Find
Notify
Tools

Quatar Airlines anygood?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
They seem to be a fairly cheap partner with Namibian to fly to Windhoek from Frankfurt.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not flown them in a few years, but great service and the prices are hard to beat. Coach in the $800 range and business in the $4,000 range from ATL to WDH. Sure beats Delta's $1,700 and $11,000 from ATL to JNB and then another $300 from JNB to WDH...

Would be nice on a 787 Dreamliner.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are they gun friendly?

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Qatar last year to Zim.

I think the service & food are a bit better on Emirates, but no major complaints. Kathi got the tickets for me & handled the firearms paperwork. All went smoothly.

Posts: 448 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I can tell you more after September, but I am looking forward to trying their QSuite in business class. It is the only airline that I know of that offers free drinks and amenity kits in coach. From everything I have read and the videos I have watched it seems that their business class is better then BA and AA first class.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
QA business class is FAR better than BA or AA first class. It’s too bad their prices to Africa have doubled since last year.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Qatar business class is a wonderful experience. The airline is easy to deal with on guns as well. Will be traveling again mid September to Zimbabwe

Posts: 83 | Location: Buckholts, Texas | Registered: 11 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Qatar business Q-Suites are the best there is. Need to keep prices down, however, or they will not get my business.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, Quatar business class is top notch and I haven't had any issues traveling with guns.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Qatar business class is a real class above. Eurowings flight direct from Frankfurt to Windhoek (booked through Lufthansa) is a much cheaper option but it sure isn't Qatar. It's 8am arrival and 7pm departure in Windhoek make it easy to travel to and from your lodge.

Posts: 369 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would pick a direct flight over connecting any time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a friend of mine flew Qatar from Dallas to Johannesburg. He had MAJOR issues with the guns in Dallas. While his guns arrived, none of his other bags did. This has gone on for several days now.

I'll let him give details.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Lots of airlines are having problems with flights originating in the US, with passengers traveling with guns.

I cannot help but feel it all might be due to someone against hunting and guns.

Some of the things I have heard point to someone deliberately do it.

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back last night from Namibia flying Qatar. One of the best experiences with airlines I have had. Flew from Atlanta to Windhoek, had a layover in Doha so I stayed at Al Maha Lounge, $53, did not have to touch bags including my rifle. Things could not have gone any better. Really liked that once I checked in at Atlanta I didn't have to fool with any permits or opening rifle case until you arrive at you destination. You do have to notify them prior to departure that you have a fire arm and get permits but they didn't look at them when checking in. I'll definitely use them again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had major issues with Guns and bags getting lost / not arriving on Qatar.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
We have had major issues with Guns and bags getting lost / not arriving on Qatar.

Buzz,

Are these clients flying Qatar all the way or connecting with other airlines?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed- They have all been from the States but the issue seems to have been getting their bags on to Qatar from the internal flights!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have all been from the States but the issue seems to have been getting their bags on to Qatar from the internal flights!

Unlikely that Qatar can be held responsible for what sounds like short-landed luggage from another airline.

Connecting timings play a vital role where luggage transfer between one flight and another is concerned and any delay for whatever reason, from an inbound flight, can result in a case of short-landed luggage.

It would be wise therefore to ensure your booking agent allows for a respectable wait between connecting flights to hopefully avoid such scenarios.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tis just gives more credence to what I have been hearing.

And I am almost certain it is done on purpose by people in the US.

Very sad indeed that individuals paid to do a job go out of their way to impose their convoluted views on their customers.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

Unlikely that Qatar can be held responsible for what sounds like short-landed luggage from another airline.

Connecting timings play a vital role where luggage transfer between one flight and another is concerned and any delay for whatever reason, from an inbound flight, can result in a case of short-landed luggage.

It would be wise therefore to ensure your booking agent allows for a respectable wait between connecting flights to hopefully avoid such scenarios.

Yes, but the problem is deeper than that. Qatar Airways is a OneWorld alliance member, so I'd guess that connecting flights in the US are usually booked on American Airlines, as was mine on June 30th. I had a 7-hour layover in DFW. That was not the problem - the problem was American Airlines refusing to load my rifles because their internal website said I needed special permission from the Qatar Ministry of the Interior. Details here: Problem transporting rifles on AA connecting to Qatar Airways

En route, I met two other hunters from Arizona that had exactly the same problem, though AA in Tuscon was finally willing to check their baggage only as far as DFW. So they were able to get their rifles to DFW, then check them there. In Stillwater, Oklahoma, they refused to check my baggage only as far as DFW, so I had little choice, but to go without a rifle and rent one there.

Posts: 721 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t get why you guys don’t just pick up your luggage including firearms in the last port of US and re check them directly onto Qatar?
When travelling with firearms I always do this and it removes the risk of guns not showing up.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WR500:
Don’t get why you guys don’t just pick up your luggage including firearms in the last port of US and re check them directly onto Qatar?
When travelling with firearms I always do this and it removes the risk of guns not showing up.

American Airlines refused to check the bags only as far as Dallas. They said it couldn't be done.

If I had to do it over again, knowing what I do now, I would've booked the first leg separately.

Posts: 721 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My answer to the original questions is "yes", Qatar is very good as far as cabin crews, inflight services, meals and so forth are concerned. Check-in and gate staff are another matter entirely. There are huge problems with baggage as well, but I think much of that is not their fault.
We returned home today from a hunt in South Africa, when we checked in at DFW when leaving, it took over 2 1/2 hours to check rifles/ammo because none of the ticket agents knew how to do it. We went thru 4 different agents before we got it done and then I had to show them their rules and emails I had received verifying we had permission to carry rifles/firearms. Same scenario leaving Joburg yesterday, only took a bit over an hour on that one. We will continue to fly Qatar if flights are not available on Emirates.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI...for those of you flying out of DFW to Port Elizabeth or any other airport serviced by SAAirlink, Qatar will want to check your bags all the way to final destination. I would not do that as it gives the thieves several hour free time with your bags.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Every airline that I have ever flown wanted to check my luggage to the final destination unless I had to go through customs at some point before the final destination.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
Every airline that I have ever flown wanted to check my luggage to the final destination unless I had to go through customs at some point before the final destination.

If you are carrying a firearm and/or ammo, you will go thru customs in SA in order to get temporary firearms permit or transit permit. Also to remove ammo from bag to ship separately. In our most recent trip, they checked our bags thru to destination (even though asked not to). Our firearms cases were correctly sent to SAPS office where permits were received. Bags with ammo were not and according to response from Qatar, that is where the problem arose. Bags were sent to “security area” due to notes is system that bags had ammo. Had they checked them only to Joburg, we would not have been bag and ammoless for almost 2 days. Not saying the bags wouldn’t have been ransacked but there would’ve been much less time for it to happen.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from Namibia.

Seattle - Doha - Joberg and return.

Qatar customer service was very good. Friendly and on top of things. They were very helpful in all areas.

I would recommend them.

Howard

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
The 2022 answer to leaving the US with guns is simple..

I have a simple system that has worked year after year without issue to multiple locations around the world.

NEVER check them all the way through! I am fortunate to live 5 hours from Dulles so sometimes I drive and sometimes fly, but have friends that always fly in - we buy a round trip ticket to Dulles and a round trip ticket to the international destination.

Land, gather luggage and go to the hotel. Since we arrive a day early, we have a nice dinner and overnite at the Dulles Airport Hilton. We take the shuttle the airport the next day and catch our international flight.

99% of the issues are baggage transfer from domestic to international - so we AVOID that issue. Also it can take anywhwere from 30min to 4hrs to clear customs on return - this way its no stress since we are just heading to the hotel afterwards and coming back the next day to catch the domestic flight home..

I book my international flight with TWG but make my domestic reservations myself like any other flight I would take..

Does it cost more? Probably.. But it is worth it and Dulles has just about any international flight you need.

I've done this to Africa, Asia and Europe with guns and never had an issue - not once...

Turkish and Emirates are my favorites although I used to take the SAA flight to Joberg if I was by myself simply because it was direct..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone figured out who to contact at Qatar Airlines to receive formal permission to transport firearms? So far I have been almost completely unsuccessful in my attempt to obtain the required permission.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was successful twice using the contact info I sent you. Or your travel agent can surely handle it.

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, their website right now is a total mess.

I could not get anywhere on it??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just tried the numbers that I was given by Qatar Security, a real person answered on second ring on one and the second I had to “press” numbers to get a real person. Numbers are below:

877-777-2827-press 1, then press 3.
323-990-6223-real person answered on second ring.
Hope one will work for you.

Just corrected first number…

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the continuing help. The second number was apparently for reservations only, and knew nothing about firearms transport, but I found someone helpful using the first number. I pressed #1, as suggested, but there was no opportunity for a second button press. I've submitted my paperwork as instructed by their staff and now we'll see what we see.

Before you call these people you will need to know:
Your booking record id.
You exact itinerary.
Your booking email address.
The credit card you used to book.
A copy of your 4457
A copy of your Namibian customs form
A copy of your Namibian Police Import Permit request
A copy of your letter of invitation
A copy of your drivers license
A copy of your passport
A copy of your Qatar Airlines declaration of firearms surrender - I did two of these, one for each way.

Oh, a kicker is that all image attachments must all be submitted in the same email, and the total attachment size may not exceed 6MB ... ask me how I know ...

I'll update this thread with my results.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Though the sum of the attachment sizes was less than 6MB, the email was rejected as exceeding 6MB. I have put all the files in a compressed archive totaling 4.7MB in size ... once again, we will see.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The compressed archive was rejected even though it was below the 6mb limit. This time I attached only copies of four of the documents, well below the threshold. If I hear nothing in return within a couple of days, I'll reduce my file sizes to the point of illegibility and try try again.

Someone really described this process as easy?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Thank you for the continuing help. The second number was apparently for reservations only, and knew nothing about firearms transport, but I found someone helpful using the first number. I pressed #1, as suggested, but there was no opportunity for a second button press. I've submitted my paperwork as instructed by their staff and now we'll see what we see.

Before you call these people you will need to know:
Your booking record id.
You exact itinerary.
Your booking email address.
The credit card you used to book.
A copy of your 4457
A copy of your Namibian customs form
A copy of your Namibian Police Import Permit request
A copy of your letter of invitation
A copy of your drivers license
A copy of your passport
A copy of your Qatar Airlines declaration of firearms surrender - I did two of these, one for each way.

Oh, a kicker is that all image attachments must all be submitted in the same email, and the total attachment size may not exceed 6MB ... ask me how I know ...

I'll update this thread with my results.

Wow!!! Never had to jump thru those hoops, only asked them to add a note on my booking that I would be traveling with a firearm and ammo; however, I did supply the gate agent with all of the above mentioned documents, be sure not to sign the declaration until in front of the gate agent. I guess it all depends on which employee you talk to, you didn't do too well, but you got it done! Be sure and take those copies with you to check in (and they may well make new copies, especially if leaving thru DFW!). I'd be interested to learn if CBP interviews you at the departure gate, too.
Once you get on the plane this will all be just a small bump, enjoy your hunt!

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s not a done deal yet. Other that a confirmation that they received my email, there’s been nothing but ringing silence. I’ll try one more time on Monday, then plan on using a rental rifle.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
When I flew Qatar with guns last October, I was having some difficulty with my gun permission. Just over a week before departure, I called Shawn Kennedy of Gracy Travel for her advice. I had booked my ticket direct using FF miles, so was hesitant to ask for help since I hadn’t used her for my plane ticket.

Shawn told me to send everything to her and she’d handle it. I think her fee was $100 or $150 to do it for me. She said agents have a back channel not available to the public.

I had my gun permission confirmation less than 72 hours later. You might want to give Shawn Kennedy a call.

Posts: 3909 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
It’s not a done deal yet. Other that a confirmation that they received my email, there’s been nothing but ringing silence. I’ll try one more time on Monday, then plan on using a rental rifle.

I don’t recall ever getting anything but a confirmation that I would have firearm/ammo as checked baggage. Apparently, the Qatar employee puts a note on ticket confirmation in their computer. I’ve always called their reservations number a couple of days before departure to verify my booking showed carrying firearms. Always has, but maybe policy has changed since last month, wouldn’t surprise me.
Emirates was different, always get an email from Group Security giving OK to check firearms.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just flew on Quatar. You have to get permission to carry rifles before hand, They are pretty anal about you signing a declaration at the airports as well when you check in! Other than that everything went smoothly.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote