Find
Notify
Tools

Australia - Report FINALLY COMPLETED
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies, Gentlemen,

I have just got back from a long trip to Australia. I have always heard mixed reports on hunting the large Bovines there and will give you my honest take based on my first hand experience. I was hunting with a client and we both took buffalo and banteng and I also shot a scrub bull [a breed of short horn cattle that's totally wild].

Here we go! Here we go! Another adventure coming up. Getting prepared for the 28 hour journey to down under! NY gun laws suck, but honestly touch wood I have never had a problem with leaving or departing the country with a gun and do it several times a year! What was surprising is this time my rifle came out with all the bags on the conveyor belt! The customs officer was a bit pissed and was going to give the airline rep a dose. It could become a problem if someone walked off with my double rifle!!

I flew Korean Airlines biz class. NY to Seoul and then on to Brisbane. Of the 4 flights I would say only one of them was a proper biz class seat. The food was pretty bad if you didn't like Korean food. Boiled chicken on one meal killed it for me! The crew was very attentive and pleasant.

14.5 hours later touched down in Seoul [yes i know i took the longest way there!!!], bought an over priced bottle of scotch for my cousin who i hadn't seen in many years and took off for Brisbane. 10.5 hours later, struggling to remain on the hard seat no cushioning and slanting downwards, I got to Brisbane. The airline had my rifle and bag with ammo and marched me over to Australian Border Force. With my import permit in hand [which comprised of a couple of papers and a proper plastic card] the lady was very pleasant and had me all squared away pretty quickly.

It was good to catch up with my cousins, One of them has a bunch of wild peacock coming around and 3 big males were always around. Kind of strange to see peacock on his property here because he had lots of wild peacock on his farm in India as well. They really are the most beautiful bird to me and the sounds of them calling remind me a lot of the Indian jungles.

Australian Bush Turkey

I have to say Australia has a lot of lovely bird life.

After spending a few days in Brisbane it was time to bid farewell and head for the bush! Check in with my rifle was a breeze with Virgin Australia, they just looked at my fancy plastic Gun permit and off I went no checking the gun etc etc. Few hours later we landed in Darwin. A small tropical city where i met up with another old childhood friend and my good friend and client Mr. D. We bumed around Darwin for 2 nights and visited the Darwin war museum. It was quite interesting and the main event was a bombing raid by the Japs, where they dropped more bombs on Darwin than on Pearl Harbor!

Aircraft fuel drop tank which gave them the ability to fly to Darwin and return home. All pretty bloody amazing....

Lots of old military hardware on display and well worth an afternoon's visit.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

To be contd....

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a fun trip. Good to know about KAL... I just got back to Mongolia via Turkish through Istanbul. Three of us flew TA and three flew KAL/Delta. Of the three that flew TA, none of us got our guns until the last day of the hunt. Two of the three got their rifles via KAL so much better odds of arriving with your rifle, despite bad seats!

Darwin is a cool place with nice hotels and restaurants and plenty to see and do. Guess you did the WWII tunnels under the city?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We caught a charter flight to camp on the same plane that was picking up my earlier clients who had finished with the buff, only shot 25 between them in 5 days of hunting! The outfitter I work with has the largest concession in Arnhem land and is thus able to offer big cull packages for those who want to do a lot of shooting. Recent game counts have shown that the buffalo are back to the levels they were before the eradication program in the 70's. They estimate that there are now 400,000 buffs in the NT with 25,000 in the central Arnhem land plateau.

Leaving Darwin bound for Bulman.

Bulman was a small place 50 years ago and remains the same, a couple of small houses and a small shop I believe. If you blink you have driven past town! Nothing to see! From there is was a 1.5 hr drive to camp. Which was situated on a nice little creek with tented accommodation. Thanks to Sat connection we had wifi and TV. A generator provided power 24/7 and hot and cold showers made for a very comfortable stay.

First buff sighting on way to camp

Having sighted our rifles, we started hunting the next morning. We used these Polaris 4wd to get around and they are simply amazing, go anywhere with ease and very comfortable. Similar to African hunting you drive to cover ground and often see animals from the vehicle before planning a stalk.

BUFFALO HUNTING

For those who have not hunted the Asian Water buffalo in Australia, here are my thoughts! Firstly these buffalo are descendants of the Asian water buffalo. In India we have the wild Water buffalo and those that have been domesticated. There are also found in other parts of Asia. If you read old hunting books they had a pretty fierce reputation but as they are/were only found in two places there is not much written on the hunting of them.

The Australian buffalo are not larger in body than the Cape buff as many had told me. But they are just as tough, all of them took multiple well-placed shots with 375s and also my 470. before going down. This is not a tracking hunt like a Cape buff hunt and that is the main difference in the hunt. You can hunt them by driving around or still hunting. There are countless remote valleys and streams to explore and most of them have buffalo in them. So you can decide what kind of hunting experience you wish to have. Having no predators and hardly or never a human, they are not wary animals to approach. But the big ones know the drill and do move off most of the time. In terms of aggressiveness, the outfitter told me of the 150 bulls he has taken in the last few years with clients, he has had 2 all out charges. I do not know how that compares to someone who has shot 150 cape buffs. But again no one in their right mind hunts any buffalo praying for a charge!

The bulls are larger in body size by a 3rd I would say than the cows. As with the Cape buffalo the SCI scoring method awards the shooting of younger bulls with longer horn length. We decided to target the older bulls with bigger bodies, and horns that focused more on mass and character, with worn down tips. But if you wished to one can hunt for score as well. Clients before us shot two bulls with a score of 102! But I feel a real trophy is the same characters as what one looks for in an old dugga boy.

375 H&H - 4 shots

416 Rem - 4 shots

470 - 3 shots

While out one day we spotted a herd of cows and calves and were looking them over when suddenly we spotted the bull in high grass. He immediately stood out with that old buff look and big body. We loaded up and stalked to about 50 yards, the first shot in the shoulder made him stagger and it looked like he was going down, but he got to his feet to receive another round from the 470 also in the shoulder, he then proceeded to move away and I gave him a 3rd shot as he went out of sight. We followed up and saw that he had gone down just over the rise. As you can see this buff was a real old boy, horns were smooth and tips were also starting to splinter. I would shoot this any day over one with long tips just for the length!

Don't get me wrong all these buffs were dead on the first shot, but with DG game and a million miles from help you don't fool around!!

For those who keep talking trash about Hornady ammo! I was using factory Hornaday DGX bonded ammo, I don't think you can beat this performance. Don't believe everything you read on AR!

Moving on to the cows. They have longer horns and are a unique trophy in themselves.

My client took this cow which had a unique set of horns.
375 - 3 shots

My old long horned cow below. She was in a herd and there was another cow with matching horns, but I opted to shoot this one. We were exploring new area, the outfitter had last been there 8 years ago and no one since. These area are REMOTE and in many parts of this huge area no white man has set foot in! I did not know what to expect but the last Aborigines came out of the bush just before the start of the 2nd world war. So there are none leading the life they once did. That is one of the cool factors of this hunt. She also took 2 shots with the 470, granted the first shot was a little behind.

Thats a bullet right under the skin

SCRUB BULLS

The Scrub bull (obviously the males) are the short horned or brahma breed of cattle or a mix I believe. These animals have gone feral when they were released or got loose decades ago and are now totally wild and pretty much lost all their domestic traits. I was keen to shoot one as it is truly a game animal and even more wiley than the buffalo. They are not as plentiful as the buffalo but in hunting one remote part of the concession we came across a few herds of them. We spotted a good bull on his own in some real thick, gnarly stuff and the chase was on. We tried a sneak but he winded or spotted us and started off at a fast trot. We tried to cut him off but he was on the move through trees and a couple of chances did not work out. By this time we were all on the move and finally it was now or never and as he went through a gap in the trees i let fly. He bucked at the shot and kept going! A running gun battle ensued and the only target i had was TX heart shots going through a lot of thin trees and saplings. After two soft nose failed to stop him, I remembered a solid that I had in my belt and that seemed to do the job! A final finishing shot was required and down he went. On examination all 3 of my TX heart shots had hit the bull while it was going away. The first shot was a bit too far forward and a little high in the base of the neck, just missing the spine that would have been fatal. I guess my lead was a bit too much, but shooting at moving animals through trees is difficult!

They were all quite ecstatic about the bull and said it was the best Scrub bull they had taken this season. I was told that this coloration and horns were a fine specimen and a pure breed of the short horned species of Scrub cattle.

Another view of the bull

I can understand hunters for thinking this is nothing but a cow and may not even want to shoot one let alone put it up in one's trophy room, but for sure they are a neat game animal in my view.

On the last day we went on to shoot two cows for meat for some Aboriginal elders as well. The meat looked delicious but was tough as all hell on the BBQ that night. I suspect it needs to be aged and also cooked better.

BOAR
-----

I also managed to shoot a wildboar as well. I call it wild boar loosely which of course they are, but they are a feral pig IMO. Atleast that's what they look like. We were driving along one day and spotted a small herd of buffalo cows in a small stream. I did not even bother to look with the binos, but as they saw us and moved off I noticed a calf still standing in the water. The outfitter who had his binocs up said get out and shoot that pig! What we thought was a calf was a big pig in the water!

A quick stalk along the bank and we had him dead to rights at about 40 yards! I don't think he heard the 470 and was dead in the water. There is just such a good feeling using a big double on just about anything and I have shot European boar, warthog, bushpig and now an Aussie pig with my double.

In this area there are not a lot of pigs as compared to other areas, but if you really wanted to, walking along the streams and water holes should produce some pigs.

Same applied to the Banteng area in Coburg.

BANTENG
--------

Having finished our hunt in Arnhem land we left for Coburg National Park which is on the Northern tip of Australia. The drive is long and we left camp early in the morning and with a lunch stop in Katherine we got to Jabiru that evening. We overnighted there and drove another 4 hours to the camp on the Coburg Peninsular. I would suggest that clients fly from Arnhem land to Coburg and save themselves this long drive!

To shed some light on the Banteng. They are a wild species of bovid and not domestic feral cattle. Information on Banteng. They are also very similar looking to the Indian Gaur, just half the size!

In their native habitats in countries in South East Asia Banteng are on the verge of extinction and are on the IUCN red list. In Australia, the Banteng were introduced along with buffalo in Coburg National Park along with buffalo and while the buffalo spread all over the NT, the Banteng stayed on in Coburg.

There are essentially 4 places where Banteng can be hunted in Australia. Two are in fenced areas one large and the other small. Coburg National Park where we hunted and the other free range area in Coburg called Marginela [spelling check]. I was led to believe that the Aboriginal elders in charge of Marginela are squabbling amongst themselves so it is unclear if anyone has the rights to hunt over there currently. If you look at most Banteng hunting videos the hunts in the open flood plains are mostly in Marginela. A lot of them were short hunts with access by helicopter.

The Coburg National park concession is a whole different ball game. And is a proper hunt that the Banteng deserves. The area is forested and has few roads but just about enough to access the different areas, although the Banteng are everywhere! The camp itself is one of the most spectacular locations i have ever seen a hunting camp in, situated on a cliff with the beach below overlooking the ocean.

Miles and miles of beautiful beaches but don't even think of getting in the water! You really do feel alone in the World looking out over the ocean, Robinson Crusoe must have had a miserable time of it!! Smiler

The camp is very comfortable made up of containers converted in to living space with AC, 24/7 generator power, hot shower etc. The remoteness of these areas are something to behold and when the outfitter asked if we had a GPS so that we could find our way back to the truck if something happened to him while we were hunting, made it all very real! And this is one of the things to experience on these hunts.

Banteng are wary and switched on and the hunt is mostly still hunting and covering ground on foot as there is no vehicle access allowed off the main roads in the National Park. So you drive to an area that you wish to hunt and from there on it is all on foot. The first morning saw my client Mr. D up first. We left camp very early and while driving on the way spotted our first Banteng cross the road and disappear in to the darkness. We were hunting about 5 miles from camp and when we got to the spot we gathered our gear and set off! The plan was to still hunt some feeding areas and after that produced nothing, we made our way towards a bedding area and a small stream. In some thick stuff we heard what sounded like two Banteng snort and crash away. The snort reminded me very much of the sound of the Indian Gaur, when I followed them in the teak forests in India! We had walked about 3.5 miles and as the sun had now come up and it was around 10am, i figured the morning's hunt was done! Suddenly a huge solitary bull jumped up from some grass barely 40 yards in front of us. Always amazing such big animals can hide in plain sight. A quick look and Nick gave the go-ahead to shoot. At the shot the Banteng spun around and took off it seemed hit but there was no visible sign, a quick TX heart shot was fired and it disappeared from view! Later we discovered that shot had also connected. D was using a 375 Ruger, so adequate enough gun. We followed in the direction we last saw the bull and quickly found pink lung blood. I figured it was hit a bit behind and probably only got one lung, which turned out to be the case. We followed the blood trail (oh where are the African trackers!) which was thankfully decent and after a mile and a half spotted the bull standing under some low bushes. Follow up shots were taken and we were soon admiring a truly wonderful Banteng.

Banteng country

He has everything, length, mass and age. The area is very under hunted and some really good trophies can be taken here

Mr. D kindly offered me the first shot. Maybe I should have accepted his very gracious offer Frowner. Smiler

What would I give to be 29 again!

The next morning was my hunt and despite a good effort, the only Banteng we saw was driving in to the area. Back to camp and after a bit of a rest we left camp around 3pm. The plan was to hunt a distant area where no Banteng has been taken before, thus hoping to find a good old bull! After turning off the main road while driving in we spotted a young bull and then another good bull. However the wind was not right and we opted to drive towards the ocean and then hunt inland. We had walked a mile or so when we spotted a lone bull coming towards us! We set up quickly and when he was crossing at about a 100 yards. I shot him behind the shoulder. A longish shot for a double with a red dot but the Gunstix shooting sticks really make for a very stable shooting platform. On the shot he bucked and ran 20 yards and dropped but still had his head up. We moved in a little bit and I got back on the sticks. A few moments later he got up and received another shot slightly raking forward which did him in.

He turned out to be a real old bull as well, with broomed off horn tips and I was overjoyed on a taking a rare species of buffalo. I never thought I would get this far but with this I have taken 7 species of wild bovine.

A shameless plug for my Gunstix shooting sticks, but they truly are a game changer!

The Tiger kills a Banteng

I cant help but post these two photos taken 69 years apart! My father in his 20s with one of his Indian Gaur and me with the Banteng.

Prior to us getting there two other clients also took two nice Banteng so a 100% success over 4 hunts. In conclusion I have to say that a Banteng hunt is something that should be on every serious International hunter's list. And for those who voice oh its Elzie the cow, Sir do not display your ignorance. With the way things are in the world these days and especially in Australia where illogic is live and well, who knows how long more we may have to hunt Banteng. Do it while you can.

Aside from the Banteng in Coburg, we did some fishing and caught, barramundi, mangrove jack, something they call a salmon, mackerel, barracuda, GT and Trevally. We also saw salt water crocs, dingos and wallabies.

Thank you for bearing with me while I compiled this long hunt report! Australia is a different and unique destination. When you think of hunting buffalo species its natural to compare it to hunting African buffalo but if you have not done it go with an open mind and enjoy the experience. You don't have the native African trackers and staff and that side of the hunt experience but the sights are different and the pure wilderness and remoteness will leave you amazed.

A big salty's tracks heading in to the ocean, you don't want to follow him there! There are lots of things that can send you very quickly to the next world down under!

Death of another day on the very top of Australia.

Our 2024 booth numbers are listed below. Come by to go down under!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

2024 SHOW BOOTHS:

DSC booth #950
SCI (Nashville) booth #411
Western Hunting and Conservation Expo (Salt lake city) booth # 319

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your experiences! Incredible that the outfitter hadn't been to a place in his concession in eight years, that is very remote and has to add to the mystique of the hunt.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun:

That sure don't look like any brahma I've ever seen.

We raised them while I was a teen.

Great write up though. Had plans to go back in '10-12 until my health took a dive.

Thanks for sharing with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Gotta be some Toro Bravo in there.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello George,

The one I shot was a short horn breed, not Brahma as I mentioned above. I am familiar with the Brahma cattle with the hump, a quite common breed in India.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Arjun:

That sure don't look like any brahma I've ever seen.

We raised them while I was a teen.

Great write up though. Had plans to go back in '10-12 until my health took a dive.

Thanks for sharing with us.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank for the report. any chance for the croc hunting or still prohibited?

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Arjun...you took some great animals. Particularly like that Banteng bull. Looks like a real whopper!

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fine Banteng indeed. Well hunted. Congrats Arjun.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They get some nuisance permits but not for visitors.

quote:
Originally posted by medved:
thank for the report. any chance for the croc hunting or still prohibited?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the Banteng were excellent trophies. This place has not been hunted much, so its possible to shoot some very good Banteng here. They truly are a rare beautiful wild bovine. In India the Gaur are doing very well and there is probably an over population of them in Southern India. But the Banteng are very endangered in their native habitat.

I can say now from personal experience this is as good a hunt as any other in a very wild and unique part of the world that few have seen.

quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Arjun...you took some great animals. Particularly like that Banteng bull. Looks like a real whopper!

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Arjun.

I was down there a number of years ago and took a very nice trophy. I would be more interested in a management hunt if I were to go again. Would you please send me some pricing information? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report! Thanks for writing it up!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt and report Arjun.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Hunted years ago with Bob Penfold; quite an experience! Got LOTS of trigger time on donkeys, wild boars, a camel, water buffalo, and scrub bulls. Got a proper charge on the scrub bull; these things make for a great hunt and soak up a lot of shots; mine took 3 decent shots from my 375 H&H and then Bob handed me his 458 WM when it attempted to mount a charge.

Didn't hunt bantang but was told it's a great hunt.

Darwin is a neat town! We were there (1999?) when Australia sent troops to East Timor. It was supposedly a humanitarian mission but from our 7th story hotel room we could see that the ships were combat loaded; fighting vehicles on the inside of ambulances lining the outside of the decks. Plus there were hundreds of Australian troops in town trying to look inconspicuous in civvies.

Do this hunt with Arjun!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun
Thank you for posting the report and photos. Incredible experience and country/wildlife

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote