posted
Dates: 17-22 September 2014

Area: Sky Mountain, Unit 10 New Mexico USA

Booking Agent: Aaron Neilson / Global Hunting Resources

Guide: Ty McFarland

Species Hunted: Elk

Bow : Bowtech Destroyer 350

Arrows: 75/95 GoldTip Pro Hunter’s, Blazer vanes, 125Grain G5 Strykers

The hunt got off to a bad start when my bow didn’t show up on arrival at Dallas Fort Worth. Not trusting what the airlines were telling me and not wanting to waste hunting time I picked up a new rig from a very good pro shop in Albuquerque before heading out to the town of Grants on the old route 66.

Accommodation was in very comfortable cabins at the Z Lazy B Ranch nearby.

My guide for this hunt was Ty, an avid bow hunter and elk expert. Ty explained that we would be listening for bulls calling in the mornings and late afternoons. Once located we would set up nearby I would be some 40-50yds in front and he would try to call the bull over with a variety of cow calls and decoys.

The weather was unseasonably hot and with the full moon the previous week the rut had yet to materialize.

Ty had spent a good portion of August scouting the ranch before the season opened. He had a number of strategically positioned trail cams at watering holes and wallows that provided a pretty good indication of elk movement and numbers.

We were successful in calling in a number all within bow range. However they were all spikes and rag horns. The big boys remained in the timber with their cows unwilling to come in to the calls.
Not wanting to risk moving the bulls off the ranch by pursuing them too hard we decided to change tact. The continuing heat was bringing them to water during the day so we concentrated hunting around the water on the ranch.

On the second evening a good bull came into water as the light was fading. He announced his presence by bugling as he approached. Several other bulls replied to his bugle. It was quite an experience as they called back and forth for around half an hour. At last light he presented a broadside shot at 75yds it was a hard decision to make but I lacked confidence in the new bow so didn’t shoot.

We spotted mule deer on a number of occasions.

My bow eventually turned up, which boosted my confidence immensely.

After calling in a couple of satellite bulls I spotted a group of three coyotes. Ty and I called two of them in to around ten yards where upon I proceeded to miss on two occasions!!!

Late in the afternoon of day four the same bull I had been hesitant to shoot at returned to water. Ranging him at 66 Yds I released my arrow. I watched as he made it some eighty yards to the edge of the timber before piling up.

The trail cam snapped him seconds before I released my arrow.

The arrow had taken out both lungs and imbedded itself in his opposite shoulder breaking off one of the blades.

Speaking to other hunters in the area I felt incredibly lucky to have got my bull as so many of them had not had any luck as the rut was almost non-existant in Unit 10. I am pleased to have been able to experience calling in a number of bulls even though the one i took wasn't taken coming to the call.

Ty's experience and relentlessness payed off in getting me on to a great elk.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Really really cool, well done and good for you. Thx for sharing. l use & hunt with the same bow.
Btw, what is there to hunt in Kuwait?

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Job Faisal, very happy for ya!!

No doubt, the hunting has been much tougher this year, versus last - on the same ranch. Hot, dry, full moon, etc. But I'm glad it worked out for ya, congrats!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.... very nice bull!!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Faisal,

Excellent all around. Beautiful bull. Didn't know you were a bow hunter.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, man. That is a dandy bull.

I hunted there with Ty last year second week of archery. Sounds like a very different year weather and activity wise. Last year I got rained and/or hailed on every day of the hunt, but we still got into them though I came up empty handed. Calling did nothing, and there was water everywhere. I am booked to go back next year.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull. And to hunt with a new bow? Glad it worked out for you. Congratulations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sforbsy thanks for the comments, the 350 destroyer is the best bow I have had since my 2006 Allegiance. The thing is confidence inspiring i have been getting 6" groups at 80yds with broadheads when 1 do my part. when it didn't show at DFW I was beside myself. however I now also have an RPM360 which looks promising.
Unfortunately other than some migratory bird hunting there aint much to hunt here in Kuwait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Great Job Faisal, very happy for ya!!

No doubt, the hunting has been much tougher this year, versus last - on the same ranch. Hot, dry, full moon, etc. But I'm glad it worked out for ya, congrats!!!

Thanks Aaron I really enjoyed this hunt, good call

regards

Faisal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
farbedo,
Ty told me last year was totally different than this, although we had no rut so to speak of the heat ended up working in our favour.
best of luck for next year
Regards
Faisal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Very nice bull. And to hunt with a new bow? Glad it worked out for you. Congratulations

pagosawingnut, luckily my bow turned up when the moment of truth arose so I was able to make the shot with the same set up I had been using for the past 2 years much to my relief. Familiarity really dose breed confidence in these situations!!!

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great bull. Archery hunting rutting elk is one of the best hunts out there. This damn western heat wave just managed to degrade it a little bit but the big bulls were actually still pretty active here in MT!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull Faisal...Way to go!!! tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great bull, Faisal! Congrats on getting it done with the bow!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great bull.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Faisal,

Ty was telling guys in camp about your hunt just this week. I can tell from the way he told the story that he truly enjoyed hunting with you. Congratulations on a great bull

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote