Notify
Tools

Kodiak Brown bear hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came back home wednesday. Report in progress. Enjoy one photo:

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it!

thanks

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kodiak Brow bear hunt

Period: April 19th – 28 th 2012-05-04

Area: Uyaak Bay http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sta...ntmaps/575/db117.gif

Outfitter: Munsey’s bear camp
http://munseysbearcamp.com/
Guide: Mike Munsey

Gun: winchester 375 ( from Park Munsey )

Dear Friends,
This is the report about my hunt in Kodiak island:

I reached the camp on April 20, after two full days of travel and an overnight stay at Anchorage. The flight was: Milan-Amsterdam - Minneapolis - Anchorage - Kodiak - Camp. For a total of five airplanes taken!.

We started hunting the next day. With the Mike’s Boston whaler we reached the Amook island, situated in the center of the Uyaak bay. From the beach we began to observe the mountains on the opposite coast, about one or two miles away, remaning there for the entire day. Glassing for so long is difficult and tiring. But my guide has never stopped, always with his Zeiss on the eyes.

He is also very good at identifying the bears even away. What I was not able of doing.
It must be said that Mike Munsey lives in the area most of the year since he was born. He then knows to perfection the best spots and where to look.

The spring was still late with a lot of snow that covered the mountains.

We continued glassing for several days, spotting a total of eight bears. A relatively small number that surprised even Mike but, in addition to the large amount of snow, even the weather sunny and almost warm, really uncommon for Kodiak, probably limited the movements of bears during the day.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We also tried to climb the mountains but we saw only one small bear.

Mike then decided to continue to observe from the beach and he was right. The morning of the seventh day he saw, about halfway up the mountain, a bear intent on pasture.Looking of good size he has decided that we had to try to get closer.
After a walk of about an hour we arrived in the area.
The wind was in our favor. Walking very slowly we came where the animal was sighted.
After few steps the bear, which was lying in the alders to sleep, got up suddenly about ten feet from us, and tried to get away in the thicket. Fortunately it stopped for a second to look at us. I was able to shot at this point. The 375 belonged to Munsey Park ( the Mike’s dad) has done its job to perfection, stopping the bear in place. Very exciting. After a couple of more shots ( just to be sure he was dead) we reached him.
A wonderful mature boar, 12/15 years old , with a perfect light brown color coat, almost honey-colored.

I finally got my kodiak brown bear, dreamed for twenty years. It's fun to say that, at the beginning of the hunt, I had told Mike that I was not very interested in the quality of fur, but I'd like to take a bear in a dark color. Needless to say that I am now fully satisfied of my bear hehehe.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
For this trophy I have to thank only Mike Munsey, for his dedication, for the hard work he has done, for the knowledge of the area and the great experience. Do no forget that he was always on time when we had to leave in the morning. I never had to wait a minute.
I have to say that in this hunt the work of the guide has been determinant, more than in all the others hunt I’ve done. My contribution was limited to a quick shot. So much that, although I can say that now have un extended experience, this is perhaps the only hunt in which I can say that I am sure that, without Mike, I would not take anything.
Other interesting thing to say is that, despite everything that I had said, was absolutely a hunt who requested great physical effort. Sometimes we walked for a couple of hours, without much effort, thanks to the ease of moving into the bush following the trails of animals (especially deer), another thing that I did not expect.

Lodging and food were also great.

I was in a very nice log cabin, built in the 2000, with eletricity from the generator, private room and a complete bathroom. Robin, the Mike’s wife, is a great coock, she different dishes everyday, fresh bread and focaccia daily. Services that I think are almost impossible to find in Alaska.

Last let me say that the nature of the island is simply unique. Whales, killer whales, seals, sea otters as well as thousands of seabirds and bald eagles everywhere.

And the fish? The day after the bear was taken we fished for a couple of hours taking 15 cods and this despite not being in a period when fishing is not good. Too easy!

Got my bear I left the camp earlier, stopping one day and night in Kodiak, at the Kodiak Inn, probably the best accomodation in town. Not far from the hotel I bought some delicious smoked salmon. The last night at the Millenium Hotel in Anchorage. Very interesting the hall with trophies with the most important animals in Alaska. Was my 46 birthday and I enjoined a dinner with my friend Eberhard Brunner the famous wildlife photographer.

mario

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Nice bear, Mario, congrats!

Kodiak is a fantastic, remote place.

How big was the bear? Looks 9'6"-ish or so?

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
congratulazioni Mario.

Great report and pictures too.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Mario....Congratulations on your bear!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt!

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Mario!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Guys.
Yes is over 9,5. Mike was waiting to measure the skin when is dry.

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a fantastic hunt, Mario. Congratulations on the bear! This hunt is one which is certainly on my bucket list!

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking bear Mario congrats! I am glad you had such a nice trip and the weather cooperated with you!

Posts: 51 | Location: Fort Richardson, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mario - very good hunt and a very nice bear.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mario,

Big congrats! Beautiful bear.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done and nice report!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario, congrats on a nice bear!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear! Glad you had a successful hunt! The photo of all of the tracks in the sand is quite a story.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the story and photos.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks for posting! I want a bear on Kodiak pretty bad, but then again I want it all! Smiler

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your great brown bear and also on fulfilling a 20+ year dream!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys
Yes Kodiak is definately a place to see.
Ann, I'm agree with you. Reading the tracks on the beach is a very interesting thing and also very good for understand what ther'is around.

mario

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That's a beauty...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario not only a nice bear but enjoyed the nice photos of your hunt.

Thanks, Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi just found this it was great congrats thanks for posting!!

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Mario, fantastic big bear and report, thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't normally comment on hunt reports, but those are stunning photos.

Thanks for helping the balance of trade!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm satisfied that you liked the photos. I'm a very terrible photographer...

mario

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
GREAT PHOTOS MY FRIEND CONGRATULATIONS ON ANOTHER EXTREME EXPEDITION

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Juan

mario

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great report; thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mario, IT is sure nice when a dream comes true. fine shooting and great photos.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
At last! A bear shot at close range, with one well placed round, on the 7th day of the hunt!

Well done, Mario! Beautiful pictures & a great hunt - congratulations!

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Really nice Mario!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2 thanks Anton

mario

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Brilliant. Great looking animal.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Bear.
Thanks for sharing.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kodiak is a place to see...

mario

posted Hide Post
What a bear Smiler great report with great photos. Thanks!

Posts: 4 | Location: Norway | Registered: 30 May 2014Reply With Quote