ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    Father/Son Marco Polo and Ibex in Kyrgyzstan
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father/Son Marco Polo and Ibex in Kyrgyzstan
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted
Hunt: Marco Polo/Ibex in Kyrgyzstan
Dates: January 5-18, 2013
Rifle: Remington .300 UltraMag with Bushnell Elite HDMR Scope
I used the Accuracy First system for the Horus H59 reticle and it worked like a champ. I highly recommend it:
https://www.accuracy1stdg.com/...etail.cfm?prodID=496

Shot factory Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tips. They performed flawlessly.
Leica Geovids - my favorite piece of hunting equipment and are absolutely essential for trophy judging and laser ranging.
Kestrel 4500 NV for determining Density Altitude and wind speed.
I brought a Swarovski spotting scope, but never took it out of my pack.

I have been eyeing the Marco Polo/Ibex hunts Igor (profyhunter) has been advertising on AR for quite a while. My oldest son speaks Russian and I was trying to schedule a hunt between his school semesters so he could hunt/translate, but it did not work. So I found my son an internship in Moscow that did not start till January 19, which gave us plenty of time to squeeze in a hunt on his way to Moscow.

I talked to some of the folks who had hunted with profyhunter and with good reports received, I took the plunge. I have read the reports from prezman who had an unfortunate run-in with the local officials, but I had no such experience. Some things that go with this part of the world are just out of the hands of the outfitter. My guide, Talant, was as good as any I have had anywhere in the world. While the accommodations were not first class, I had no such expectations. This is not a hunt for everyone. Lets just say this was one of the most incredibly awesome experiences I will probably never want to do again. If you do decide to take this hunt: get in shape, learn Russian or have a trusted companion who does, learn to shoot very long distances, and relax and go with the flow. This is a sketchy part of the world and sketchy stuff happens. Just know that going in.

As most of you have just read Brett’s fabulous report of his trip to Kyrgyzstan, I will just say to most of it “ditto”. Like Brett, we also used Travel With Guns, we flew into Istanbul and stayed over and saw the sights, we used Instanbul for Hunters and Arda was our guide, we flew into Bishkek then drove forever out into the vast wilderness that is the Kyrg Republic.

We left Austin, Texas on January 5th.

We flew to Chicago, then to Istanbul. We were met by Arda, who is a master with the local officials and guns, and he took us to our hotel, got us checked in, and gave us a quickie tour around Old Istanbul before we had dinner and hit the sack. After breakfast, Arda picked us up and gave us a magnificent tour of Istanbul.

After the tour he delivered us to the airport for our flight that night to Bishkek. The 5 hour flight into Bishkek arrived at about 6:45 am. We were met at the airport by Audilet, the son of the outfitter who speaks excellent English, and we were loaded into a very large Mercedes bus and hit the road. It was about a six hour drive to the base of the mountains. It is a very interesting drive, though after flying all night you will likely want to sleep a good part of it.

When we hit the base of the mountains, we switched over to a fairly primitive truck. Not luxurious, but it worked. After about 3 hours, we hit base camp. Again, fairly primitive, but it worked.

However, I must say, a squatter outhouse at -25 really sucks.

The next day we sighted in the rifle, made some minor adjustments, and then hopped in the little Russian jeep and drove deeper into the mountains.

The inside of the jeep was sweet.

On the way into the mountains we stopped at a shepherd’s house and ended up spending a good chunk of the day there waiting for horses. This was one of those things that you can either be pissed about losing the hunting time or enjoy the experience of spending the day with a Kyrg shepherd and his family. We chose the latter and it was pretty cool. Learned that this woman had killed a wolf with a knife while it was attacking her husband. These are tough people.

When we left the shepherd’s house, we began a 3 hour ordeal of off-roading at night, cramped with 6 people in a rough 4 person Russian jeep, with everyone but my son and I smoking, and terrible Russian music blaring. It was truly the ride from hell. This was the low point of the trip. We finally made it to the hunting camp.
It was way too cold to spike camp so we used a little hut with a stove. Not the ritz, but it worked.

The camp we stayed in was primitive, but it worked. We were plenty warm with the stove on. Food was plain, but good.

FYI, I was in pretty good shape when I left at 200 pounds. I was about 185 when I came out of the mountains. You burn some serious calories running up and down those mountains, and without and sugar or crap food, the weight comes off.
We had fantastic weather. Very cold at night (-18 to -25) but would warm up into the 20’s during the day. Clear and very little wind. We hunted the MP in the rolling lower mountains, but was still nearly 13,000 feet. I really worked hard on my cardio, but still felt the altitude climbing those hills. It would have been impossible to hunt without the horses:

The scenery was spectacular. Riding around the mountains on the horses was worth the price of admission itself. Although everyone says it, you truly cannot believe where those horses will take you. This was one of the unexpected highlights of the trip.

We saw a lot of MP herds, but mostly females and young males. We finally spotted a nice group of males and made a good stalk to within 330 yards and took a left rear quartering shot. He ran about 25 yards with the herd on the shot and then stopped. I was about to shoot again and he tumbled over dead.

Negative 18 can be cold

We saw a few ibex herds, but it was hard to get in a position to take a shot. We saw a herd, but the males were on the other side of the mountain, so one of the guides went around and drove them to us. We initially engaged the herd at about 490 yards, however, they were continued to run towards us and the final shot was at 287. It was fairly close, but the angle was at 17 degrees down. He dropped immediately at the shot.

The final day of the hunt, we encountered a very large herd on the next mountain over. We got on them at about 500 yards, but they kept moving. When we finally had a shot, the lead male was at 813 yards. My son drilled him in the neck and he dropped. It was an amazing shot.

We had a few days after the hunt to see Bishkek and relax and clean up. We went to a great Russian bath house and both of us got our first shave from a barber (who happened to be mute).

All in all it was a great trip. If you are up for some adventure and willing to put up with some long, long rough jeep rides with really bad Russian music, I highly recommend it. Here are some of my favorite pictures from the trip:
Muslim cemeteries are incredibly beautiful:

I went to the Blue Mosque at about 7 am on a rainy morning and there was just me and one guy in the mosque:

The Hagia Sofia had wild cats running around that cracked me up:

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU!!!....GREAT story and pics.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Epic report.
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Amazing Adventure with your Son.
Good stuff!!
Thanks for the report

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Wonderful scenery, photographs and report.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...Definitely an adventure!
Thanks for sharing a great hunting report and pics are stunning!!!

Great job tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Man that was an excellent report and an awesome adventure... those little discomforts we endure on an ultimately successful hunt end up making the trip memorable. Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Too cool beyond words!! Nice report.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Great job by both of you guys.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, and pictures!!
Congrats on the Sheep, and Ibex, always great to hunt with your son...

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Great report and some fantastic shooting as well, congrats to you and your son. This is a bucket list item for me, that I hope to get the chance to enjoy some day.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic hunt!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and a great report, thanks for sharing

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas & New Mexico | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
the photo links appear to be broken now

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

posted Hide Post
Vince,
Great photos, write up and trophies.
Thanks again for taking the time to talk with me about your hunt and the advice. Between you and Brett, ya'll are killing me!! LOL
Kent

Posts: 16 | Location: TX | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read these reports while commuting to work. Yours brightened my afternoon! Took my thoughts right away from this cramped bus seat, left over ponderings from work and someone playing annoying music at the back...

Thank you!

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
It's great to see another Austinite that's not afraid to take to the mountains. Great report and congrats!

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
UTCB - Where are you in Austin? PM me and we can grab lunch and tell lies. Vince

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vince were you able to bring your trophys back with you in your baggage?

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
I did not. I am having them shipped.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
very nice photography and report congrats!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome experience that I am sure your son will never forget, cool you could do that together. You could never begin to get him to understand what you go thru on that hunt if he had not been there. Good for you both.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report Vince! congrats on an amazing hunt with your son!

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

How did your Sitka gear work?

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vince absolutely a great write up. Congratulations.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vince,
Great report and pictures.
With your son........PRICELESS

Thank you

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a great report.
The photo's are fantastic. I can only hope I get a chance to do this with my son in a few years when he is old enough. Absolutely inspiring.
Best
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Vince, great report. Congrats on the sheep and Ibex. What an adventure. Truly not a hunt for everyone.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice report, thanks for sharing it. Congrats on an amazing adventure. Makes the hunting some of the rest of us do seem pretty mundane.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What great memories you have. Fantastic. All hunts are not equal.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Vince,
Wow! That was a great hunt report.
You & your son will certainly remember that trip.
I love to see people live life to the fullest.
Well done.
Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and congratulations.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your fantastic adventure with us! What a well written hunt report with great photos. I have to imagine that sharing this with your son made it all that much sweeter for both of you. Congratulations.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Looks like you had a great time!

Thanks for the report and great photos.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report! me and the old man are going this November for Marco Polo and Ibex as well. Your report and pics are getting me pumped!

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Kirgisztan, were did you hunted naryn or issyk kool.? Great report, thanks for sharing .

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That hunt just got put on to the bucket list. Outstanding description and photos too.

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Wonderfull photos ,great report,oustanding description of the hunt ,what can i say ,its one of the best reports i ever read ,thank you very much clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

Picture of Willem de Jager
posted Hide Post
Great adventure and amazing report, well done!

Posts: 16 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote