Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian Brown Bear hunting? any advice
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys I am going to hunt Russian Brown Bears on kamchatka any buddy have any advice for me hunt is April 23 to may 4th

Posts: 3 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Who did you book the hunt with if you don't mind me asking?

My only advice would be to prepare yourself for long delays, vehicle and equipment failure or malfunction and logistical shortcomings. Once you're through with the travel, the hunting can be quite good if you're in the right area!

Good luck, and make sure to post a report when you're home!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a few snacks you like, powerbars, trail mix, candy bars etc. They have little if any of those things. Take a care package of OTC medications for headaches,flu and a small personal first aid kit. Keep all paperwork they give you and always have it handy. Have a 4457 if US or a Canadian firearms ownership card form for your rifle if you take your own. If you need to take US funds make sure you present clean, unwrinkled US bills, not sure on Canadian funds. Check with your hunt operator or agent. A walking stick or Bog Pod is helpful for getting around if there is moderate to heavy snow, plus a quick rest. Judge the bear yourself, unless you know how well the guide can. Get a small Russian dictionary and memorize a few necessary key words or phrases, the little ones fit easily in a pocket of your shirt. On your return make sure you have a CITES from Russia and all applicable papers. Have an extra leakproof bag if bringing your bear home. Expect stiff excess baggage fees on your interior Russian flights I believe the weight limits are 50 pounds or less. It is a rugged hunt and an adventure. Like Greg said expect things to break or already be broken, expect a spartan camp and plain food. *I hope you have a safe and successful trip.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to drink lots of wodka :-)

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Any advice on guns? I have a 300wsm and a 375 H&H both i shoot well with. The only downside to the 375 is its a single shot rifle. and my next big question is footwear?

Posts: 3 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the .375 but I would shoot what you shoot best and are most comfortable with. It might help to degrease your firing pin, and use some graphite lube. Not really necessary unless it gets really cold. I wear Hoffmanns boots from Kellogg, Idaho similar to Schnees and Whites 12 inch leather uppers and rubber bottoms with air/bob soles and -30 liners. Some people wear packs and overboots. *Take a good pair of snowmobile goggles and a facemask. If you live in Saskatchewan you probably have most of this stuff anyway.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are a few aussies you need to talk to.

email me if you like

mark.mclean@rocketmail.com

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
mark.mclean@rocketmail.com

email sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wade Derby:
If you need to take US funds make sure you present clean, unwrinkled US bills

MsAZW just got back from Kazakhstan/Moscow (she watched our friend Don Pettit blast off to the space station). NASA advised everyone to take brand new bills as those that are not in pristine condition are often refused.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Be prepared to drink lots of wodka :-)

+1

If necessary, get some practice in before you leave as those boys will mean business.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
And don't get drunk on the first night unlike some .....

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An absolute must is a very warm cap made out fur not only a wooden beanie. Take a light gun slip to protet the gun while on the sled. My helicopter was delayed due to weather for three days. Take a sat phone.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I used Win 70 in 375 H&H and Sorel Boots.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made that trip 10 years ago and still have not quit shivering. Consider taking a good OTC pain killer as even the most physicaly fit will suffer sore spines and joints from sitting on sled in cold weather for long hours. Not good but GREAT sun glasses are another must as are a set of water/windproof outer garments.
Yes learn a few basic phrases of Russian it will aide you much. And do not expect NA type of hunting camp equipment in like new working order. It seemed to me most everything was well used Gov't surplus at best that was in various stages of temporary repair.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can take everything with a pinch of salt Russia is a fantastic place. I have been there more times than I can count,been on two bear hunts and still haven't taken what i would call a great trophy but hell I had some bloody good fun.If you haven't hunted overseas before i hope you are going with someone that has or you are in big trouble. Russia is not for the faint hearted and you need a bit of c*#t about you or you can get steam rolled real easy,hell they do it to themselves so someone fro OS is easy prey. Hope it works out and that you didn't go for "the cheap" offer and are going with a good name outfitter/booking agent Cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think .300 will be better than single 375. You won't need short shots. Shoes must be worm and waterproof.

Good luck Smiler

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I realize this hunt has probably come and gone now but maybe someone else planning the same will get some benefit.

I've done this hunt twice. Haven't taken the 10' bear yet but I'm not done either. There are some really good posts already on this thread and I agree with everything already said.

The best is to make sure you learn to judge your own bears. I got talked into a small bear on my first trip as the guides tend to value their 100% success rate rather than make sure you get a big bear. I didn't find the guides to be very friendly either for that matter. But you will see lots of bears. Realize that the true monsters are rare there just as they are anywhere.

Money, yes, new, crisp $100 bills are what you need. Make sure they don't have any tears or extra ink marks anywhere. If they aren't pristine, they probably will not take them.

My hunts were in the fall so I can't speak to the cold aspect. Boots. I hunted in Lacross knee high rubber boots with ankle fit both times. Several guys used hip waders and that seemed to work just a well. If using the rubber boots like I did, make sure you have good packable rain gear. Wear the pants all the time. When you need to cross a stream that is deeper than the boots, take out your duct tape and with the rain gear outside of the boots, tape the rain pants tightly to the top of the boots. It is not water proof for extended periods of time but will get you across the stream without getting wet.

Travel, this will just wear you out so be ready for it. Especially if you go through Moscow. Realize that the flight from Moscow to Petro is 11 hours itself. Things will not go on time so don't expect it to. Just roll with the flow.

Don't try to drink with the guides. You can't keep up. Take snacks and jerky and such with you. The food is pretty bad overall. The camp will be very basic but there is a lot of culture to absorb. Enjoy it. You'll appreciate your homeland after this hunt.

If bringing your bear home as checked baggage, bring several extra heavy duty garbage bags and duct tape to keep them from bleeding on the other luggage. Check that the guides are properly salting the hides. They probably will but don't leave it to chance.

The 300 mags are fine but the 375 will be valuable to you if you have to go into the thick stuff. Expect your guide to be using crap for a back up weapon. One of our guides was using a single shot 12ga with a broken stock that had been duct tapped back together. Two others were using SKS rifles.

Excess baggage fees will be high for anything over 50 lbs. If your bear is a big one and is taken toward the latter part of the trip, it may not have a chance to dry out very well and may still be heavy. IIRC, there is an absolute max weight of 50kgs? I was worried that I was going to be over that number with my second bear in which case it will have to be left with an expediter and sent later. My impression was that this service was not reliable as it isn't used often. At least with my outfitter.

Look at the trip as a true adventure as that is what it will be. Enjoy and hold out for a big one. They are there as long as you are in a good area with a good outfitter. Don't take the cheap internet route here. Do lots of homework and make sure you have a good outfitter.