Agnes and her daughters shooting seal with a shotgun or caribou with that Mil surplus. Makes me upset!

Agreed....I am catching up on episodes with Netflix, and fast forward through the Hailstones.....terrible shots, and unethical hunting in my opinion.

Again...this is harvesting. It's a tough one to understand when your livelihood doesn't depend on what you kill,pick,grow,catch,trade for,or find. It would be considered unethical hunting if it was sport hunting. Killing animals for sport is often considered unethical in itself. Killing for food, no matter how you do it isn't considered sport. Unethical is like beauty....one mans beauty is another mans distaste.

Totally agree. However my Tlingit friends in southeast watch seals inhale then pop the top of their head off with their varmint rifles . Usually the seal doesn't sink. Also, Southeast tribes tend to take great pride in being good marksmen. I also have heard about nupiaks blazing away into a herd. By far too many reputable people to doubt it. They do the same with all animals. Including marine mammals.
I'm a meat hunter that likes and apreciates a good trophy . But, animals deserve to be shut off like a switch. Most all the cheechako shows are best left unwatched. People that wonder about Alaska should just come on up and go out and experience it. Preferably on their own.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to determine which is more realistic the TV shows about Alaska and its residents reality TV.
Or the comments on this thread made about them and the TV Show.
Like they say Walk a Mile in Their Shoes.
I have hunted there many times it's tough.
So my comment in conclusion is before spouting out negative ideas and comments go to Alaska live the life.
I know personally there are some guys posting here that are very good friends of these residents and probably don't appreciate comments made about them. Think a little first.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Do you deny that today's subsistence hunters have better equipment at hand than those of 100 years ago? Can you approve of killing game animals/waterfowl in the spring while nesting or rearing young? To anyone with any honor regardless of where it takes place it is horrid. To say," only a short time in a remote area nearly barren of humans...." is just plain BS. All the while collecting oil payments each year crying they are traditional 1st nation so they have the rights to do that. Sorry but I do not agree an no amount of excusing their behavior will make it more acceptable to me.

"Honor" has nothing to do with it. It is subsistence hunting. "Collecting oil payments" - right now, $1,000 per person, which is valuable cash money for villages with few jobs. Not that I have spent time in the villages, but no one is rich or even comfortable by your standards. Subsistence hunting is a completely different "animal" from your experience. No one in life is innocent, but they are putting meat on the table in a place where money, jobs, and supermarket food are rare.

Believe me, plenty of Alaskans curse the poachers who hide behind Native subsistence, but anyone living a subsistence lifestyle in the villages and in the bush earn their pay. Your version of "hunting" is not theirs.

Your dismissal of their means of subsistence is not far different from the jerks hounding a young man in Gambell: https://www.adn.com/alaska-lif...kills-bowhead-whale/

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
True I lived 35+ years along the road system still owning a home there on the Kenai from which I migrate back and forth between there, Fla and Pa.. But I also own my own bush plane with floats and skis and as you know there are darn few places I can not reach if I wish. So road system vs. Bush is a mute point at best. Whether it be Tok or the Brooks or wherever I can be there if and when I please.
My mother is First Nation Lakota 100% she and my father homesteaded in Killowa river drainage of then extreme bush Ak back in the 1940s....I know living off the land and trust me I did not know what beef tasted like until late into my teens. I have no reason to be envious nor jealous of today's "bushpeople" or those Alaskans whom move out to the Bush...winter over one year an consider themselves true bushies.

Never mind. I didn't read this. Clearly it's just politics, then.

Wish I had a bush plane with floats and skis, and a place on the Kenai, PA, and Fla. You know, like all the folks living in the villages who have those.

And it's "moot", not "mute". I'll stay mute from here on. Cheers.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:

Your dismissal of their means of subsistence is not far different from the jerks hounding a young man in Gambell: https://www.adn.com/alaska-lif...kills-bowhead-whale/

It is pretty sad that so many humans have gotten so far away from nature that they fail to understand the role hunting plays for many people the world over.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just on the ALASKA hunting forum and Hailstone made a couple of posts his handle is
strangerinastrangeland

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I was just on the ALASKA hunting forum and Hailstone made a couple of posts his handle is
strangerinastrangeland

In the AR Alaskan hunting forum? Don't see anything.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
strangerinastrangeland

In the AR Alaskan hunting forum? Don't see anything.

I was going to ask the same thing. Maybe he means the "Alaskaoutdoors.com" forum?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by raamw:
strangerinastrangeland

Im sorry you are correct here is the link
http://forums.outdoorsdirector...php/2-Alaska-Hunting
orum?

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote