Find
Notify
Tools

Question Fopr Outfitters Posting Here
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My one safari hardly qualifies me for an opinion, but it was a "bad safari" by any modern counts.

1. We spent most days stopping to fix cattle fences.

2. A lot of the animals I had booked as extras (giraffe, eland, a second kudu) were not available, even though we saw tons of shootable old bulls.

3. I was asked to translate for the outfitter and another client. Which meant I got slung into the shitstorm between the two of them. If you speak another language in camp never admit it.

4. They had not intention of hunting most days before 9 am.

5. Not shooting from the truck was not an option.

6. The answer for any question I raised that they thought I was questioning their authority went "well I can take you back to Aroab, and you can find your own way back to the airport".

7. I had about $300 left in cash when we started to drive back to Windhoek. I gave it to the wife (cook). The PH told me over and over he didn't want a tip.

8. I had given the outfitter a pair of 20x80 Steiner Senators (he asked for them when I got there), and I had given him another $200-400 in cash when I left, I had actually lived in Europe when I went and had not given a lot of though to a tip. So I just gave them what I had.

9. A couple weeks after I got back I sent anything I owed for trophy fees and sent them an email via my bank. Heard nothing back.

10. About 3 weeks later I got an email from a guy in Germany claiming he had my trophies. He wanted $3500 right then, and if I didn't or couldn't pay it, he was going to raise the price every month for storage. I told him Coppersmith was the agent, not him as I didn't want them with me in Europe I wanted them sent to my folks house in Wyoming. He was going to get his money and eventually when he realized I wasn't going to pay he dropped the price to $2000-3000 and said find, I'll send them to your house in Spain and everything will be stuffed or rugged or whatever it needed. Money sent, nothing ever happened. This was a rookie mistake on my part, of course I never got the animals. I have no idea who the guy was, and this was in 2005 so the amount of information on someone was small.

11. The booking agent was Tony D'Costa, he told me when I called him to ask his opinion that he was retired, and it wasn't his problem.

I learned two things from my safari:

1. Never use a booking agent, unless you are going someplace you can't figure out on your own. More importantly never use a one man show booking agent.

2. Count on never seeing your animals again, hunt for the sake of hunting. I know people that have had their bighorn sheep trophies go missing after a hunt in Canada. It can happen.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
My one safari hardly qualifies me for an opinion, but it was a "bad safari" by any modern counts.

1. We spent most days stopping to fix cattle fences.

2. A lot of the animals I had booked as extras (giraffe, eland, a second kudu) were not available, even though we saw tons of shootable old bulls.

3. I was asked to translate for the outfitter and another client. Which meant I got slung into the shitstorm between the two of them. If you speak another language in camp never admit it.

4. They had not intention of hunting most days before 9 am.

5. Not shooting from the truck was not an option.

6. The answer for any question I raised that they thought I was questioning their authority went "well I can take you back to Aroab, and you can find your own way back to the airport".

7. I had about $300 left in cash when we started to drive back to Windhoek. I gave it to the wife (cook). The PH told me over and over he didn't want a tip.

8. I had given the outfitter a pair of 20x80 Steiner Senators (he asked for them when I got there), and I had given him another $200-400 in cash when I left, I had actually lived in Europe when I went and had not given a lot of though to a tip. So I just gave them what I had.

9. A couple weeks after I got back I sent anything I owed for trophy fees and sent them an email via my bank. Heard nothing back.

10. About 3 weeks later I got an email from a guy in Germany claiming he had my trophies. He wanted $3500 right then, and if I didn't or couldn't pay it, he was going to raise the price every month for storage. I told him Coppersmith was the agent, not him as I didn't want them with me in Europe I wanted them sent to my folks house in Wyoming. He was going to get his money and eventually when he realized I wasn't going to pay he dropped the price to $2000-3000 and said find, I'll send them to your house in Spain and everything will be stuffed or rugged or whatever it needed. Money sent, nothing ever happened. This was a rookie mistake on my part, of course I never got the animals. I have no idea who the guy was, and this was in 2005 so the amount of information on someone was small.

11. The booking agent was Tony D'Costa, he told me when I called him to ask his opinion that he was retired, and it wasn't his problem.

I learned two things from my safari:

1. Never use a booking agent, unless you are going someplace you can't figure out on your own. More importantly never use a one man show booking agent.

2. Count on never seeing your animals again, hunt for the sake of hunting. I know people that have had their bighorn sheep trophies go missing after a hunt in Canada. It can happen.

. . . seems like you omitted the most important lesson to be learned from your safari experience, it is the client's responsibility to do his/her own due diligence, to check references, to make inquiries, etc. before booking a trip. Sorry you had a poor experience.

Mike

Posts: 21286 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
it is the client's responsibility to do his/her own due diligence, to check references, to make inquiries, etc. before booking a trip.

This!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7596 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are right, 12 years ago it was mostly Hunt Reports. Neither PH had any bad write ups on there. I bought the hunt reports, but it didn't matter.

D'Costa and the outfitter had been around a while, thought I was doing an ok thing.

Every hunt I have been on since then has had a much better result, but the key was to check references. I was of the opinion that I wasn't interested in Africa for a long time. Now It is back to being all consuming like it was before.

Not sure if it will be 2017 or 2018. I like shooting more than I like trophies, so I am looking for a cull hunt. I might do the Muritanian Warthog thing in January of 2018.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tell me, Mike and BWW and others, about references and their value. References are provided by the outfitter, PH, or the agent and they will only give out names of those who will give a postive report. While this will sell hunts, how valuable is it if any disappoited hunters and the enitre experience are kept hidden? What else is out there to get a blanced report?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
References can come from a variety of sources besides an outfitter, e.g., contacts provided by friends, people who mention hunting with an outfit but have not provided hunt reports, etc. Also even visiting with folks provide by the outfitter you will be surprised at what you can learn and most folks speak pretty candidly. You can also ask people provided by the outfitter as references if they are aware of others that have hunted with the outfitter. Lots of ways to network and gather info.

Mike

Posts: 21286 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
This is the article "The Client" that I penned.

It appeared in The African Hunter magazine about two years ago and caused quite a lot of letters to the editor and emails.

The Client

I may be young, I may be old. Perhaps I am athletic and in shape or maybe a bit long in tooth and round in profile. I may come for lion and leopard or I simply come for an impala or a kudu.

Who I am is the international hunting client and what I am talking about should have been written long ago. It may be uncomfortable and frankly unpopular; nonetheless the topic needs to be broached.

We, the international hunting clients of the world fuel this industry, make no mistake. Without us the professional hunters of the world, whether good or bad, wouldn't be able to live the lives of their dreams. Only due to the client's collectively pursued passions are they able to walk daily amongst the magnificent antelopes and grim beasts of Mother Africa.

I am sure the professionals of which I speak will have some disagreement with this. I understand, and only bring these things to bear for stimulating thought......on both ends.

Somewhere along the way things, in my opinion, have gone horribly askew. On my last few trips overseas, I have begun to take notice of certain repeated behavior patterns displayed by some very well known professional hunters.

Some were in destinations I was only able to dream about in my younger years. Places of danger, places of intrigue. Fantastic places were hunted and some extraordinary creatures were pursued, successful pursuits in most cases.

I have come to the conclusion that "they" (some PHs) now somehow think it (international sport hunting) is all about them. We the sport hunting community are guilty, guilty of creating some of these ego driven, self-promoting personalities. Some of us are willing to even pay a premium to go afield with the "stars" of the industry. Why?

After you are safely aboard the charter on your way out of camp, you are the brunt of stories, jokes and anecdotal fowl ups for the next wave of "stumbling halfwits." We willingly plop down a year’s salary or more for the hunts of our lifetimes. It matters zero to them if you show up prepared physically and mentally, if you’re able to shoot, and you can see the animals. You will be treated the same as a first timer that stumbles around homesick for 21 days with your muzzle pointed at the back of their head and complains, of blisters, the heat or no ice for their cocktails.

I have formed these opinions from my own and unique position of experience. Having 33 Safaris in 21 separate trips overseas I’ve hunted nearly all sub-Saharan African countries and have collected the majority of her bounty. I am comfortable in my own skin and make no apologies. I claim no special hunting skills, only an ability to read people with an acute aptitude of situational awareness.

I write this in Heathrow, on a layover coming back from a Botswana elephant hunt. I sat one day on this last safari, at lunch listening to a PH of record and another PH that was between safaris. They openly made sport of guys, guys just like me. Guys with business', guys with jobs or perhaps retired. We return home to our families. The professionals return to the bush and make sport of me and others to the next "client". Funny thing, in all the stories, the fools they speak of don't have names, just "client".

We never take a moment to think that they feel the same about us. I maintain it's time to quit the game when the names and the faces all become one long blur of pictures, hunting stories and blown shots.

These safaris mean far more to us than it does them. This may be the one and only chance many of us get to experience these places and pursue these beasts.

I have even discussed these thoughts with one of the PHs one evening around the fire. His take was this: we finish with the hunt, get on a charter and go back to our safe lives and leave them to clean up the messes we create with our poor shooting. There is probably a lot of truth to his statement.

The romance and traditions of Africa are a powerful aphrodisiac. It draws us back time after time. I know it has me. Personally, I take my responsibility as a sport hunter extremely serious. I show up fit, both physically and mentally. A 21-day safari is a long one, at times you must focus to take things one day at a time and keep your head in the game. I also bring only rifles I can shoot and take shots I am virtually certain I can make. The last thing I want is to wound something the next client or PH must deal with.

How many stories have we all heard about client’s wives, or even daughters? Think yours are any different? They are flesh and blood just as we are.

For some untold reason, the international hunting community has assigned a “Rock Star” status or hero worship to many of these PHs. Perhaps it’s because I can think of no other “sport” where we can participate, side by side with a Professional at anything.

It's November, the phone calls start and the emails arrive. They are asking about coming over for a visit between the hunting conventions. We feel honored to have a "Professional Hunter" actually want to stay at our homes. We buy them dinner, take them places, they drink our finest single malt. We may even try to help them and book more "bumbling clients". We take days off work or away from our businesses to entertain them. Maybe it makes us feel like we are in their inner circle or within their appreciated sphere of influence.

You actually believe that you are somehow different or special. We even see it as some kind of a badge of honor that a real professional hunter from Africa has chosen me as a friend. These are superficial friendships at the very best.

Come as a client, leave as a friend?

It may be hard for some to accept these concepts and learned them the hard way. I have many friends and acquaintances that go back to Africa every year and hunt with the same guys, the same guys that behind closed doors refer to one honorable, successful and admirable man as “a Gomer”.

Personally, I have decided to change my approach. Moving forward, I will no longer go alone and look for any sort of companionship from these guys. I will now go with a pal or my wife and treat them as they should be treated, as an employee of sorts. No real difference than your relationship with your taxidermist, your dentist or the guy you just bought your new F250 Super Duty from.

A trophy celebration in a foreign language.

Now, they can celebrate "their" successful kills and I can have my own celebration with someone who is genuinely happy for me. The attending PH can take as many high quality trophy photos of himself for self-promotion as he has taken of me, and I could not care less. I once hunted with a guy that never once took a photo on his camera with me in the shot. Seems kind of nuts, but that act alone gave me the awareness to start becoming a student of these behaviors. He showed me his iPod one evening in camp. All of his pictures were of he alone, no "client" to be seen. This particular “Professional” must see the client as no more than a tool to do "his killing" for him.

Honestly ask yourselves, could any one of these guys be successful enough in business to afford to pay for one of the safaris that they ridicule "us" on?

How about personal relationships, failed marriages, questionable vehicles and finances. I wouldn't trade my life for theirs for any amount of money. I also am sure they would say the same about my life. But we don't make fun of, nor ridicule them, do we?

Have you ever gone home early?

Have you ever finished a safari early? Have there been "suggestions" of perhaps side trips? Do these side trips usually require a trip home for some reason? I think many clients prefer to just "go with the flow" and not make mention of things that probably don't sit right with us. After all, you really do want this guy to like you, right? I use to feel that way, and would say nothing. "Hey Steve, do you mind if my wife, girlfriend, brother in law, whatever comes into
camp". Well, yes I do. I now just spit it out and keep communication as open and as honest as is possible.

I have never left a safari early, not at my own request anyway. It was suggested once that, I could go home early if I wanted. I didn't, but took the suggestion as he prefer I be elsewhere so rearranged my families trip home to the order of 2,800. for changing the prearranged itinerary.

I really feel that poor communication is the biggest component of a safari gone bad. You as the paying client cannot keep your mouth closed if something bothers you. You need to stop things right then, and tell the PH what it is you want, or don't want, or what he does is bothering you in some way. It is your adventure, you're paying the bill. As long as it's not something weird or increases their cost, it should be granted. If you being popular with this guy is more important than your satisfaction on this safari, by all means, be the nice guy.

Because of the aforementioned changes, I also no longer go to the same place with the same professional time after time. I now see more of what Africa has to offer and see. I have also noticed that the same animals behave differently from country to country and game management areas. I also get to experience many different hunting styles. I will have a much richer bank of experience to call upon for stories to my children and grandchildren.

Who's at fault here?

There is plenty of blame to go around here. I think we, the clients can possibly be overbearing at times in our invitations to the PH's to come and visit. This goes back to the hero worship or rock star thing stated prior. Conversely, the professionals could just as easily tell us, they are on a tight schedule, prior commitments, whatever. My personal belief is; it has devolved into a PH being able to pick and choose who he would rather spend a few days with while in America. Can't say as I blame them for that. I'm sure many clients are a bear to be around. Think about this; nearly 24 hours a day 7 days a week for up to 28 days, with a guy you really don't care for. That may very well include me, after all, you can pay anyone to be your friend.

I truly hope my words are read as they are meant. I only wish to help someone else not repeat the same mistakes in safari hunting I have made. Keep things friendly yet, impersonal. It can be difficult, basically living with a guy, you tend to look up to a bit and not personalize the relationship.

All these things being said, I have enjoyed every minute of every day while hunting in Africa, I have made, what I thought to be close friends. As long as I feel that way thats what's
important.

Could you just bring along a brick of .22s?

Does this one sound familiar? I have been asked by more than one PH if I could "just throw a brick of .22s, 12ga, .375 etc. ammo in my bag." I chose to not spend my vacation in some African jail or trying to explain away why I have not declared it. I also probably don't have a firearm that matches the stuff in my gun box. So, the answer is, "No", and it should be yours as well.

Why do you think it is that we get requests for things? Sometimes I think we just bring gifts along unrequested. iPods, Oakley sunglasses seem to be a popular request. I've been guilty as well.

Perhaps it's just me. Maybe I'm burnt out on these musings. Hunting in Africa should be pure: it's raw beauty and savagery, her primal killing fields. Not some popularity contest. I believe it has been corrupted, corrupted possibly by us, the clients.

A friend of mine coined this timeless and appropriate phrase.

"Africa is about the men and the dust and the diesel, it sticks to your skin and cannot be washed away, nor does it wain." Andrew Baldry

What a great article. Admittedly, I fell victim to a lot of the fallacies you have described.
I have nothing against the PH and Outfitter I hunted with but like
you said, it should be a professional relationship.

Posts: 2642 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In the past, there were very few actual outfitters.

Who in most cases went hunting themselves, and checked whoever they were going to represent.

Those guarded their reputation very well, and dealt only with PHs they can trust.

Also, the PHs in those days were very proud of their profession, and did everything to make sure the client had a good hunt.

And don't forget the type of client in those days too.

Those who went to Africa took teh time to learn something about it before going.

Nowadays, the quality of all - clients, PHs and outfitters - is not what it used to be.

There are clients whose only interest is to brag about what he had shot - not really interested in hunting for its own sake.

PHs who barely had any experience culling a few unwanted animals on a farm, and they think they can provide clients with an experience they cannot forget. Many of them do not have even a small percentage of the experience of the clients they are guiding.

Outfitters who set up business as soon as they have been to Africa on a single hunt.

They think they know better than anyone else. They have become experts over night.

Luckily, we have the Internet today, and we can read both positive and negative hunt reports, and at least have the option of making our own minds.

Sadly, as with everything we do, there are a lot more people participating today than in any other time in the past. And that means we do have many people who really have no business getting involved in hunting in any shape or form.

Sometimes a client will do what he wants, no matter what he sees.

I remember an American hunter who wanted to participate in an illegal hunt in one country in Africa.

I sent him a message with all the details that what he wanted to do is actually illegal, in both the country he is going to be hunting, and ultimately in the US according to the Lacy Act.

His answer was "so what? Who is going to find out what I did?"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67086 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
In the past, there were very few actual outfitters.

Who in most cases went hunting themselves, and checked whoever they were going to represent.

Those guarded their reputation very well, and dealt only with PHs they can trust.

Also, the PHs in those days were very proud of their profession, and did everything to make sure the client had a good hunt.

And don't forget the type of client in those days too.

Those who went to Africa took teh time to learn something about it before going.

Nowadays, the quality of all - clients, PHs and outfitters - is not what it used to be.

There are clients whose only interest is to brag about what he had shot - not really interested in hunting for its own sake.

PHs who barely had any experience culling a few unwanted animals on a farm, and they think they can provide clients with an experience they cannot forget. Many of them do not have even a small percentage of the experience of the clients they are guiding.

Outfitters who set up business as soon as they have been to Africa on a single hunt.

They think they know better than anyone else. They have become experts over night.

Luckily, we have the Internet today, and we can read both positive and negative hunt reports, and at least have the option of making our own minds.

Sadly, as with everything we do, there are a lot more people participating today than in any other time in the past. And that means we do have many people who really have no business getting involved in hunting in any shape or form.

Sometimes a client will do what he wants, no matter what he sees.

I remember an American hunter who wanted to participate in an illegal hunt in one country in Africa.

I sent him a message with all the details that what he wanted to do is actually illegal, in both the country he is going to be hunting, and ultimately in the US according to the Lacy Act.

His answer was "so what? Who is going to find out what I did?"

Much truth in what have said Saeed. It's one of the things that I find most disturbing, how much the business and the people have changed in just my 40 years of being involved in the outfitting industry. It applies everywhere, not just Africa.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Tell me, Mike and BWW and others, about references and their value. References are provided by the outfitter, PH, or the agent and they will only give out names of those who will give a postive report. While this will sell hunts, how valuable is it if any disappoited hunters and the enitre experience are kept hidden? What else is out there to get a blanced report?
Cal

Hi Cal

I know I sound like a broken record, but the use of a qualified and responsible booking agent can filter the wheat from the chaff.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3409 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Cal

Hi Cal

I know I sound like a broken record, but the use of a qualified and responsible booking agent can filter the wheat from the chaff.

Steve

+1

I will add a few things

Make sure you get a buyers agent not a sellers agent. Someone who is a fiduciary for you not a reseller of outfitters hunts.

I am a boring hunter - when I hunt africa I will hunt with the same people - Save Safaris and Jason Bridger at Tholo. I really dont need a booking agent.

In my US I am willing to take a risk for sub $5k hunts - I booked with Mule Mike on AR has 2 great hunts in West Texas - I will be booking hunts with him.

I took the risk on Steve Ahrenberg and booked in Brazil with Acute Angling - I will go back with them.

My hunts are relatively low dollar price and I have zero interests in trophies and taxidermy.

If i was hunting multiple PH - I think half of hunters I know like to change their PHs. If I was hunting multiple species, different countries, different outfitters and spending real $$ - one should pm/call Larry Shores and Steve Ahrenberg and ask for a professional intro to their booking agent. Both experienced guys who use a very professional booking agent (I have meet him).

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal

I think you are right Cal, references are only worth what they are worth. Which many times isn't much.

Reports off of here are a better solution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reports off of here are a better solution

What, you mean something like the Martin Peters hunt report posted recently !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM or private messaging is a valuable tool,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Cal

I think you are right Cal, references are only worth what they are worth. Which many times isn't much.

Reports off of here are a better solution.

It is difficult to get an honest report.Too many are scared to speak about any negative experiences.The AR good old boys club is not there for nothing. Big Grin

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cal

I always ask for a reference from a hunter who did not make a kill last season. If that hunter feels that they had a good hunt despite not getting to pull the trigger I feel that it holds more weight. However I've gotten to the point where for the most part, with a few exceptions, I don't trust any guides or outfitters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Cal

I always ask for a reference from a hunter who did not make a kill last season. If that hunter feels that they had a good hunt despite not getting to pull the trigger I feel that it holds more weight. However I've gotten to the point where for the most part, with a few exceptions, I don't trust any guides or outfitters.

Interesting. I wonder if the PH's whom lurk are starting to get it? Once the Clients understand the allure presented to us in the form of "Romance and Tradition" is merely a sales tool, it arms us with a clearer head when making these decisions.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3409 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knowledge is never a bad thing...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Cal

Surestrike:
Your opinion of booking agents is…
Just curious as guides, outfitters, and agents don't make a thing unless the hunt is sold. They are all in the same boat.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how hunt reports works anymore. If it worth paying for or not. In the past I thought it was valuable, but I think a lot of people will fail to produce a report when they should have.

I don't think enough people know about it for it to remain viable.

One man show booking agents scare the hell out of me. Saying that there are a lot of folks on this site that fall into that group I would probably use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cal

Surestrike:
Your opinion of booking agents is…
Just curious as guides, outfitters, and agents don't make a thing unless the hunt is sold. They are all in the same boat.
Cal

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, HOWEVER. Their job is to sell you a hunt. Kind of like asking a Chevy dealer who he thinks the best automobile maker is. A booking agent is going to sell you what they have in inventory, not necessarily what is best for you.

You'll find out how good a booking agent truly is AFTER something goes wrong. By then they've got your money and for the most part you're already screwed. There are very few booking agents that will actually go to bat for you in a meaningful and useful way if the poop contacts the fan.

I'd have to have personal knowledge and a close working relationship with a booking agent before I'd consider using their services. I took a short and chilly dip into the booking agent world once upon a time. I worked for two years with one here in Denver. The experience soured me on the whole guided hunting industry. It also taught me to be able to spot the BS that gets slung by booking agents, guides and PH's all the time. And that BS is often thick and deep and odoriferous.

My vast preference is DIY hunting. Which of course is not always possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That ^^^^^^^^ being said a good booking agent can save you a ton of trouble in the form of knowing the little details, and ins and outs, that you would have never thought of as a first timer or even an old veteran trying out a new hunt.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd have to have personal knowledge and a close working relationship with a booking agent before I'd consider using their services. I took a short and chilly dip into the booking agent world once upon a time. I worked for two years with one here in Denver. The experience soured me on the whole guided hunting industry. It also taught me to be able to spot the BS that gets slung by booking agents, guides and PH's all the time. And that BS is often thick and deep and odoriferous.

Without naming names, I (and I'm sure many others) would find your information valuable.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That ^^^^^^^^ being said a good booking agent can save you a ton of trouble in the form of knowing the little details, and ins and outs, that you would have never thought of as a first timer or even an old veteran trying out a new hunt.

I'll give you a qualified "for instance." I wanted to do the Bongo/LDE safari in CAR. I wanted to go in 2011. My agent did the research and found that the optimum time for a successful LDE (in the rut, having a black cape) and a good chance at a Bongo was during a full moon.

That said, there is only a few dates that fill that niche. He wanted me to wait till 2012 when those dates were available. How many agents would stop you from booking a hunt when you want to go?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
What I seek to know is where the line is drawn between "puffing" and outright lying. An attorney friend used the term puffing when a used car dealer tells you it is an outstanding car and a super deal. Such puffing is legal. Where lying is "The brakes are new" and they are worn to 20% is not legal.

Is there a line in the hunting world, and if so, where is it?
Cheers,
cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I seek to know is where the line is drawn between "puffing" and outright lying. An attorney friend used the term puffing when a used car dealer tells you it is an outstanding car and a super deal. Such puffing is legal. Where lying is "The brakes are new" and they are worn to 20% is not legal.

Is there a line in the hunting world, and if so, where is it?
Cheers,
cal

How bout posting pictures from a different area when putting up a hunt offer?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7596 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Without naming names, I (and I'm sure many others) would find your information valuable.
Cal

Without naming names, I'll say this. The agent I worked for is not a member on this site. The agent I worked for was probably as up front and honest as it gets in the booking industry. The agent I worked for was extremely knowledgeable and only booked for outfits in which there was firsthand knowledge.

It was the creepiness of the industry at large and some of the other guys that turned my stomach.

Here are some examples of crap that happens all the time.

Outfitters who advertise a fixed price to the booking agent and allow the agent to add on their commission at any rate they can get away with.

Traditionally an agent gets 15% of the daily fees and in some countries (South Africa) they also get a percentage of the trophy fees. Plus up commissions are a scam!

Jacking people on plus ups on charter fees. I've seen it done multiple times. I had some clients that got charged $1,000 each instead of sharing the $1,000 charter fee. They were shocked when they booked with me the next year and only had to pay the shared $1,000 fee in total.

Here is one that really pisses me off and I've had it done to me! Keeping lower paying clients away from areas that hold a known trophy animal. I actually had a PH bragging to me about how he talked a client out of shooting an 80Lb elephant once with all kinds of excuses about a large root cavity, not 100% sure about the legality of the location etc etc. but the real reason was because they had one of their high roller repeat clients coming in the next week.

I've been kept out of an area that I knew had a 44" hard bossed bull in it. I watched him for almost an hour the night before. When querying why we weren't hunting there in the morning I got a bunch of crap about how these buff move, they'll be in the area we are going in the morning, blah, blah, blah. The next day a rich Texas oil man shot that exact same bull exactly in the area where we'd seen him. I overheard the PH of the Texan thanking my PH for the tip on where to find the big bull. Big tippers/ repeat clients get priority on the good stuff.

Outfitters/ booking agents that knowingly sell hunts where there is no quota. Happens on leopard more often than you would believe. The client pays his daily fees and is merrily toured about the bush without the slightest intention of them ever seeing a leopard.

Booking agents that book hunters into areas with outfits they haven't ever met or have any firsthand information about.

Agents that sell a two buff 14 day hunt as a 7 day hunt for two hunters at a massive mark up.

Listing small buffalo bulls as rations quota then charging the client a full trophy fee. Let's the outfitter sell more buffalo, screws the client.

PHs that take a kick back from taxidermist and or snake a huge portion of the pack, dip and ship fees fir themselves. Little stuff like that.

Once again that being said not all outfitters and agents are snakes. But the industry seems to have a healthy population of vipers slithering around in it.

Don't even get me started on Alaska and Canada!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cal

Without naming names, I'll say this. The agent I worked for is not a member on this site. The agent I worked for was probably as up front and honest as it gets in the booking industry. The agent I worked for was extremely knowledgeable and only booked for outfits in which there was firsthand knowledge.

It was the creepiness of the industry at large and some of the other guys that turned my stomach.

Here are some examples of crap that happens all the time.

Outfitters who advertise a fixed price to the booking agent and allow the agent to add on their commission at any rate they can get away with.

Traditionally an agent gets 15% of the daily fees and in some countries (South Africa) they also get a percentage of the trophy fees. Plus up commissions are a scam!

Jacking people on plus ups on charter fees. I've seen it done multiple times. I had some clients that got charged $1,000 each instead of sharing the $1,000 charter fee. They were shocked when they booked with me the next year and only had to pay the shared $1,000 fee in total.

Here is one that really pisses me off and I've had it done to me! Keeping lower paying clients away from areas that hold a known trophy animal. I actually had a PH bragging to me about how he talked a client out of shooting an 80Lb elephant once with all kinds of excuses about a large root cavity, not 100% sure about the legality of the location etc etc. but the real reason was because they had one of their high roller repeat clients coming in the next week.

I've been kept out of an area that I knew had a 44" hard bossed bull in it. I watched him for almost an hour the night before. When querying why we weren't hunting there in the morning I got a bunch of crap about how these buff move, they'll be in the area we are going in the morning, blah, blah, blah. The next day a rich Texas oil man shot that exact same bull exactly in the area where we'd seen him. I overheard the PH of the Texan thanking my PH for the tip on where to find the big bull. Big tippers/ repeat clients get priority on the good stuff.

Outfitters/ booking agents that knowingly sell hunts where there is no quota. Happens on leopard more often than you would believe. The client pays his daily fees and is merrily toured about the bush without the slightest intention of them ever seeing a leopard.

Booking agents that book hunters into areas with outfits they haven't ever met or have any firsthand information about.

Agents that sell a two buff 14 day hunt as a 7 day hunt for two hunters at a massive mark up.

Listing small buffalo bulls as rations quota then charging the client a full trophy fee. Let's the outfitter sell more buffalo, screws the client.

PHs that take a kick back from taxidermist and or snake a huge portion of the pack, dip and ship fees fir themselves. Little stuff like that.

Once again that being said not all outfitters and agents are snakes. But the industry seems to have a healthy population of vipers slithering around in it.

Don't even get me started on Alaska and Canada!

This is super informative.

I have seen some of it and believe a lot of this takes place especially when you have $100K hunts where trophy, experience, expectations all blend into one plus the randomness of hunting.

I am interest in the Alaskan and Canadian insider tips.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just say no!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a ration of hunts sold in British Columbia a few years ago that did not honestly have tag quotas on them.

Guy gets ready to shoot, guide bumps him as he shoots and he misses the animal. Or a guy spends 10 days chasing rainbows in areas where there are no known animals. Just like your leopard hunts.

I had a booking agent tell me that the majority of guys over 70 hunting marco polo sheep get their ram shot by the guide. Usually the guy misses, and the guides ask to borrow his rifle "in case a follow up shot is needed" and go up the hill and shoot a big one.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Surestrike:
Your post brings back memories.

My first Africa hunt in 1994 a young and talkative PH told me excatly what you state: larger trophies are kept for higher paying (and higher tipping) clients.

A fairly well-known Zim PH (who is advertised here) sold me a sable hunt (2005) for the "Trophy fee only" to entice me to take a sable. I did. The trophy fee was then $2000. I was billed $4500.

How about PHs doing everything possible to get extra income by stating the trophy is outstanding and it is small to medium at best. My Zim PH hunted Tanzania for a year and directed me to shoot a lion that didn't have much mane as the mane was pulled off from a life in the bush. I have him on video tape stating it was a 5-5 1/2 year old lion. After the fact I learned it was a sub adult at 2 2/12 years. (He is currently advertised here on AR but not in Tanzania any longer).

Alaska pilots charge flight time both ways but on the return trip they bring another party in and they are charged both ways, also.

I got BS'd by my 1997 Zim PH for a $500 airport pickup fee. The company didn't charge for this back then and through SCI hunt reports I found no one else paid the fee. It was just to get extra money when the owner was not around. He lost my business.

But, I still love going there and 2017 will see 1-2 trips over the pond.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so glad to have been in the very lucky group regarding hunting and fishing and just general outdoor recreation. But Ive only been at this "pay for" for stuff for about 30 years.

In that time I have only been on two truly bad paid hunts. On both occasions we just packed it in and left. One was regarding the amount of actual hunting acreage and land that was very misleading. The other was regarding that we made a second trip to a place we had been and had a great hunt, however this time the outfitting/owner assigned a guide to one of my guests. While that was fine, he owner did not take in to account the personal disgruntlement and disregard of his guide toward other hunters. That was a bad decision.

Both of those hunts above happened right here in North America.

All of the rest I have been on have ranged from extremely satisfactory all the way to great to freaking great, with most trending toward the two later descriptions. In comparing them, there has to be some accounting for the level of what we chose and paid. But I will say that whether from a tent or a grass roofed hut, to 5 star surroundings, I don't remember anytime where the outfitter, guide, PH, and the client (me) didn't get and give the best of all us that was available.

As far as tipping goes it has never been an issue one way or another. Certainly I have never felt any pressure about it. Nor do I remember a single request for any tips, and certainly not those of any of the extraordinary kind. At times myself ( or the companies I was with or the guests) have paid tip monies but then also added to the peoples or the outfitters equipment with things ( most of being newly purchased for them) like cowboy boots, cameras, binoculars, rifles, shotguns, and of course things like clothes for camp staff, whatever and some other rather big things like computers or even an outboard motor ( thats a long story Smiler ) but in the end I can say all of that was well appreciated and we probably smiled as much or more than they did.

For what it is worth, I owned an offshore fishing boat right here in Texas. During one of the events we had a group of corporate executives and managers from a company that the company President is a personal friend of mine for years. They came and had a great fishing trip for several days, drank and ate on our tab, and used the yacht club facilities and our best equipment. On board I had 2 captains and a mate plus we had all kinds of extras. For all that work, they didn't offer or tip the captains or mate a dime. They were absolutely hopping mad and were going to throw some office guys in the water at the dock. My boat guys wouldn't even attend the close out party with them. I told the boat guys don't worry I will take care of it. And I did. But I sure didnt invite those guys back either. When it came up later at lunch with my buddy, he raised an eyebrow and said something to the effect of "What the hell - you are kidding me . ." I said no I'm not. If the guys added a 1000$ to their expense reports for tips though you just might want to keep that in mind in their day jobs.

Thats my 0.02 cents.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Saeed,

So you don't think wording like "Gratuity at hunter's discretion" is appropriate? To me this means that the hunters can leave a tip or not but that it is traditionally part of safari. Rather than this being interpreted as asking for tips upfront it might be interpreted as letting people from non tipping cultures understand that hunters on safari usually tip. It might save some embarrassment for those folks.

Mark

01. All air travel before and after the contracted period of the Safari
02. Accommodation and travel charges incurred before and after the contracted period of the Safari
03. Transfer by road from international airports to camp
04. Trophy fees for animals taken or wounded
05. All air charters
06. Gratuities to Professional hunters and other staff members
07. Preparation, packing, documentation and export of trophies

Mark,

Above is a perfect example of what I mean.

It is mentioned so the client is made aware that it is expected, and he better pay it.

I have no problem with tips, in fact, I think I might tend to over tip, where service provided is as expected or better.

I refuse to tip - or pay what hotels and restaurants call "service charge".

There has been occasions where I have crossed that off my bill, and refused to pay it, making sure the manager knew why.

I have had some reports from some of our members where apparently they are presented with a list of everyone in camp - with what is expected as a tip, and they were told this is normal.

The day someone does that to me on my last day in camp, I will throw it away, and not pay a penny, and never deal with that establishment again.

As a guide and outfitter I agree, tips should never be an expectation and operations should pay their staff appropriately so tips aren't necessary to allow a fair wage. Tips are a gift, and not part of any hunt's agreement, while very much appreciated I actually often find them rather awkward to receive. Especially if it's at the airport / drop off when I'm not able to do anything extra for the client in thanks. There should be no expectation, and of course then no listing of tips in the hunt costs. My biggest pet peeve is tip options showing up on every fast food & service credit / debit card machine lately, that's the same form of expectation Saeed's pointing out just on a small scale. It's supposed to be a gentlemanly favour and if it's asked for, it's no favour it's an obligation and the meaning is lost to both the giver and recipient.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surestrike:

My first Africa hunt in 1994 a young and talkative PH told me excatly what you state: larger trophies are kept for higher paying (and higher tipping) clients.

A fairly well-known Zim PH (who is advertised here) sold me a sable hunt (2005) for the "Trophy fee only" to entice me to take a sable. I did. The trophy fee was then $2000. I was billed $4500.

How about PHs doing everything possible to get extra income by stating the trophy is outstanding and it is small to medium at best. My Zim PH hunted Tanzania for a year and directed me to shoot a lion that didn't have much mane as the mane was pulled off from a life in the bush. I have him on video tape stating it was a 5-5 1/2 year old lion. After the fact I learned it was a sub adult at 2 2/12 years. (He is currently advertised here on AR but not in Tanzania any longer).

Alaska pilots charge flight time both ways but on the return trip they bring another party in and they are charged both ways, also.

I got BS'd by my 1997 Zim PH for a $500 airport pickup fee. The company didn't charge for this back then and through SCI hunt reports I found no one else paid the fee. It was just to get extra money when the owner was not around. He lost my business.

Cal

I still have a strong interest in hunting wild Africa. But the thought of actually spending the money, only to get slimmed again turns my stomach. It is very difficult for me when a PH knows my background yet they still pull their BS. I know what they're doing, THEY KNOW I know what they're trying to pull. But they have so little respect for any client they'll do it any way.

I have had to restrain myself on several occasions. If you are going to knock your PH out. You need to be sure you know the way back to camp. Known position and direction awareness is a serious consideration before knocking your guide unconscious. And I refuse to take anymore crap off of any of these arrogant pricks. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Surestrike:

Cal

I still have a strong interest in hunting wild Africa. But the thought of actually spending the money, only to get slimmed again turns my stomach. It is very difficult for me when a PH knows my background yet they still pull their BS. I know what they're doing, THEY KNOW I know what they're trying to pull. But they have so little respect for any client they'll do it any way.

I have had to restrain myself on several occasions. If you are going to knock your PH out. You need to be sure you know the way back to camp. Known position and direction awareness is a serious consideration before knocking your guide unconscious. And I refuse to take anymore crap off of any of these arrogant pricks. Wink

Arrogant Pricks, Noted. Big Grin Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Part of being professional is to not disclose information about any client. It is one thing if a guide or PH is talking to another person that he works with but never a client. I have had to sign non disclosure agreements in the past. Top executives of major corporations will make you do this if they are entertaining customers. A CEO of a major corporation told me one time that he wanted his hunt to last as long as possible. Reason being that he had his prospective customer's full attention while he was in the duck blind.

There needs to be accountability on the client as well. A client should let an Outfitter know his health condition before he books any hunt. People need to know their limitations. If you are thirty pounds over weight then you need to reconsider that sheep hunt. Something that use to bother me is having people that can not shoot. It makes my day much more difficult and it educates the game. Finally one day I just accepted that having non shooters was part of the job. Now when people miss I simply tell them that it is ok and that missing is part of the sport! I do scratch my head when I hear them on the phone saying that the hunting was not that good after I personally saw him shoot five boxes of shells and kill three ducks.
Most good outfitters and PH's are extremely stressed out during the entire safari until you get your trophy. If they are not stressed then they do not care about your experience or their reputation. Most times I am much happier than my clients when they harvest their trophy. Yes I am happy for them but for me it is instance stress relief.

Yes it is a business relationship and there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion if you do not like something. Mean what you say but don't say it mean! Loosing your temper will not get you that extra effort or more bangs for you bucks. Most likely it will only get you more blisters and sore leg muscles. When I was 2o years old I got the worst cussing of my life from a client. We were fishing the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament and the prize money was over one million USD. We had a marlin on that was well over 800 pounds. Client had been fighting her for at least two hours. When I made my fist wrap on the wire she jumped and I did not let go which made the fish pull the hook. It was my fault and I deserved any and all hostility. The rest of that week went by real slow. Worst thing was that my cut of the prize money would have been around 150K and no I did not get a tip that week!

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Just found out today that a friend and client of ten years passed away. I will be headed to VA to be a Pallbearer by his sons request. Bonds are built between hunters through comoridity and times spent in the field. Like I posted earlier. Good clients make this the best job on Earth. Find an Outfitter that you enjoy and trust. The hunting will take care of itself.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Does "soliciting" a tip include the space on every single restaurant credit slip that you will ever sign for "gratuity"? Sometimes I think all the protesting about and searching for reasons to complain about tips really translates to just being cheap.

Nothing wrong in tipping and nothing wrong in being cheap. Money is hard earned (and heavily taxed in the US) and a lot of guys hunting africa get all bought into the marketing story of them being the next great white hunter instead of just a client for a high priced discretionary vacation.

Not tipping at least for an American is being a jerk. Just budget it in your total cost of a safari and if it is not worth it find something else to spend the money on. But kind of matching some extreme expectation of tipping is joke. I have heard a few PHs talking about being tipped a double rifle. To me that is the other extreme of shootaway tipping his PH $50 and a game scout $600. Its an irrelevant standard no one normal client should be held too.

And on being cheap and tipping I observed some interesting stuff in coat check tipping in high end NYC restaurants. Whenever we went for business dinners the sales guys always were the biggest tippers. End of the dinner they would take out a $20 or $50 bill and tip the coat check girl. Every billionaire I ever had dinner with tipped like $3-$5 - maybe I hung out with a bunch of cheap value investors. But few finance billionaires for whom $50 or $100 was irrelevant ever frivolously tipped. They tipped inline for the service rendered.

Mike

I think tipping is up to the individual and if the service sucked, you are not being a jerk. You are giving them what they deserved. As far as billionaires being cheap.... that is how they got to be billionaires. The sales guy on the other hand, was probably on an expense account and giving away someone elses money.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always tip, regardless of how bad the service may have been...a habit I learned from my father. He always said that if you leave nothing, it might be inferred that you had simply forgotten about the tip. However, by leaving an insultingly small gratuity, your meaning cannot be misconstrued.

My wife always disagrees on this point; she calls me cheap when I leave a small tip, and berates me when I have, in her opinion, "over-tipped". She likes to leave 10% for the worst possible service, and 15% for the best imaginable. Go figure.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Lianga Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Saeed,

So you don't think wording like "Gratuity at hunter's discretion" is appropriate? To me this means that the hunters can leave a tip or not but that it is traditionally part of safari. Rather than this being interpreted as asking for tips upfront it might be interpreted as letting people from non tipping cultures understand that hunters on safari usually tip. It might save some embarrassment for those folks.

Mark

01. All air travel before and after the contracted period of the Safari
02. Accommodation and travel charges incurred before and after the contracted period of the Safari
03. Transfer by road from international airports to camp
04. Trophy fees for animals taken or wounded
05. All air charters
06. Gratuities to Professional hunters and other staff members
07. Preparation, packing, documentation and export of trophies

Mark,

Above is a perfect example of what I mean.

It is mentioned so the client is made aware that it is expected, and he better pay it.

I have no problem with tips, in fact, I think I might tend to over tip, where service provided is as expected or better.

I refuse to tip - or pay what hotels and restaurants call "service charge".

There has been occasions where I have crossed that off my bill, and refused to pay it, making sure the manager knew why.

I have had some reports from some of our members where apparently they are presented with a list of everyone in camp - with what is expected as a tip, and they were told this is normal.

The day someone does that to me on my last day in camp, I will throw it away, and not pay a penny, and never deal with that establishment again.

Hello Saeed

I understand what you are saying and that it might be interpreted wrong, but i have dealt with a lot of clients in my short career of a PH and Outfitter and you will not believe how many people clients out there think that they do not have to tip because its already included in the daily fee. It was not until one of my oldest clients and dear friend mentioned it to me, that i need to mention it and put it under exclusions because it looks like it is included if i do not mention it.

At every show that i have done in the past people will still ask me if it is included or excluded even if i mention it.

The PH's that guide for me and my lodge staff all know, and i tell them before a hunt do not expect a tip because you get a salary and if they give you a tip its a bonus... PERIOD!!!

I get on every show a client that will ask me what must i tip, what is a good tip, how much? and so on and i tell them all, you tip according to your satisfaction with the service that was delivered to you, if you do not want to tip you don't have to my people know they do not work for a tip, they work for a salary.

So to come back to the whole idea of mentioning it, i do not think it is wrong!!!!

The Idea of the included and excluded on a safari package is to show people what they have to pay if they want to and what is included, that they do not have to pay.

Tarek Jansen
PH and Guide
trkjansen@gmail.com
+27 79 352 1419
www.liangasafaris.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2016Reply With Quote